Ozone Replacement

spanorth

I have found that my Ozone unit is not working. My dealer is of no help. Unfortunately, the moron who I usually have to talk to on the phone can even look up parts and tell if they are in stock or not. I assume this is a Balboa unit like this one found here http://www.spaguts.com/Products/balboa-uv-ozonator-kit-with-amp-cord-52468-01-59024-602.aspx

I'm willing to spend $150 if it's the proper replacement and it will work. However, I wonder if there is a better option for a replacement. I'm not too worried about the plug/connector being different, as I can always reuse the old one. Here's a picture of mine.

Suggestions?

spa_ozone.jpg

I'll call the dealer on Monday and find out what they'll charge for it, in the mean time, by googling that part humber I found it here http://thespaworks.com/parts/marquis-spa-parts/marquis-spa-ozone/marquis-spa-ozonator-amp-plug-120v230v-convertible for $212. However, this one sure looks like the exact same thing for half that. http://www.creativeleisureproducts.com/servlet/the-182/ACC,Applied-Computer-Controls,ePACK,spa-control,hot/Detail

Am I missing something between these two?

I have been using the Del APG unit for some time now and it has been working perfectly. I had problems with other ozone generators interfering with my control board and the APG unit does not do that. I would recommend it. Also Del's customer service has been fantastic. You can check out my other posts and see what I went through and how Del would not give up until I was happy.

Whatever you get, make certain it comes with the correct plug, most dealers won't take electrical items back, even if it hasn't been installed.

I ended up with the JED 103 ozone generator, just because my dealer had them in stock, they were $107 and they had been installing them as replacements regularly on the Marquis tubs. Install took about 15 minutes and I'm in business. I'll be curious to see how it effects my chemical balance and use. Although, I'll probably not be able to tell very much, since I don't have a solid handle on the whole chemical thing yet. Anyway, I figure for $100 it can't hurt and if it means less chemical in the tub, that will work for me!

All ozone does is reduce the needed level of chlorine or bromine you are using, it does not affect PH

It also reduces that actual level of chlorine and bromine, so you may need to add the same amount as before to keep a lower ppm. Mileage varies on use. It appears this spa doesn't use a 24/7 circ pump? If not, I wonder if you'll even notice whether it's equipped with an ozone generator?

I think the greatest benefit of an ozonator is in oxidizing chloromines, which in turn will reduce the frequency of shocking. But that's just my opinion.

I don't put any faith in the claims of "it will lower chlorine levels needed " since there isn't a shred of data to qualify that statement (in a spa) Ozone is not part of any EPA approved spa sanitizer program. As far as I know, there isn't a single peer reviewed study of the benefits of ozone use in a spa. At the point, afer being in the wild since the 1980's, there isn't anything concrete to support the use of ozone in a spa, other than marketing brochures, and the fact that ozone is used to purify drinking water in a closed environment.

• 1 month later...

We've seen plenty of reports on this and other forums that ozone is most beneficial when the bather load is higher. In a chlorine spa with a decent ozonator where the spa is used every day or two, the chlorine usage (amount added after a soak) can be cut in half or less since ozone oxidizes much of the bather waste. However, if the spa is only used once or twice a week or only on weekends, then the chlorine usage can go up by double or more. This is because ozone reacts with chlorine (to form chloride and chlorate).

In a bromine spa with a bromide bank, an ozonator can create more bromine from the bromide so works OK even when the spa is not in use. Dialing in the proper levels though is hard unless one can adjust the ozonator on-time (say by adjusting the circulation pump on-time).

• 1 month later...

My take on ozone...if you care.

It's only good on 24 hour circulation systems.

I think it does help keep pH balanced to an extent.

It does eat chlorine and bromine.

It does kill bacteria but can't keep up with any bather load at all by itself. Need MPS, Silver Ion and weekly chlorine.

My way to tell if it's working is to lift the cover and smell for it. A fresh rain smell mixed with a burnt wire smell (my best analogy).

I love it because I can let my spa go a while without doing anything and the water is still in good shape.

1991 HotSpring Classic