More And More Air In Pump Basket

lrodptl

I opened the pool and filter pressure was around 10 PSI and pump basket had the bubble at top. A day later the filter was at 18 PSI and the pump basket was half water half air. Indication of suction leak? When filtering there is some choking and sputtering at the return ports. Thanks.

I am not an expert but from my pool-owner experience, if I were you I'd check the gasket at the top of the pump basket (is it old and stretched out or do you need to add some pool/spa lubricant to it?) or it also could be a leak in the jandy valve. Try tightening all the screws around the valve on the top, or take it apart and clean and check it, then reassemble the valve. Another thing I've had happen is the large gasket on the filter container got old and I replaced it - and I've also had air getting in around that gasket and used pool/spa lube on the large gasket and that stopped air leaks too. I'm sure a professional has more ideas but with my pool those have been some places I've had air leaks before making my pump basket get air.

Usually if you have a suction leak that is getting worse, the pressure would go down rather than increase. Perhaps look for something keeping the water from flowing normally. Not nessesarially and obstruction but rather a restriction. Partially closed valve, a dirty filter, or one that needs replacing.

Usually if you have a suction leak that is getting worse, the pressure would go down rather than increase. Perhaps look for something keeping the water from flowing normally. Not nessesarially and obstruction but rather a restriction. Partially closed valve, a dirty filter, or one that needs replacing.

Thanks,this filter pressure is now going from 13 to 20 in 2 hours with a pump basket half filled with air. Just changed all the filter elements with brand new ones when I opened the pool 7 days ago..

Thanks,this filter pressure is now going from 13 to 20 in 2 hours with a pump basket half filled with air. Just changed all the filter elements with brand new ones when I opened the pool 7 days ago..

What type of filter is this?

What type of filter is this?

It's a Hayward DE. No Solar. I will be replacing the multiport valve and 2 screw on ball valves today. Unless both suction lines are leaking below ground or at the pool,everything will have been changed,cleaned and blown out. Won't know til I start it back up tomorrow. Thanks for looking.

If you had a suction leak, you would NOT get pressure rise. How much DE are you putting into the skimmer after you clean the filter? What size DE filter is this?

5 15oz coffee cans to open and after backwashing I add about 1 can. Air in pump basket is 1 bubble when pressure is at 10 PSI and a much larger bubble at 15 PSI and half air/half water at 20 PSI.

5 15oz coffee cans to open and after backwashing I add about 1 can. Air in pump basket is 1 bubble when pressure is at 10 PSI and a much larger bubble at 15 PSI and half air/half water at 20 PSI.

There is your problem, One can after backwashing is not enough. 5 1lb coffee cans may also not be enough.

What size is your filter?

You need 4.8 lbs of DE to properly precoat that filter EACH time you backwash. That is almost half of a 10lb pag. I would measure the DE that way rather than using a coffee can. Coffee is more dense than DE is. IOW, A 1lb coffee can filled with DE is not 1lb of DE.

At this point, you need to disassemble the filter and clean the grids. Backwashing may not get all the debris you have impacted or impregnated into the grids from not having enough DE on the grid. They may even need to be chemically cleaned. The grids themselves are not the filter but rather a bed for the DE to lay on. The DE is actually the filter.