Rebuilding A Sundance - Help!

iced98lx

Well after selling the reliable Colman 480 series I had the fiance decided she really didn't realize how much she liked the hot tub. Soo... I started looking for a used one since I wasn't keen on spending $12,000 again and selling it for $4000 when she decided that it was too much upkeep. I was surprised by an offer from my future brother in law (he's marrying my future wife's sister) to pick up his hot tub for free since he sold his house and needed it moved. The tub is a sundance 7 footer that I don't know much about. When I got it home I found much to my dismay the 'winterizing' that had been paid for didn't pay off:

IMAG0064.jpg

IMAG0062.jpg

IMAG0068.jpg

Now I'm looking for the end of the Volute for both big pumps, and found this: http://www.spaandpoolsource.com/6500-288theramaxfrontpumphousing2025hp.aspx

This looks to be exactly what I am looking for for the Emerson T55MWCCE-1208 and T55SWBNC-999 pumps that are in the tub (one two speed, one one speed). Obviously I wont' know if I need impellers or possible an entire wet side until I get the pump out, but I'm hoping not.

Any suggestions on things to check/look at? It's a full foam tub so I can't check every connection, but seems like there are a lot of scary places things could go wrong. I will be leak testing this in the garage prior to moving it into the back yard and hooking it up.

Also any suggestions on getting the connections off the main pumps? those things are TIGHT!

Thanks!!!

Best bet is what you have in mind, which is to leak test it before placing it, be sure you are filling it on a flat surface. If the pumps froze, I'd almost bet those jets in the center of the floor are cracked on the back side.

Best bet is what you have in mind, which is to leak test it before placing it, be sure you are filling it on a flat surface. If the pumps froze, I'd almost bet those jets in the center of the floor are cracked on the back side.

Yes. The jets in the footwell dome are very susceptible to freeze damage and are a lot of work to replace. Keep your fingers crossed that you don't have issues there.

John

Can I get to them from the top to at least take a look at the jet bodies? "A lot of work" meaning I have to set it on it's side and tear apart the bottom??

I'm going to get these pumps out and get the covers ordered and on and see what I can see for this. The heater in these just runs through the separate recirc pump, yes?

Thanks for the suggestions, a little disgruntled that the person who was supposed to winterize this didn't apparently.

If you end up having leaks at the foot dome jets, the tub will have to go up and you will have to go at it from below. Cross that bridge if you get to it. Order and replace the front volutes and see if you get lucky. It is unlikely that you will see cracked jet bodies from above unless the damage is really horrific. If you can see THAT much damage to the jets from above, expect a lot of issues throughout the tub.

John

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Im fixing the same exact problems. Both pumps are fixed and now its leaking. My foot well jets are cracked and leaking on the underside. Im hoping to find the parts. I turned it on its side and dug out all the foam from the center (big messy mouse poop foam)

Hope I don't land in that, I just got parts for the two big pumps, if you find parts and what not post them up, and post up some pictures of the underside dug out!

Next leak ID'd as the PVC connecting the hose to the drain port.

Starting to seriously doubt that the foot jets have any hope of being not shattered but so far water level at the base of the seats is holding once drain was plugged.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks for the offer James didn't see this until now. After getting everything in the equipment bay to not leak there is still a leak in the foot jets as suspected. Based on the condition of the rest of the tub (not as many jets as we'd like) we're going to sell this one to try to get the $200 I have into it back out and just buy a new one.