Sand Coming From Return Jet

Hello all-

First time pool owner here. We just opened up our pool and luckily had a friend of the seller show us the ropes. Unfortunately, there was an ongoing issue that they chose to ignore. There are two return jets and they always left one shut off. This is because sand tends to come out of that jet. He said it happens on occasion so they left it off. I tried testing it and sand blew out right away.

From what I have read, the most likely cause is a broken lateral. However, every answer I found was when all jets were blowing sand...not just one. Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas as to what it could be?

Thanks!

Hey there

The issue is definitely due to broken laterals, as it is the only means of allowing sand to pass through your plumbing.

As for the one return allowing sand to pass through, that may be another issue involving the pressure in your system. Check the reading on your gauge on your filter. It should be anywhere between 12-18 psi.

Replace the sand in the filter and inspect the lateral assembly. There may be a crack in the pipe itself or the little filter tubes on the bottom.

Hope this helps

if this was an ongoing problem from the start, the problem could have been from improper installation of the sand. When introducing the new sand, be sure to put water into the tank first. This will allow even compaction below the lateral as well as above. Improper compaction due to just adding the sand W/O water is the leading cause of lateral failure.

Good Luck