Fence Around Pool Or Backyard?

BWD

Hello,

I know that this is a matter of personal opinion, however, I want to get some feedback about what people feel about fencing their pool vs. fencing their back yard.

I have a 2 and 6 yr. old and live in the Northeast. So, the pool will not be used for more than 3-4 months. I thought I liked the openness of having the fence around the backyard. However, someone indicated that the kids will be blocked off from the rest of the yard - will need to open gates, etc. when trying to play around the house. So, they suggested to fence around the pool. I just didn't want to feel closed in.

I will be having a pool, spa and pavers installed by next Spring. Any suggestions?

Many thanks!

BWD :)

Hi BWD, It is of course up to you, but I would put a fence around the pool with a gate that locks. I think feeling closed in would be well worth the piece of mind it would give you. Sounds like you are going to have fun next summer. :)

Thank you for your reply - I agree I need piece of mind :rolleyes:

Fencing the entire backyard is much more desirable asthetically and for the convenience of day to day operation. There are ways to protect your children such as Power safety covers, door alarms, gate alarms, pool alarms, etc. without damaging the ambience that everyone desires with a residential pool. You certainly don't want to feel like you are walking into a hotel pool. I know it may not be a concern now, or so you plan, but when you decide to sell your home a pool that creates a private backyard paradise helps resale value immensely. Just watch a program like House Hunters and see for yourself.

Fencing the entire backyard is much more desirable asthetically and for the convenience of day to day operation. There are ways to protect your children such as Power safety covers, door alarms, gate alarms, pool alarms, etc. without damaging the ambience that everyone desires with a residential pool. You certainly don't want to feel like you are walking into a hotel pool. I know it may not be a concern now, or so you plan, but when you decide to sell your home a pool that creates a private backyard paradise helps resale value immensely. Just watch a program like House Hunters and see for yourself.

Thank you so much for your advice ^_^

• 1 year later...

Pool alarms, power safety cover, etc,... all sound great and are worth paying the price for but let's not forget the single most important thing when it comes with mixing a pool with children. Supervise your kids!!! I have a pool and it has a fence around it even though we have a fence that perimeters the yard. We a pool alarm that goes off inside and outside if the water's surface is broken. I even have a pool cover that can double as a trampoline damn near it seems and even with all of this, no one is in my back yard alone. Not even my ADULT WIFE. Anything can go wrong and if you get comfortable with it, IT WILL GO WRONG. It doesn't matter if your kid or spouse or you yourself can swim. In my yard, you're not in it alone simply because there is a pool back there.

Jerry Materne

In the state of Florida, the #2 killer of children is drowning in pools. Many times, it is not the homeowner's children, but other children in the neightborhood who gained access to the back yard pool. It is law to have a vinal segment pool fence in Florida. We live in Georgia, and have a pool cover. We installed a Protect-A-Child pool fence, shipped in from Ft. Lauderdale. It is fantastic. Pool covers get water on them and it only takes 6 inches of water to drown in. I also have a fence around the back yard, but I like keeping the kids in the back yard. Pool Fences are completely removable. When we host parties, we remove it completely in about 15 minutes and can re-install it in around 30 minutes. And it completely surrounds our pool. If you have a bird cage, you only need to fence off half of the pool since the bird cage will protect the other half if your screens are intact. My wife and I are on edge when we are at someone's home and they do not have a pool fence around their pool. We can relax when they do have a pool fence. Having grown up in Florida, we've seen neighbor's kids drown and die or become permenantly disabled.

If you get a pool fence, be sure you get one with interlocks that are child proof. many come with just a hook. Ours comes with a drywall style screw head and requires 2 hands and coordination. Everyone in our neighborhood who sees it loves it. I believe it adds value to our home. It does not seem to change the quality of the appearance of our back yard.