Spa Salesman Vs Used Car Salesman

ScubaCurt

This in NOT a blast at all spa salespeople But I guess I ran into one today and it will probably cost me a couple of thousand dollars extra. I stopped by today to buy a spa. I had talked to one salesperson a couple of weeks ago, comparison shopped and then decided to go back and get the one I felt most comfortable with. I went back on Monday and was waited on by the store owner, he and I chatted, I told him that I had talked to his other salesman and decided that his brand of tub was what I wanted. He was very laid back, not a great lot of pressure and gave me some prices. I told him to give me a day or 2 to think about it. Then the offer was made, I'm in a saleing mood, make me an offer. I told him that I'd give him a call and left. Went back today and got the orginal salesman, we chatted I told him that the owner had told me to make him an offer so I did. We split the difference, did the paperwork, I gave him 25% cash deposit and left. Less than 3 minutes later my phone rang, it was the salesman, said the owner had told him that I had to pay for the tub in full and that he had not told me to make him an offer. Kinda ticked me off, I don't like being called a liar. Being real nice I told the salesman I'd be right back. I apologized that I had gotten him in the middle of something that he could have his paperwork back and I'd take my check. I hated that he lost his commision but I feel that I was lied to by the owner by the fact of ommision. Had I known that I was going to have to pay cash, I could have made those arrangements. Now, just because I hate being lied to, I will go and purchase the tub someplace else. May be a different brand, may not.

Like I said, this is NOT a blast at all salespeople or owners, just a friendly rant to all store owners and salespeople. Be totally honest and upfront with your customers, you may run into some smart a$$ customer like me that will pay more to by from someone that doesn't lie to me.

PS. If you live in the Charlotte NC area and have bought a spa in the last couple of years how about pming me and let me know if you'd go back to the people that you bought from. I don't want company names appearing here just to keep within the TOS. Thanks

ScubaCurt, I'm sorry to hear about your ordeal. I imagine it's pretty damn frustrating.

If I'm reading it right, the owner told you that he was in a selling mood and for you to make him an offer. If I'm in your shoes, I'm thinking that (1) this guy really has his prices jacked up or (2) he is desperate to make a sale. A serious salesperson should never make an offer to the customer to name his own price (unless he is William Shatner). A serious salesperson should know what his spa is worth, what margins are acceptable for his business' continued success, and should offer the customer his best price. This namby-pamby "make me an offer" is a no-win situation for both, in my opinion.

I hope the rest of your shopping experience goes better. :D

Terminator

• 3 weeks later...

You may be lucky.

You ultimately will purchase a spa from a dealer, and that dealer will provide you service for at least as long as the warranty - typically 5-10 years.

If this is the support, and perhaps honesty, you get from the dealer when trying to make a sale, imagine how much supprt you'll get after the sale!