Sundance Spa Quality

I Need a Spa

I went to look at Caldera Spas today and they looked great. The Caldera salesman mentioned that he had prior experience selling Sundance Spas, and that the build quality of the Sundance brand has gone down in recent years. I believe he said Sundance had been sold/bought in the last few years.

Are there any recent changes in the build quality of Sundance Spas?

My understanding is that the brand is well recognized and generally considered one of the better spa manufacturers. The local Caldera salesman says they aren't making them as well as they used to and that service calls run high on the brand in general.

I'm really interested in the Sundance Palermo model, but now I'm a bit leary of the brand. I'm just looking for a 2nd opinion, if anyone can offer a comment.

Thanks

Sundance was purchased in 1998 by Jacuzzi and as a wholly owned company took over the manufacturing of spas for Jacuzzi. In 2002, Jacuzzi Premium was created by the Sundance team, Jacuzzi Whirlpool Bath spas were phased out and Jacuzzi Premium manufacturing took place at the Sundance factory. The purchase of Sundance brought Sundance/JacuzziPremium to number two in sales behind the Watkins group. Although Sundance was purchased, it has remained its own company with its own management team. The quality of Sundance/JacuzziPremium would be equal to any of the top manufacturers. I would feel comfortable buying either spa and would let the therapy decide for me rather than a sales person degrading a competitor to try to gain a sale.

I would feel comfortable buying either spa and would let the therapy decide for me rather than a sales person degrading a competitor to try to gain a sale.

Thanks, Tony, for clueing us in to a (presumably) more accurate explanation of Jacuzzi buying Sundance. Interesting that the(?) originator of whirlpool tubs had to buy Sundance to get back in the game. Surprise! Surprise! The sales guy at the Jacuzzi and Sundance dealer, I visited, told it differently. ;-p

The quality of Sundance/JacuzziPremium would be equal to any of the top manufacturers. I would feel comfortable buying either spa and would let the therapy decide for me rather than a sales person degrading a competitor to try to gain a sale.

Well said, both are good spa brands. Therefore, don't worry so much about which one other people like but rather take a wet test and see which fits/feels best to you.

The sales guy at the Jacuzzi and Sundance dealer, I visited, told it differently. ;-p

It is quite amusing to see the Jacuzzi and Sundance dealers both claiming that they bought out the other. In a way, they are both correct. Jacuzzi, the parent bought Sundance but Sundance, the company builds all the spas.

Somewhere floating around in my office I have a copy of the original press release regarding the purchase and the arrangement.

It is quite amusing to see the Jacuzzi and Sundance dealers both claiming that they bought out the other. In a way, they are both correct. Jacuzzi, the parent bought Sundance but Sundance, the company builds all the spas.

Somewhere floating around in my office I have a copy of the original press release regarding the purchase and the arrangement.

LOL - SpaTech you're still jabbin at me after my first post when I said something like "don't tell me to do a wet test or it all depends on personal preference". Hey, I agree, the wet test is the ultimate factor. But you gotta understand that to a vrigin like me every spa feels awesome! (probably even a Jim-the-Jim special). I can't wait to see the follow up to that comment.

I've narrowed the hunt down to a Sundance, Hot Spring, or Caldera model. Sundance is winning on cost vs. size and Caldera is winning on overall quality. But I haven't wet tested anything yet.

SO far here's the models and price quotes I have:

(includes cover, cover lifter, steps, deliver and set up)

Sundance Palermo $5900

Hot Spring Envoy $7900

Caldera Tahitian (or Hawaiian) $7300

Electrician $400 or so

Wine $?

LOL - SpaTech you're still jabbin at me after my first post when I said something like "don't tell me to do a wet test or it all depends on personal preference". Hey, I agree, the wet test is the ultimate factor. But you gotta understand that to a vrigin like me every spa feels awesome! (probably even a Jim-the-Jim special). I can't wait to see the follow up to that comment.

I've narrowed the hunt down to a Sundance, Hot Spring, or Caldera model. Sundance is winning on cost vs. size and Caldera is winning on overall quality. But I haven't wet tested anything yet.

SO far here's the models and price quotes I have:

(includes cover, cover lifter, steps, deliver and set up)

Sundance Palermo $5900

Hot Spring Envoy $7900

Caldera Tahitian (or Hawaiian) $7300

Electrician $400 or so

Wine $?

Don’t take this offensively, but you definitely are not comparing apples to apples when comparing the Palermo to the Envoy and Tahitian. A more accurate comparison would be the Sundance Cameo.

Don’t take this offensively, but you definitely are not comparing apples to apples when comparing the Palermo to the Envoy and Tahitian. A more accurate comparison would be the Sundance Cameo.

Chris - Yea you're right. It holds 400gals though, a bit more than the other at much less cost. The quote on Cameo I got from the Sundance rep was $8500, which is nuts.

Chris - Yea you're right. It holds 400gals though, a bit more than the other at much less cost. The quote on Cameo I got from the Sundance rep was $8500, which is nuts.

$8,500 is the going price for the Cameo. You received a below average price on the Envoy. The Envoy typically sells for around right around $8,500.

But you gotta understand that to a vrigin like me every spa feels awesome! (probably even a Jim-the-Jim special). I can't wait to see the follow up to that comment.

I agree that all spas will feel good to varying degrees but some will stand out. However, not all spas will FIT good. The fit thing is very important as some lounges will not work for some people. Some seats are too deep or too shallow. Some have grab rails where your head rests. Etc.

BTW, Jim's spas are not the real issue so you may like the feel of his and maybe even the fit. The issue if you purchase from him is the person you've entrusted your $$ with and the idea that he is going to be able to somehow service your needs from afar (we've seen the reults of this).