Aquapure 1400 Reading "no Flow"

kpoman

I was receiving several error codes from my unit about a year ago (don’t remember them now) so I did some research online and realized I probably had a bad sensor. Ordered a new one (part # R0452500) and had our local pool service install it. Everything worked great and the system was again making chlorine. I decided to clean my cell last week by dipping it in a water and muriatic acid mix for 30 minutes. All the scale came off no problem. I re-installed the unit and now I don’t get any error codes – just “no flow”. I thought the pool might be low on salt so I took a sample to our local pool supply company. They gave me a reading of about 2.2 gpl. I was told I needed to add two 40 lb. bags to bring it to about 3.0 gpl (I have an 23,000 gallon pool). When I added the salt, the sensor gave me an error code of 145 – meaning too much salt. I took another sample in and I’m actually right where I need to be at 3.0 gpl. Now the sensor outputs “no flow” with no included error codes. I unplugged the sensor, cleaned the three sensor pads, unplugged the small board, checked for loose wires, plugged it back in. Power cycled the cell, and bam! I was back to making chlorine! However, after about 5 minutes, the sensor went back to “no flow” which means no chlorine. I’ve only had this damn sensor for 9 months! Do I need a new one again. What could it be? I would appreciate any help. Thanks.

Are you sure this "small board" has a button? I couldnt find one. I will look again. Thanks.

***Update: So I looked and there it was, the small button. I powered the unit off and unplugged the small board. Plugged it back it, turned the power on and pushed the small but until the green light flashed on the board. The cell then read flow and I was making salt again for about 10 minutes then it went right back to "no flow". What could it be? Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Unfortunately, this "no flow" problem is quite common with the Zodiac product. There's no way the average consumer, who has already paid quite a bit of money for this system, should be fooling around with pushing buttons after 4 minutes to trick the system to work properly. Nor should people be buying new sensors out of frustration - I know I'm one of them. The real problem is defective merchandise that Zodiac either refuses to admit or willfully ignoring. Try to get their "tech" people to come out and inspect!

I have a 1400, less than one year old, system. I can't get the system to work properly either due to the dreaded "no flow" indication on the One Touch. Then again, I can't get the Aquapalm to function properly either. Also, the new NVL multiport I purchased to replace the leaky NVL on my DEV48 filter doesn't fit due to a union switch! Yes! Zodiac makes a multiport that doesn't fit their own filter!!

A litany of complaints both here and elsewhere strongly suggest a class-action against a company that produces junk and sells it as quality merchandise.

I'll probably end up biting the bullet and replacing the entire system with Pentair.

I strongly urge anyone who is considering a Jandy/Zodiac product to look elsewhere.

Sure enough when I arrived home this evening, the "no flow" indication was on again. I pulled the sensor, wiped, and reinstalled. The cell went on and stayed on for a 1/2 hour or so. Then, back to "congratulations on your purchase of this fine Jandy product!" - or "no flow".

The filter is clean - two days from a full clean-out and recharge (DE).

Obviously, there's flow or my spa waterfall wouldn't be flowing free and easy.

Is there any way to circumvent and disable the flow sensor without compromising the salt sensors?

I'm leaving town soon - I can't rely on this piece of junk to chlorinate the pool. What an engineering fail this is that a faulty flow indicator can stop the unit from functioning.

Are you asking for help, advice, or just venting?

I suppose a bit of all three - it is very frustrating after spending so much $$ to replace my last AquaPure system. Also leaving town soon, which has me concerned about the pool that I service myself.

But if you have any advice, I appreciate it and I am grateful.

Some background: I run solar through a Sta-Rite Intelliflo @ 3150rpm (peak).

Filter is a DEL48, freshly cleaned out and reloaded. Salt is at 3400. Cell was OFF during reloads and salting for 24 hours. (just last week)

AquaPure1400 unit is less than 1 year in operation. Also use a Nature 2 downstream - which is probably saving me right now .

I am proficient with all equipment.

I apologize for my bitterness, but my opinion of the brand is quite low.

• 4 weeks later...

Back from Holiday and it appears that the pool held for at least for awhile. The unit must have shut down a day or two before I returned.

Of course I now have a new error code - 172/185 - which is the flow sensor.

Did the drill - cleaned the unit, etc., etc. checked the wiring.

Rebooted the system electric - sometimes this works to reset the OneTouch communication.

Guess I need yet another tri-sensor??

• 3 years later...
On 6/10/2013 at 3:16 PM, loge23 said:

Unfortunately, this "no flow" problem is quite common with the Zodiac product. There's no way the average consumer, who has already paid quite a bit of money for this system, should be fooling around with pushing buttons after 4 minutes to trick the system to work properly. Nor should people be buying new sensors out of frustration - I know I'm one of them. The real problem is defective merchandise that Zodiac either refuses to admit or willfully ignoring. Try to get their "tech" people to come out and inspect!

I have a 1400, less than one year old, system. I can't get the system to work properly either due to the dreaded "no flow" indication on the One Touch. Then again, I can't get the Aquapalm to function properly either. Also, the new NVL multiport I purchased to replace the leaky NVL on my DEV48 filter doesn't fit due to a union switch! Yes! Zodiac makes a multiport that doesn't fit their own filter!!

A litany of complaints both here and elsewhere strongly suggest a class-action against a company that produces junk and sells it as quality merchandise.

I'll probably end up biting the bullet and replacing the entire system with Pentair.

I strongly urge anyone who is considering a Jandy/Zodiac product to look elsewhere.

Unfortunately, I've gone down this rabbit hole of replacing components and educating myself on every aspect of this system.

before I buy another part, sensor is this case, I want to know what the sensor is sending or not sending to the main board.  If I can intercept that communication and either nullify or replace with the obviously correct information of  YES there is "FLOW".   I haven't hooked up the sensor to an analyzer yet but that is probably the next step.  Once I know what a good signal looks like of course i can ensure it always gets that signal.  Basically hotwire the thing into always assuming there is flow.

So any other geeks out there want to hook up some sensors and reverse engineer this thing with me?

• 3 years later...

Well, it's been awhile - two AP1400 cell replacements and countless error codes ago to be sure.

I was about to go to replace yet another cell but decided to pull the plug on the Zodiac AquaPure 1400 and look elsewhere. My neighbor uses a Hayward and has very little problem with it and gets multi-years out his cell. So there was that. I always liked Pentair - maybe because I had a good relationship with the Pentair reps when I was in the business. I can still buy from distribution (I'm a retired distribution pro) but even I find the online prices better in many cases; the Big 3 have pretty much shut down online sales anyway although you can still find a few.

I found Circupool which is a new company for me out of Texas. They sell online. I ripped out the AQ1400 and brought and installed a Edge 40 model from Circupool. All is well so far. Positives include an enhanced electronics box, see-through cell, a limited 7 year warranty, and the online support is excellent. Changes from the AQ include much shorter cell and flow sensor cords and no interaction with automation. The power box does have all the alerts/power levels/controls that you need, but you have to access that at the box site. It's still new but working fine so far so I'll withhold a performance endorsement for the product for now BUT, it's great to have an alternative to the Big 3. It's worth a look at circupool .com. They have some other cool stuff: an ozinator, and a Ph controller notably that I'll consider after a reasonable trial period for the Edge unit.

The pool business can use a little disruption, so welcome, Circupool!

• 3 weeks later...