Building A Shelter Around The Hot Tub - Need Ideas

CleJohn

I figured I would post this here. I havent found ANY good information. Just a lot of spam sites listing things that arent really related.

I have my Viking on a 8 foot by 8 foot pad (the plastic one)

So here is the list of things I want in a Hot Tub Shelter
1. a Roof to keep off rain
2. sides because I live next to a gas station and there is an apartment complex where one person "could" see.
3. an area in front of the hot tub (I am thinking 4 foot by 10 would be ideal (hence the 14x10 dimension) for disrobing and maybe getting out of the rain and reading book when not tubbing. Might be a good sitting area for those not bathing too. maybe even a bench out of wood later.

I am thinking of making something 12 (or 14') by 10'. I am thinking simple metal roof panels. and some sort of privacy for the side. I live in Cleveland so it does get cold in the winter for sure. Since I am sure you guys have seen this. Does anyone have links or ideas on how to build something? I have all the woodworking tools to do quite a bit of damage I am just looking for some pointers or pictures or plans. Spring is coming and Id like to make something. I saw a 7000 dollar room kit at the spa place which would be nice but I dont know 7 grand for a bunch of painted sheet metal seems excessive when I betting I can make something for sub 1000 dollars.

what we tried thus far is this

3xBxrpF.jpg

200 dollars at Sams club but it wont last and I cant see buying a new one every year. One thing i have learned from Hot Tub ownership is winters in Cleveland might not get tons of snow.. but WIND! wow.. there is a LOT of wind. So.. I need to make something solid.

Thanks!

The electrician that hooked up your tub ought to be slapped silly, the outlet on the wall is required by code to be more than 5 ft away or covered with a plate.

That aside, your cheapest durable solution is to build a simple one angle roof attached to your house and supported beyond the tub, easily sub-$1000.

Looks just close enuf that you could unplug your boom box without getting out of the tub.

Sure, you could make pop-tarts while you tub.

I went out to do a repair at one house and they had a TV on the corner of the spa, no.... not a low voltage one built in, this was pre-flat

screen days.

Yea.. that Sterling Covana is super neat.

u1usUSZ.png

Takes the place of a cover too. not sure the sides would work that well. Like I said Cleveland is WINDY.. or at least it was this winter. I wouldnt know this is our first year hottubbing in the winter so I wouldnt have a clue as to if weather this year (wind wise) was normal.

I am still looking for some sort of structure to be built out of 4x4 posts and a metal roof. not sure how to design the sides, nor how to make the "sitting" / "dressing" area in the front.

This is what they sell in our spa store for 8000

4i3XJnE.png

Nice.. but.. sheesh.. that is a lot of cheddar.

I guess when all is said and done I am looking for a "less" Ghetto version of something like this.

axNO55L.png

the wood is different colors ? Why?

the roof is sloping the wrong way for the direction of the panels. (silly, we have snow.)

it looks like this would break.. but what do I know?

then again.. something like THIS is perfect.. but got to figure out sides and how to do that?

MKjIeOr.jpg

Another question that was bothering me.. Why would someone build a Pergola around their hottub.

vdhvnV3.png

for me.. I have snow and rain.. and my wife.. man, she HATES rain and snow getting on her..

Sure the first few times it was ok. but now. nope.. not having it. I could do without it.

so.. pergola? looks interesting but I dont think it will come anywhere near my needs for snow/rain protection.

Why do people build pergolas? doesnt seem to serve any purpose but aestetic. Am I correct?

Maybe I am missing something

Any electrical connection within 5 feet of your spa is a code violation. That includes GFCI outlets and your sp disconnect.

Just a fact.

If you try to sell your house with the present install, it will have to be moved to conform to code.

I'm not saying I don't see a lot of tubs installed in violation of codes, but if you paid someone money to do that, he should fix it.

I'd be willing to bet an inspector never saw it, which means if there is an accident, your a___ will be grass because your homeowner's will never cover you for the liability.

I have been looking at this. It seems really sturdy in anchored in concrete. What about the aluminum around the spa?

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/royal-hardtop-gazebo/prod2360833.ip?sprodId=prod2360833

(Sorry could not post pic for some reason).

oys28Am.png

Yeah I actually sat under this in my local Sams club when I was about to buy that Ez-Up (for 200) it is really nice nut at 1400 dollars I just dont think it is worth it. I pushed on it and the gauge metal it is made of is SUPER thin. The way the parts are connected together are kinda cheap. Classic "made in china" nonsense. Dont get me wrong. If you had sun all day and no wind, no winter I think this thing would be great. I also saw this outside a bar in about 5 miles from my house. I am not sure how long they had it up at the bar but I am sure that is out in the elements this whole season at least. They had some sort of plastic or canvas walls on it to block off the wind. It was a structure placed outside for smokers to hang out in and smoke since we have those no smoking rules in Cleveland. I really like the idea of this shelter I just really dont know how well it would hold up. I also have in my head the cost of building some structure around 500 dollars and being solid. Certainly less than 1000. That will be made of wood.

That is a good design. I like the shape and the size for certain. When I start designing something that is the basic "Shape" I am going to go for.

I saw one of those at my local Lowe's for $995.

I bought a similar octagonal gazebo at Costco for $1500. The posts are extruded aluminum, the roof is steel. I bolted it to a 7" thick octagonal concrete slab, it is very solid. The black color is powder coat. My house has a red tile roof, so I scuffed the powder coat on the roof panels with coarse Scotchbright pads and painted the outside of the roof red and the underside white with Petit Easypoxy marine paint. It took longer to paint the roof panels than it did to assemble it.

I don't have my hot tub in our gazebo, the gazebo is on a viewpoint on our property.

Dave