Filter Pump Will Not Turn Off

tmanni

Hi, I don't know much about my pool equipment but I have a Jandy Aqualink RS4 and the filter pump will not turn off. I went outside to the control panel to try to switch it to Service or Timeout mode but it wouldn't work. It wouldn't let me and the filter kept going. Usually the light in the inside (house) panel comes on to green but it doesn't come on, I tried pressing the button on and off but that didn't work either. I finally had to turn off the black circuit breakers to the filter off. Any sugestions? Thanks for the help much appreciated.

Hi,

Thank you for your response LOE. We do have the Freeze Protection on but it is set to 38 degrees. It has only dipped below that twice this past week, our temps. usually are around 40 to 46 degrees at night and that is when the freeze protection kicks in. Our filter pump (kreepy krauly) ran for about 24 hours straight until I turned off the circuit breaker for the filter.

A Jandy 3hp relay (part# R0658100) typically retails for 85.25

if you have a 2speed (not variable or single) pump, you will need a 2sp Relay (part# 6796) retails for 55.96

Any pool retailer in your area should have access to them. They are very common. If you are replacing the 3hp relay, you can even use a pentair one (part# 520106). The 2speed relays are unique to the control systems though.

• 2 years later...

Hello. Here is my system installed in September, 2007: Jandy AquaPure 1400 with a Stealth 2 hp pool pump motor. I believe I have a failing relay, this is the original, info stamped on the plastic cover:

HLR6100-2ABJCF2-AC100/120V

30A / 277VAC

3hp / 240/265/277VAC

1-1/2hp / 120VAC

Coil: 100/120VAC

Innovative Pool Prducts (yes, products is spelled like that)

I can tap on it to get it to turn on and in some cases to turn it off. Based upon my detective work, I bought one of these: http://www.poolpartsonline.com/p-57361-3hp-relay-intellitouch-520106-opt-9237-135.aspx but did not use the wiring "harness". The one I bought is identical (Omron) but cost less than half the price of the one in the link.

I turned off the breaker and moved one wire at a time from the old relay to the new relay so there would not be any "crossed" wires. Verified my connections were tight, flipped on the breaker and manually moved my timer to the "on" position. The new relay instantly started "high speed chattering". The pool pump did turn on and stay on, but clearly the relay should not be making all this noise. After no more than 10 seconds I turned it off. Double checked everything, turned it back on with the same results. Reversed the wiring until all wires were back on the original relay. Manually moved the timer to 'on', tapped the relay and it turned on (quietly, no noise other than the initial click).

Did I get a bad relay? I've searched high and low using the information on the side of the original relay but I get virtually no 'hits'. What bothers me about the new relay is that it is rated at 25 amps and the original is 30 amps. Could this difference cause the high speed chattering?

Thank you for any advice you can provide.

No offense, but that's not exactly the answer I was looking for. I know it's the relay and I don't need a pool retailer to tell me what I already know. My question is about the new relay and whether it is "bad" based upon the noise it is making. I could not find an exact match for a replacement relay, 25 amp (new) vs 30 amp (original). I have e-mailed the seller of the new relay describing the problem. Waiting to see what they say.

The one I bought is identical (Omron) but cost less than half the price of the one in the link.

the new relay is rated at 25 amps and the original is 30 amps.

I could not find an exact match for a replacement relay, 25 amp (new) vs 30 amp (original).

Could it be the new relay isnt really an identical relay?

Relays that begin to "Stick" is because the contacts are getting tack welded due to increased amperage being drawn through them, and/or an extended connection (days on end). Is the motor making any increased noise when it is running? I would check to see what kind of amperage is being drawn through your old relay. Best way is to use an inductive amp meter. If you don't have one, and you don't want to buy one (for just one test), You would have to hire someone to look at it (make sure he has one before you hire him, or he may want to just sell you a new motor on a guess), or maybe a neighbor has one you can borrow. My guess is that even if you get the correct relay in there, it may not last if your having an amperage issue with the motor and what ever else may be on that load (Aquapure, heater, etc.).

Thanks Pool Clown for the reply. Turns out the one I bought in the link I posted is actually a 24 volt DC relay!!! So much for my detective work. My original relay is 120 volt AC. Looks closely at the picture in the link and you can just make out the 24VDC in the upper left hand corner, 3rd line down from the top.

Point taken on potential amperage increase. We have the Aquapure (chlorine generator), but water is heated via a solar system, not electrically or with gas.

LegsOnEarth provided part# R0658100, so I Googled it and when looking at the images and spot checking several, they are DC, not AC. Was there some recent change in the pool industry to go from AC to DC? I have a single speed motor. So many of the images show the relay tilted on it's back or side so you can see the connectors, but they don't say it is a DC relay anywhere in the specs. VERY frustrating! AND some of the prices for $1.75 worth of materials in the relay is just asinine. $95.00!!!! Really??? OK, done with the rant.

I kept searching while typing this up and may have found one: http://www.superiorlighting.com/Double_Pole_Single_Throw_Relay_with_120V_Coil_p/143t136.htm?gclid=COj_mpCc68UCFUZffgodzFQAVg&utm_source=googleshopping&utm_medium=cse&kwid=kwid It is upside down in the picture and has "quick connect" type connectors instead of screw, but it might work. How I found this was by searching on "double pole single throw relay 120v". NOW I'm seeing some options! This is a link to a pdf data sheet from OMRON that helps decipher the part number: http://www.newark.com/pdfs/datasheets/Omron/G7L.pdf. So a GL7-2A-BUBJ will get me screw terminals instead of "quick connect" terminals.

Still searching but now I think I can find what I need and won't have to give up my left arm either.

• 2 years later...

Hello Herbicidal or Pool Clown.

I too need help with that relay HLR6100-2ABJCF2-AC100/120V. I need to order one and I don't know where to go. I have looked this up for days and can't figure out which one to order from the Omarion if that all they have. I cant seem to find one from Innovative Pool Prducts anymore. 

Please Help!!!

On 5/30/2015 at 10:43 PM, Herbicidal said:

Thanks Pool Clown for the reply. Turns out the one I bought in the link I posted is actually a 24 volt DC relay!!! So much for my detective work. My original relay is 120 volt AC. Looks closely at the picture in the link and you can just make out the 24VDC in the upper left hand corner, 3rd line down from the top.

Point taken on potential amperage increase. We have the Aquapure (chlorine generator), but water is heated via a solar system, not electrically or with gas.

LegsOnEarth provided part# R0658100, so I Googled it and when looking at the images and spot checking several, they are DC, not AC. Was there some recent change in the pool industry to go from AC to DC? I have a single speed motor. So many of the images show the relay tilted on it's back or side so you can see the connectors, but they don't say it is a DC relay anywhere in the specs. VERY frustrating! AND some of the prices for $1.75 worth of materials in the relay is just asinine. $95.00!!!! Really??? OK, done with the rant.

I kept searching while typing this up and may have found one: http://www.superiorlighting.com/Double_Pole_Single_Throw_Relay_with_120V_Coil_p/143t136.htm?gclid=COj_mpCc68UCFUZffgodzFQAVg&utm_source=googleshopping&utm_medium=cse&kwid=kwid It is upside down in the picture and has "quick connect" type connectors instead of screw, but it might work. How I found this was by searching on "double pole single throw relay 120v". NOW I'm seeing some options! This is a link to a pdf data sheet from OMRON that helps decipher the part number: http://www.newark.com/pdfs/datasheets/Omron/G7L.pdf. So a GL7-2A-BUBJ will get me screw terminals instead of "quick connect" terminals.

Still searching but now I think I can find what I need and won't have to give up my left arm either.

CAN YOU HELP, I AM TOO TRYING TO PURCHASE hlr6100-2abjcf2-ac100/120v 

I cant find it anywhere. 

• 2 weeks later...

Try searching "Pentair relay" on the pool parts website of your choice 

Oh... here!  520106

That is for Pentair automation (IntelliTouch, EasyTouch, Sun or SolarTouch, etc.)

Or Jandy: OneTouch, Etc.

Compool systems are:

RLYLX