Artesian Circ Pump

JeffB

I am having trouble pinning down the performance of the circ pumps used in Artesian spas. I understand they switched to a larger, 48 frame circ sometime in 2004. Is this right? The Artesian literature says the circ pump pushes 11 gpm. Is this the spec on the old pump or on the new large one? How many gallons per minute does the current circ pump push, and what are its other specs? Is it a GE like the jet pumps. Thanks in advance.

Jeff,

Artesian did switch to the larger 48" FRame 24 Hour Circulation Pump, back in January 2005. The 11 GPM specs, that you mentioned are for the old style "Grundfos" circ pump. Artesian has not updated that feature on the Website.Total GPM's is so much greater now with the 48" Frame Pump. Now rates are to about 40-50 GPM's. The motor is manufactured by GE. The flow coming out of the circ pump jet is very noticeable and much stronger. Hope this helps. Dave.

Jeff,

Artesian did switch to the larger 48" FRame 24 Hour Circulation Pump, back in January 2005. The 11 GPM specs, that you mentioned are for the old style "Grundfos" circ pump. Artesian has not updated that feature on the Website.Total GPM's is so much greater now with the 48" Frame Pump. Now rates are to about 40-50 GPM's. The motor is manufactured by GE. The flow coming out of the circ pump jet is very noticeable and much stronger. Hope this helps. Dave.

Spa-Guy, thanks very much. 40 to 50 gpm is alot. I used to have a Sundance where I could set the filter times with the low speed jet pump to where I needed them, in addition to the circ pump. As I understand it, wtih the Artesians, there are no filter times with a low speed pump, just the circ pump for filtering. I am considering an Island Captiva or Antigua with the circ pump, and I was worried about enough filtering with only a small circ punp. But the pump you describe must do the trick. Am I right in understanding that the "filter" times on the Artesian just control the time that the ozonator is on?

Hi Jeff,

The new 48" Frame Circ Pump gives you fantastic filtration. It is always running and flitering your water 24 hours a day. That matched up with an ozonator will keep your water crystal clear. On a Island Series, without a circ pump, your spa will be equipped with a 2 spd. Pump. With the 2 spd pump, you can program the length of your filtration cycles, from 0 to 24 hours. With a circ pump, it circulates 24 hours a day. So, you are correct,with a circ pump, the "filter" times settings, is the setting for the ozone run cycle durations. With a 2spd pump, the ozonator will run during the set filtration cycles. Dave.

Hi Jeff,

The new 48" Frame Circ Pump gives you fantastic filtration. It is always running and flitering your water 24 hours a day. That matched up with an ozonator will keep your water crystal clear. On a Island Series, without a circ pump, your spa will be equipped with a 2 spd. Pump. With the 2 spd pump, you can program the length of your filtration cycles, from 0 to 24 hours. With a circ pump, it circulates 24 hours a day. So, you are correct,with a circ pump, the "filter" times settings, is the setting for the ozone run cycle durations. With a 2spd pump, the ozonator will run during the set filtration cycles. Dave.

Thanks

Hi Jeff,

It's sounds great to have that larger circ pump in a way but at the same time, at that GPM I don't think you need to run it 24/7 and I'm a stickler at my house for keeping the electric bill as low as possible. At 40-50 GPM that's 57,000 to 72,000 gallons per day running 24/7. I'd lower the filter time although I do like ozone on 24/7 and you'd loose some of that (not too muc though so I'd still lower it). I wonder why they have that large of a circ pump. I'd think they'd look at how much filtering they want per day and spec the circ pump so running it 24/7 gives you the filtering you want at a lesser wattage and have the ozone on 24/7. Is it just me or does 57-72k gallons of water filtered per day seem a bit over the top?

• 11 months later...

Jeff. When researching spas I also found the 11gpm description. Further searching found a website in the UK that listed 24GPM. I had wet tested a lot of spas and knew the Artesian was circulating more than 11GPM. A few weeks ago the dealer called Artesian while I was there. We were told the circ pump is 35GPM. They did give me the name of the GE motor/pump combo, but I didn't write it down.

Looks like Spa-Guy is a dealer, so his info may be more accurate than what I was told. Regardless, a lot of water moves through the circ pump.

We ended up ordering the Piper Glen today.

It's sounds great to have that larger circ pump in a way but at the same time, at that GPM I don't think you need to run it 24/7 and I'm a stickler at my house for keeping the electric bill as low as possible. At 40-50 GPM that's 57,000 to 72,000 gallons per day running 24/7. I'd lower the filter time although I do like ozone on 24/7 and you'd loose some of that (not too muc though so I'd still lower it). I wonder why they have that large of a circ pump. I'd think they'd look at how much filtering they want per day and spec the circ pump so running it 24/7 gives you the filtering you want at a lesser wattage and have the ozone on 24/7. Is it just me or does 57-72k gallons of water filtered per day seem a bit over the top?

The problem is not the size of the pump but in the utilization of the energy of the pump. They changed as most of the reasonable spa companies have done to a real filter pump that moves debris into the filter.

Another company who woke up from the problems of tiny, ridiculous Lainge and Grunfos circ pumps.

Sundance did it, Marquis did it, Cal Spas did it, most companies who are tired of all the problems are going to a real filter pump.

It is in my book, maybe you should read it, Hot Spring dude? :D

Another company who woke up from the problems of tiny, ridiculous Lainge and Grunfos circ pumps.

Try harder not to bash, or I'm going to wear out my 'delete' key.

B)

How many gallons per minute does the Hot Spring circ pump provide? I hear it is very effiecient.

In my opinion no matter how big or small the circ pump is it should be done right as to filter enough water for a particular user and use the least amount of energy possible while doing it. So is 48 frame right moving 35-50 GPM maybe not if it uses to much power and filters to much water. What if 20-25 GPM filters enough and it can be done with less wattage? Wouldn't it make more sence? How about 10-15 and even less wattage?

Just because a manufacturer chooses a bigger pump don't make it the only right option, just an option.

HS moves about five or six gallons per minute. The pump only burns about 85 watts. It also has the ability to put it's waste heat into the water. So it is a win-win in my opinion. I sell them - yes. I also have owned them. They stay clean and clear. Point being - it works.

I wouldn't make my choice based on this alone. Getting caught up in numbers like this can cause more confusion than it clears up because some of the larger circ pumps will do nothing but consume power, while others will put heat into the tub and cause overheating in warm weather. Still others are well designed to balance these effects and give you clean water, low energy consumption and stable temps.

My oft-repeated song says, "stick with a major name-brand and you'll get about the same energy consumption and the same ease of care."

B)