Pump Wiring

Can someone please help? My husband works offshore and our swimming pool pump motor went out. I bought a new motor but I didn't realize when I took the old one in, that the pump is dual voltage and I didn't pay attention to whether it was set for 120v or 240v. I think it's 240v but I'm not sure and don't want to blow up a brand new motor. I set the pump for 120v and wired it up, but it just hummed then tripped the breaker. Does that mean it is wired wrong and should be set for 240v or is something else the problem? I can't find his meter to check the voltage on the line. THanks for any help

Can someone please help? My husband works offshore and our swimming pool pump motor went out. I bought a new motor but I didn't realize when I took the old one in, that the pump is dual voltage and I didn't pay attention to whether it was set for 120v or 240v. I think it's 240v but I'm not sure and don't want to blow up a brand new motor. I set the pump for 120v and wired it up, but it just hummed then tripped the breaker. Does that mean it is wired wrong and should be set for 240v or is something else the problem? I can't find his meter to check the voltage on the line. THanks for any help

It could mean that the supply is 240 and in that case the hum is just short of the smoke that makes it work coming out.

However it could also indicate other supply related problems.

I would switch the motor to 240v and flick the switch on off and see if the motor runs at all.

HTH

• 3 weeks later...

The easiest way to tell is by looking at the breaker that supplies the pump. If it is a double breaker, then it is 240. If you have a timer, look at the timer itself, most timers used are not dual voltage. The diagram will tell you if you how to hook it up. If you have a wire connected to terminal 1 another to terminal 3 (line side) it is 240. If you see one hooked up to terminal 1 and another hooked up to "neutral" then you have 120. Hope this helps. If you wired it for 120 and it is actually 240 and you turned it on, then you may need another pump. They don't last long when miswired. Hope this helps. If you need more help email me, and I'll walk you through it.

• 2 weeks later...

The easiest way to tell is by looking at the breaker that supplies the pump. If it is a double breaker, then it is 240. If you have a timer, look at the timer itself, most timers used are not dual voltage. The diagram will tell you if you how to hook it up. If you have a wire connected to terminal 1 another to terminal 3 (line side) it is 240. If you see one hooked up to terminal 1 and another hooked up to "neutral" then you have 120. Hope this helps. If you wired it for 120 and it is actually 240 and you turned it on, then you may need another pump. They don't last long when miswired. Hope this helps. If you need more help email me, and I'll walk you through it.

you could also look at the plug on the pump. or the outlet. if it's 110, it will look just like any other 110v device, with two slots parallell to each other, ground terminal round directly underneath. If it's 220, one of the slots will be perpendicular to the other....or it could be a twist lock with all terminals being in a circle, that's usually 220 also. or you could stab the outlet with a cheapie volt meter. home depot has them for about 20 bucks. very useful tool around the house.