Inground Pool Vinyl Liner Over Custom Steps

BWD

Hello,

I like the look of custom steps going into the pool with a liner covering them.

My contractor states that the liners tend to shrink quicker around the steps and recommends the fiberglass steps instead. Will be installing Kafco pool and steps. However, I'm not thrilled with the idea/look. So, I just want feedback from others with any positive or negative experiences.

Thank you.

MD ^_^

Hello,

My contractor states that the liners tend to shrink quicker around the steps and recommends the fiberglass steps instead. Will be installing Kafco pool and steps. However, I'm not thrilled with the idea/look. So, I just want feedback from others with any positive or negative experiences.

Thank you.

MD ^_^

I have installed quite a few steps covered by liners and have had no trouble with shrinking. I do recommend having loops and fiberglass rods put in to tie back the material so the liner is tight to the wall on the steps. I agree vinyl covered steps look much nicer.

• 3 weeks later...

Fiberglass stair rods, and stainless clips indeed keep the liner in place. Double check your dealer's liner company has a good history of properly fitting inside steps and benches. You cannot beat the look, and that's where the adults tend to stay. My pool has both an inside steel step (9' radius) and steel bench (6' radius), and I am quite happy with both. :)

• 3 months later...

Hello,

Thank you.

MD ^_^

I agree vinyl over steps look much better. I have installed over a thousand liner replacements and have found that vinyl over steps tend to get a little shorter life. This is due to the fact of the top step having only a few inches of water pressure allowing the ultraviolet sunlight shrinking the liner over time. Somebody else listed that you should have pockets in the back of the liner and held into place with fiberglass rods. This is very important even if only on the top step. Some builders dont like to deal with vinyl over steps becuase the liner has to be measured and made dead on in order not to have wrinkles.

Hello,

Thank you.

MD ^_^

I agree vinyl over steps look much better. I have installed over a thousand liner replacements and have found that vinyl over steps tend to get a little shorter life. This is due to the fact of the top step having only a few inches of water pressure allowing the ultraviolet sunlight shrinking the liner over time. Somebody else listed that you should have pockets in the back of the liner and held into place with fiberglass rods. This is very important even if only on the top step. Some builders dont like to deal with vinyl over steps becuase the liner has to be measured and made dead on in order not to have wrinkles.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with that.