New Pool - Should I Fight The Pool Installer

So first of all thanks to all the great information related to pool chemistry in this forum...LOVE IT!

My pool guy tried to sell me an UPGRADE on a Ecosmarte System - almost considered it, so thanks again.

A bit of background...in ground fiberglass pool, 14,000 gallons, NE Ohio (4 months swim season), Heat Pump & Sand Filter with two speed motor.

I've had a pool when I was much younger and remember the issues with stabilized chlorine and CYA levels, etc...so I want to be careful of course. I was just planning on using the BBB method. HOWEVER my pool guy, who is relatively trustworthy, is almost INSISTING that I at least install a Automatic inline tablet feeder to "supplement" my bleach.

His reasoning...

With the short season, CYU should not massively buildup and since I travel a bunch having an automatic feeder (with stabilized chlorine) set on low will allow me to maintain decent levels without having to worry about the wife figuring out the test kits, etc. He claims that I would not STUFF the feeder with 100 pucks, just a few and set it on LOW and then use my bleach to top off levels, etc.

I almost want to stay 100% away from the "automatic" stabilized route as I really don't want to drain and refill, as I live in the country and refilling a pool is not cheap.

The auto feeder is only $100 or so, but still I am not sure there is any value in it.

I guess I could use these calcium hypochlorite tablets, but WOW are they expensive.

http://www.poolandspasupplystore.com/servlet/-strse-1581/Cal-dsh-Hypo-3-inch-Tablets/Detail?gdftrk=gdfV21867_a_7c234_a_7c539_a_7cS3300

If my thinking is wrong - please help me clear my brain.

Thanks in advance....

You can't use Cal-Hypo in a Trichlor feeder. It dissolves too quickly and you for sure can't mix them (not even using the same feeder at separate times) since it's explosive.

It's not a bad idea to have a Trichlor feeder for vacations, but you don't need to have an inline feeder for that and can use a floating feeder since it won't be for more than a week. That won't add too much CYA. For every 10 ppm FC, Trichlor increases CYA by 6 ppm. So if you use 2 ppm FC per day of chlorine, then that would be an increase of about 8.5 ppm CYA over a week. If you cover your pool with a mostly opaque cover, then you'll use a lot less chlorine while you are away. Or you could have someone add chlorine to your pool while you are away.