Acrylic Portable Chemicals Different?

RedCourt

My new tub is a reconditioned Caldera Geneva w/ new pump and heater. Electrician connected it today and my plan had been to do Nitro's decontamination and follow that with his outlined Dichlor water maintenance method.

The guy I bought it from (former sales rep for two different spa companies) lost it when I mentioned planning to use Muriatic Acid. (It sounds like a better choice than sulphuric to me) According to him that's a HUGE no-no in an acrylic spa... I tend to think I would have run across more discussion about that here if it was really such a huge thing.

Is there an entirely different water chemistry protocol for acrylic above ground spas? Or is he just used to touting the company line and selling branded products? (That's my guess)

only problem is that because of the small water volume is it very easy to overdose and difficult to measure since you would only be needing teaspoons of the stuff. Dry acid (sodium bisulfite) is a better choice since it is easier to handle and measure. Other than that there is no reason why you cannot use muriatic acid.

Thanks waterbear! I decided on muriatic acid because I didn't want to increases the sulfate level unnecessarily. I'm used to dealing with micro qty's in other areas of alchemy so I think I'll be ok. Glad to know that the guy I bought it from wasn't all that well informed. Neither was the guy at the Pool store when I was looking for boric acid, blank stare then tried to sell me their branded system. LOL