Getting A Free Hot Tub.....has A Leak.

Nathan

Hello everyone,

New to this forum, I appreciate any advice you can give me.

My aunt called me yesterday offering me her 1991 Hot Spring Highlife tub. She said they only use it a few times a year and have decided it is not worth the trouble anymore. The heater and jets work, but it has developed a very slow leak coming from the base. Also the "Moto-Massage" jet pieces came apart and needs to be put back together. My uncle inspected everything that was accessible from the access hatch and could not find the leak.

From what I have read this unit will have foam insulation surrounding it making finding a leak on the side a huge pain. I have a very large garage that I can put it in to work on to find the leak. I am curious if there are any write-ups or guides on fixing this kind of problem? Any place I can get the plumbing schematic from?

I am hoping this can be fixed with a few weekends of work. It is kind of hard to pass up such a large tub for free. Let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Nathan

I say go for it. You will have to locate the leak, and that's most of the battle. The Moto will most likely have to be replaced as a unit, but that's less than $90 in most dealers, and it's a breeze to install.

Get the tub up on blocks - lots of blocks - keep it well supported. Poke a few holes through the tough layer of foam which covers the bottom so you can spot were the water exits and start from there.