Decided To Do My Own Research On Clear Ray

Remember people, the quickest way to mean nothing with a claim is to use the two words "up to" as in...

"Our laboratory testing has shown that CLEARRAY can reduce your sanitizer usage up to 50%."

What that means in plain English is "Best case scenario, it may do nothing."

You guys have made some great points and I have learned a little.....sorry not much on anything showing the UV doesn't work but that is OK. I haven't showed much if any that it does work. I really do hope it does work because I own it. If my first three weeks with an avg of 3 people in the tub for a total of 31 hours of tub time is any indication of what is in store for the water condition I see in the years to come then I think I made the right choice for me.

You guys have made some great points and I have learned a little.....sorry not much on anything showing the UV doesn't work but that is OK. I haven't showed much if any that it does work. I really do hope it does work because I own it. If my first three weeks with an avg of 3 people in the tub for a total of 31 hours of tub time is any indication of what is in store for the water condition I see in the years to come then I think I made the right choice for me.

Proving a negative is always the hard part and none of us are really trying to do that anyway, we were merely asking where the positive proof is though we really knew the answer. We all understand that the proof needs to come from the claimant though as was discussed they're careful what they actually claim though the salespeople often have their own standards as you have also pointed out on other subjects relative to salespeople (in reality many sales people are great about the claims they make, I'm not tossing them all in the same basket). The good news is no matter how this UV thing works or doesn't, the spa you have is well made from a good spa company and I assume your dealer has been good to you so all that is 98% of the battle.

I have no doubt your current water care results will continue, just make sure you always have your bottle of chlorine granules and all chems in a dry covered area, watch your ph/alk, clean your filters regularly and I suspect you'll be fine from here on out.

• 3 weeks later...

I have nothing to compare my results to as this is my first tub but: I just went out of town for 5 days (left on Monday and returned Saturday). I shocked the tub to 14ppm chlorine on Monday around 4pm and turned the temp down to 90. Today (Saturday) at 5pm I test and still have 8.4ppm chlorine with CYA at ~35 and pH a bit low at 7.1.

Does 5 days and only us up 5.6ppm chlorine sound good?

Maybe I will unplug the clear ray next time I go to see the difference.

14 ppm FC down to 8.4 ppm over 5 days is a loss of only 100%*(1-(8.4/14)^(1/5)) = 6.2% per day which is excellent. Turning the temperature down probably helped to reduce the rate of loss. Yes, it would be interesting to see if there is any difference with the Clear Ray off, but I doubt it. I'm a bit surprised you didn't see a greater loss from the Clear Ray -- it apparently isn't putting out enough UV to break down chlorine noticeably.