La Spas?

OKC

There are about a 150 spa manufacturers out there represented by lots of sales people who beleive their spa is best, I'm one of them. Shop around a bit more, La & catalina are o.k and have alot of glitz, check out some of the other major players, Hotsprings, Sundance, D1, Marquis to name a few, then post your findings here, good luck.

anyone have any opinions on the LA spas? Looked at some today and wondered if they are as good as the salesperson says. While Im at it if you have any opinions on Catalina Spas as well as Superior Spas. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

I recently purchased a Superior spa in Tulsa. (Malibu II with Ozone)

It seemed to have the best combination of jet arrangements and power for the money that I could find in Tulsa. I liked the lounger in the Santa Barbara but the Malibu had more therapeutic seats and was easier to move around in. It depends on how it feels to you.

I wet tested several brands (including Catalina) and the Malibu felt the most comfortable and seemed to be the most therapeutic with it's varied jet arrangements. I move from one seat to the other depending on what hurts and which jet arrangement matches.

One downer: It took a while to get delivered because we ordered a color they didn't have ready. Although in OKC it may get there sooner (no pun intended). I don't think they keep a lot in stock so waiting for your tub to be built may be a standard thing.

We have been very happy with the tub so far (3 months). We still get in it at least 5 nights a week.

Only one problem and it was with rain in my GFI not the tub. My dealer in Tulsa had a guy out quickly to look at it anyway. My electrician came out and fixed the problem with the GFI housing.

The Catalina dealer here tried to slam the Superior spa on it's warrantee but when I compared them line by line the Superior spa was longer.

Compare warantees and wet test. In my opinion more jets is better but it all depends on how it feels to you.

Rika thanks for your input. we looked at the Superior spas today. I wish I had more time but was on lunch. I plan on going back when I have more time. I liked the bang for the buck. They seemed to be made pretty well. We looked at the Malibu and the Santa Barbara. Wife likes the chair in the SB. Couple of questions for you. Do the jets have plenty of power? I plan to wet test (wife wont, something about wearing a bathing suit in a store LOL) and what kind of surface did you have it placed on. The pro rated warranty bothers me just a little but if they are made as well as i think they are it should last for many years. Input?

OKC

Rika thanks for your input. we looked at the Superior spas today. I wish I had more time but was on lunch. I plan on going back when I have more time. I liked the bang for the buck. They seemed to be made pretty well. We looked at the Malibu and the Santa Barbara. Wife likes the chair in the SB. Couple of questions for you. Do the jets have plenty of power? I plan to wet test (wife wont, something about wearing a bathing suit in a store LOL) and what kind of surface did you have it placed on. The pro rated warranty bothers me just a little but if they are made as well as i think they are it should last for many years. Input?

OKC

Definitely try the lounger. If the sales people over there use the same script i heard in Tulsa you will hear a lot about how you won't float out of thier lounger. I did feel it was better than other brands we tried on the floating because it was deeper. But I also felt it was a bit of a hassle to get in and out of when there is water in the tub. The Malibu has different jet arrangements in the four corners so I liked being able to move around easily and find a seat that hits what is hurting.

I beleive the SB has larger pumps in it than the malibu but it also has more jets so it is spread around more.

On the Malibu one pump powers half the tub and the Foot jets. The other pump powers the other half the tub. With the diverters you can spread all the power out evenly or focus it all in one seat per side if you want.

You can't have both jets all going through one seat. I think that would be uncomfortable anyway since what you can do is pretty powerful.

It can push me out of the seat if I concentrate it so I feel comfortable in saying you can adjust it from nearly nothing to as strong as you need it. It is usually my wife and I in it so if we need the high pressure she has one pump on her seat and I have one on mine. We rarely use the blower. Too many bubbles popping water into your face and I think it is plenty strong without it.

Another thing I do sometimes is put all of one pump through the Volcano jet. I run my sore legs over the jet and it is a serious deep tissue massage.

Both pumps have a high and a low setting. A lot of times we just turn the pumps on low so it is quieter and we can talk. One thing I saw mentioned on this forum is that hot tubs are great for families. I agree with this. Our 13 year old son will turn off the PS2 to get in the tub with us. And it provides a relaxing time for us to all talk.

I have it on a 12x 12 cement pad with wire mesh reinforcement. I have two feet walk around on each side.

Easy access to all side panels. Our cover on its lifter sits at just the right height to block the wind and our neighbors view.

Like you I was impressed with the construction. In the Showroom in Tulsa they have a malibu sitting up on four cement blocks under the corners full of water and running.

I don't think they let anyone in that one but it speaks a lot for how confident they are in the structure.

My wife would not get in with me either. We went in at closing time so they locked the doors and let us try them all out. My son and I did the testing. She has to take your word for it then on which one feels better.

I did let her make all the decisions on colors for the shell and cabinet of course.

I think they are made pretty well. Of course time will tell.

Post again if you have more questions. I'd be happy to try and answer.

hi okc, i too have been really looking and have been to just about every company mentioned here. i have narrowed down my search and i am concentrating on LA Spas. a company i had never heard off. i live on long island. there is another post here from conan who bought LA that you should read. i also did a wet test of the HEET and the concord in the LA line. awesome jets and diverters. yes it has alot of stuff. but i have to say everything feels different and good. i decided i have to have a lounger after trying the one in the HEET model. i never wanted one but this one is easy to sit in and the leg jets really are a big asset. these are very powerful tubs( 3-5 horsepower available), you will get the therapy you want. that is what i am looking for most of all. they have a large range of jet options which is nice if you every want to change some out. the diverters allow alot of power to one section at a time. the seats seemed alittle short in length but with the water i did not notice it. please do not buy without the wet test. some stores can arrange for a closing time wet test. do you have any pricing on the LA spas i would be curious to see what you can get out in your area. i too experienced bashing when i went out to shop. this is a luxury item and i found that a good dealer does not do that. but they will give you info that is helpful with each dealer you visit. take your time this is not a cheap product.

After wet testing the LA spa my wife and I loved it. The seating was perfect, the jets were perfect and the salesperson was very helpful. So we purchased our SPA. The next 3 weeks are going to be a killer. everything is ready. Patio is ready the electric is ready and We are ready., I'll keep you posted.

After wet testing the LA spa my wife and I loved it. The seating was perfect, the jets were perfect and the salesperson was very helpful. So we purchased our SPA. The next 3 weeks are going to be a killer. everything is ready. Patio is ready the electric is ready and We are ready., I'll keep you posted.

okc, good for you, its nice to finally make a decision. i would love to know what model you bought and what options, wms, ozonator, stereo? most of la has 3 different jet configurations for each model. would you mind sharing what you paid for it. i will probably end up with la but it did get alot more expensive as i added the options i wanted. thanks for the info, robin

Robin, we bought the Heet with the 32 jets. We added a couple of waterfalls. We did get the lounger because the wife really liked it. It does not have the ultra water management, but does have the ozonator. Store added the steps, cover and lifter at no cost. We paid less than 7,000. Hope that helps. Oh and delivery set up and orientation was all included. They even came out and looked at my patio to make sure everything would be ok upon delivery.

• 3 weeks later...

Robin, we bought the Heet with the 32 jets. We added a couple of waterfalls. We did get the lounger because the wife really liked it. It does not have the ultra water management, but does have the ozonator. Store added the steps, cover and lifter at no cost. We paid less than 7,000. Hope that helps. Oh and delivery set up and orientation was all included. They even came out and looked at my patio to make sure everything would be ok upon delivery.

okc congrates on your order. i hope you will come back and post your final comments on this company. anything you dislike after using it would be helpful. i was advised against the uwm system, just another part that could break down someday. your price was also very good. keep us posted on likes and dislikes. thanks robin

Congrats on your purchase. Finding the one that feels best to you is the best way to choose.

I'm glad you got your wife to wet test with you. It really is the only way to really know if you will like the tub.

It's exciting while you wait for the tub to arrive. My wife spent a fortune on new towels and robes and hooks to hang things on and new plastic cups which were pretty and hot tub safe....

You get the idea.

I've owned two LA spas in the past and loved them both. Had the first for five years with no problems, it went with the house when we sold it. Bought a Heet 3 a little over two years ago and it is an awesome spa. If you can't get therapy in a Heet, you're beyond repair! Now the ex has it and the house! :angry: Oh well, I now have my Sundance Caprio and am enjoying it alot. Not the power of the Heet, but a great spa just the same. The Adirondack chair is more comfortabe than any lounge I've ever been in.