Diy Heated Soaker Tub

loopie

Good day ...Lets see who's able to think outside the box, or tub, a little bit with me. I'd certainly appreciate any input : )

Say we want to use the typical plain bath tub in a typical 30yr old bathroom as a heated soaker tub. No jets needed, it just needs to maintain water temps of 100*F+ for 30-60+min and in a single use fashion (tub is filled and drained after each use...picture a quick shower to clean off a bit, then fill the tub, presumably draining the hot water tank, then soak in there for a while in continously heated water)

This unit seems to fit the bill...just plug it in and it auto heats between 102.5 and 104*F....add a basic sump pump and some plumbing in and out of the tub and bingo???

Hydro-Quip Pure Heat 1.5" In-Line 1kW Whirlpool Bath Heater w/ Switch PH101-10UV

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hydro-Quip-Pure-Heat-1-5-In-Line-1kW-Whirlpool-Bath-Heater-w-Switch-PH101-10UV-/300851379019?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item460c23bb4b#shId

What do you think?

Thx,

Derek

A couple of things... firstly, run two seperate 120v curcuits, one for the heater, one for the pump, 1000 watts will pretty much eats the capacity of most home 14 ga wire circuits.

Secondly, plumb the system with the concept of draining as completely as possible.

Any water left over is a health hazard, and since it has no sanitizing system or filter, it has a 100% chance of containing e coli.

Thx for the feedback guys : )

Dave brings up another question I have. Whether the pump is before or after the unit, does it require a certain amount of line pressure before it will work? I'm thinking to just run a wide open 1 1/2" line in and out of the tub with a typical 1200-ish gph sump pump. Decent volume for sure, but not much line pressure....

As for plugging in the units, absolutely!...the heater and the pump on two seperate GFCI's. One in the bathroom itself and convert a plug across the hall which is on another circuit.

Drainage will be very complete...but I do have and am quite familiar with 35% food grade H2O2

You may wish to re-think this if you live in a community with a mandatory electric code, especially as you may put your homeowners insurance at risk. What you are attempting to do is to field construct a hydromassage bathtub. Since this project is not an immersion type device, it apparently does not fall under Article 422.41 of the NEC. It is also not a medical facility or gymnasium, so it does not fall under the standards pertaining to such facilities. That means that whatever you construct must comply with applicable sections of Article 680 and the general provisions of the electric code.

One key section of the NEC that so many people completely overlook is Articles 110.1, 110.2 and 110.3. Generally speaking, any hydromassage bathtub must comply with UL Standard 1795 and the electrical inspector will want to see evidence that the tub as a whole complies with UL 1795. Most inspectors will want to see either a UL or an ETL certification that the tub as a whole is UL 1795 compliant. Obviously, that won't exist on your tub. The inspector CAN approve a field constructed hydromassage tub based on the use of UL 1795 recognized parts and construction methods, but it is exceptionally rare for an inspector to go out on a limb like that.

John

N1oty is correct, your homeowner's policy won't cover this at all, and if you sell your home the inspector will require it to be dismantled.

• 7 years later...

I too am considering installing a combo pump\heater in our existing drop in acrylic soaker tub. My research so far affirms what others on this forum have indicated; proper drainage and location of suction and inlet are critical as are proper electrical install. I am looking at possibly using the Hydroquip Tranquility Series pump/heater combo. My problem is where can I purchase this unit and the suction/outlet fittings in western Canada?