Zodiac Baraccuda Mx8: Can't Run Skimmer When This Is Running?

I have a Zodiac Barracuda MX8 that I just installed.

For it to work properly, it seems to require me to either entirely or nearly entirely shut off the valve that connects the skimmer to the pump.

The skimmer and the line for the vacuum are separate, but both go to the same pump.

Before I installed the Baraccuda, as long as the filter was clearn, I could have each open to 50% and both the skimmer and vacuum would work.

There is no main drain. I have all returns pointed up. The zodiac manual says to point them down, but they are currently set up perfectly to move water towards the skimmer. Is it that important that they be down?

Thank you.

Hey callmeammo

It isn't necessarily that important that the jets be facing down, however it is recommended to allow proper flow for the cleaner itself.

As for the cleaner operating, it prefers good pressure coming from your lines, which is what it receives when you have the valve closed off from your skimmer line.

Have you tried running the cleaner through your skimmer line itself? The MX-8 comes with a hose adapter that will fit into your port in the skimmer, and this may improve the suction power. Many people override this dedicated cleaner line as it isn't completely necessary to be used for cleaning specifically.

On another note, the MX-8 has been one of the most recommended of the suction based cleaners due to the efficiency and versatility. Many good reviews from past customers.

Hope this helps

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...