Jandy Lx Heater Blower Not Blowing

H,

I have a Jandy LX heater, about 5 years old. When I turn on the heater, it sounds like it's trying to start but the blower never kicks in, and it eventually the system shuts down.

I manually rotated the fan inside the blower so I can get the blower to turn on, but the first cycle should run at the highest speed, then cycle into a lower fan speed when the igniters kick in. The blower though, never reaches that high rate of speed, and it idles for about 1-2 mins then the system shuts down. We had the pool guy out, who wants to replace the blower for around $575, but after reading on this forum about obstructions (especially during seasons of disuse), I want to explore that first. I would like to pull the blower, but the pool guy said that there are two blowers, one on the other side of the unit, which is too hard to get to without breaking things.

What do you make of this? Do you think it's worth pulling the blower at the entrance of the heater at least? Or does it just sound like a blower that's simply trying its hardest to die?

C Crawford

I'm not sure what second blower you are talking about. Either your pool guy is misinformed or you misunderstood what he said. There is an exhaust blower that turns on when the cycle intiates. You can easily tell by holding your hand over the exhaust vent. If you don't feel the air then you have a problem. You also didn't mention any error codes.....what codes are you getting?

IIRC, the blower does have two speeds (pre-purge, and ignition), but if you are not getting the velocity out of the blower to satisfy the air switch, blower may need to be replaced. Your pool guy may have told you about breaking things getting to the blower to try and deter you from working on and repairing yourself. You shouldn't have to break anything (or come close to) to get at the blower, just be careful and take your time. Power and gas off, etc, etc.

Disclaimer:

If you aren't comfortable working on a gas fired appliance, then don't.