Help! I Screwed Up Hayward Pro-Grid De Filter

After being distracted by other things I mistakenly vacumed the pool on backwash setting ( as opposed to waste) to make matters worse I then turned on the filter and ran it for 3 hours (approx) with no Earth in the filter. I think I may have done this one time the night before. Is the filter element shot? I am anxiously awaiting a call from my pool guy who installed the filter a few years ago. I am sure im not the only idiot who has done this.

Who normally breaks down your DE filter to clean the grids? Your grids will need to be inspected for tears or rips that would allow the DE to end up in the pool. Cleaning the grids are a real pain but, simple if you do one at a time. Grids are usually pretty sturdy; they have to be to stand up to the years of exposure to chlorine and other pool chemicals. Even if one or multiple grids are torn, they can be purchased at your local pool store for around $30 each.

The filter should be ok.

The filter is durable and should not be damaged merely by having the debris filtered in reverse. To be sure, you can inspect for tears or obvious signs of damage, and replace if necessary for a minimal cost.

If there are no tears you could probably get away with continuing filtering but not in the backwash setting :)

Keep an eye on the quality of your water and give it a couple days.

Best of luck