Top Of The Line Test Kit(S)

Hello, I'm new to the pool water chemistry and the board.

Without starting an argument, what would the experienced users here, consider to be the top of the line test kits? I am looking for accurate results that are easy to read. I would also like to find a kit that contains all the tests that need to be checked on a regular basis, if such a test kit exists.

With that being said is there a sticky, or spreadsheet, that details which tests should be done, the frequency the tests should be performed, and the desired result of each test.

Thank you,

Mike

The kit you want is the Taylor K-2006 (NOT the less expensive K-2005) It uses the FAS-DPD titration method for testing free and combined chlorine (or total bromine with the K-2106 test kit) that does not use color matching but is a drop counting test with a definite color change from pink to colorless that can even be read accurately by most colorblind people. It has a precision of up to .2 ppm for the chlorine tests or .5 ppm for the bromine tests and can accurately read sanitizer levels in excess of 25 ppm so it can be used at shock levels or with high CYA levels. . It has a high precision (.2 increment) pH test with acid and base demand tests, titrations for total alkalinity and calcium hardness and turbidity test (disappearing dot) for CYA (stabilizer). (CYA test is not included in the K-2106 since it is not needed in a bromine system.)

LaMotte has a similar test kit (#7022) but is is about twice the price.

The Taylor kit is also available as a private label kit from Leslies and also in a modified format from another supplier who leaves out the acid and base demand tests and the high precison pH test but includes a wide range lower precision pH test and an OTO test for total chlorine. The OTO test is useful but you can get the Taylor OTO/pH test kit for around $7 as an add on if you desire so I would still recommend getting the Taylor or Leslies branded one.

Hope this helps.

Waterbear, your response is greatly appreciated, thank you for the quick response. I plan on purchasing the Taylor K-2006 test kit either online or from Leslies. I've bought test strips from other local pool stores in the past, but have never been happy with the results. Until finding this forum, I never realized how important it is to test the pool water on a regular basis. I have a lot to learn and am glad I found this site sooner than later. Thank you once again!

Mike

If you opt for the Leslies private branded version be aware that most of their stores do not stock the item and you will need to purchase it online. They call it the Chlorine FAS-DPD Service Test Kit. The Taylor kit can be had from many online retailers. Be cautious if purchasing it on Amazon since there have been reports of people ordering the K-2006 and being sent the K-2005 instead by some of the vendors. Amato Industries generally has good prices on Taylor Kits and Reagents but they can be a bit slower to ship than some other retailers.

Waterbear, thank you for the heads up!

I ordered the Taylor K-2006 today from Amato Industries through Amazon.