Filter Housing

Hello All. I recently acquired a hot tub from a friend who bought a home where the spa was left behind. Being It was in good shape, I took it, wired it up (with help from this forum) and voila, she's running fine. However, I do have a few concerns/questions about the filter system.

This spa uses a WaterWay DynaFlow.....like this one:

4-15-0081_big.jpg

It sits in my tub in this position:

platinum-31jets-350.jpg

Does anyone know how these filter/skimmers work? Is the skimmer weir supposed to float at the water's height? When I turn on the jets, the skimmer weir sinks back into the filter basket housing. Is that what it's supposed to do? Also, the suction feels DANGEROUSLY high when the jets are on. I mean, it really pulls hard. With nothing covering the area,,,,,I'm worried about someone getting too close and ..........well......better not to think about that. Thanks for any info that might help me out.

When the pump is on high the filter weir will get sucked down. When the pump goes off it should float to the water surface so that any debris inside will be kept in place so you can remove it.

With the pump on high there will be a lot of suction through that filter as you noted but its also sucking through the footwell of the spa where there is a suction fitting with a grate over it. If something blocked that filter it is desinged so that it just pulls through that footwell suction.

OK, Not sure what the issue may be then. When I block the weir with my hands, it keeps on sucking......not really letting up as far as I can tell. Maybe the footwell suction grate is partially blocked up. Didn't really check that out. The tub has been sitting for probably 2-3 years outside....covered...but plenty of pine needles, leaves, etc had to be cleaned out of it, and there was plenty of stuff blowing around the water when I cranked it up even though I cleaned it good. .

Well, I think I may have found the problem. I hope someone can tell me. At the bottom of the filter housing is a flap, looks to be on a spring. The spring appears broken. I can move the flap manually....but it stays where I put it. Should it be on a spring system?