Temperature Sensor Replacement

Gletob

I have a (not sure which year, late 90s prob) Hawkeye Dream Series.

It used to have a temperature offset of about 10 degrees F. Now the temperature is completely off registering at 63 F constantly. The hot tub will continue to heat until the High Level Probe makes it cut off. Since it does register that it is too hot @ about 110-120, I'm pretty sure it's the Temperature Sensor which is broken, which has a part number of 9920-400125. I'm ready to order this part, but I'm not sure how it is attached. Advice from anyone who has experience with these or ideas would be much appreciated.

I did find the part at http://www.hottubwarehouse.com/Gecko-Temperature-Sensor-9920-400125-p/9920-400125.htm

And from what that picture shows, it has the same connector as mine. I'm fairly certain that the sensor is secured between the two lights but I'm not sure what the process is for replacing it.

Any advice, questions, etc. is much appreciated.

The temperature sensor probe is mounted in a sensor head that passes through the wall of the spa. Follow the cable for the probe. If it disappears into foam, carefully chip away the foam until you expose the sensor head. There will be a nut on the end of the sensor head that compresses an o-ring against the stainless steel probe effectively holding the sensor in place and keeping the spa water from leaking out between the probe and the sensor head. NOTE: Before you loosen the nut to remove the bad probe you'll want to empty the water from the spa to just below the sensor head. I usually skip this step - quickly swapping the probes with negligible water loss - but this isn't my first rodeo. After you loosen the nut you should be able to pull and slide the old probe out, insert the new probe, and finger tighten the nut back down. If you removed foam from around the sensor head it is advisable to replace it. If the back of the sensor is not properly insulated from the equipment area, the heat created from the spa equipment may be registered by the sensor giving you distorted water temperature readings.

BB