Need Some Help Cleaning Residue Off Of Hot Tub Shell.

Hey guys, I have a tough situation one that I need some help with. I bought a Hot Spring Envoy a few months back and the previous owner did clean and rotate the filters as often as he should have. The plastic at the top and bottom of the filter started to brake down and it got into the hottub and developed a layer at the surface level of the hot tub. I tried to get it off, but if I get a magic eraser I have to scrub it for about a minute to just get a little bit of it off. It would take forever to clean the entire hot tub like this. It's a very thing (but hard) residue to get off. I can actually scrap it off with my finger nail if I work hard at it. (I've attached a picture of part of my shell so you can see it.)
I was wondering if anyone had any ideas of a product (hopefully something I can pick up a Home Depot or the grocery store) I can use to spray on the shell to help brake this stuff down so that I can clean it off the shell. I really want to get this stuff off my hot tub. Thanks for your help!
photo.jpg

I actually found the following info online from a hot tub dealer. Any thoughts on which one would work best? Also what sort of brush / sponge do you think would work well on the shell without scratching it? I need something to help me scrub it.

Thanks.

When the hot tub is empty, you

can clean the surface by using a mild, nonabrasive liquid detergent, or specially formulated hot tub cleaner. For general

cleaning, any of the following items can be used: Ivory (soap & water solution), Formula 409, Windex, Spic and Span,

Scrubbing Bubbles, Fantastik, Simple Green, Pine Sol or any product available at your local hot tub dealer. For heavy

cleaning, you may try one of the following cleaning items: Soft Scrub (may slightly abrade surface), Bug & Tar Remover

or OOPS. Do not use an abrasive brush or cleaning agent, as it will scratch the finish. DO NOT USE any of the following items to clean your tub: Acetone, Goof Off or any cleaners that contain esters, ethers, ketones, aromatic or chlorinated hydrocarbons, Isopropanal (concentrations greater than 25%). I

• 2 weeks later...

Two solutions I recommend using common household products that will not harm the spa surface is a solution of vinegar & warm water, and citric acid (Depending upon what the build-up actually is).

If the build-up is a metal deposit, apply citric acid (Vitamin C tab, a wedge of lemon/lime/orange) to the problem areas. If the citric acid dissolves the build-up, the problem is a metal deposit (In my region, its typically a calcium build-up). Your local dealer will have metal reducers available to add to the water that will rid your surface of the problem.

If the build-up is a chemical deposit/scum build-up, I have suggested a mix of 1 part vinegar to 4 parts water and that has worked well in the past. Again, both of these treatments will be safe for the surface of the spa.

Good luck.

The best solution I have found for excessive mineral buildup is to simply lower the PH of the water to 6.5 overnight and it all just comes off without scrubbing, I reccomend this because it also removes the deposits from inside the pipes at the same time.