Add Bleach Directly Or Mix With Water First?

soakmyfeet

I use Nature 2/MPS to sanitize and 2/week add dichlor to oxidize. I am 1 month into this fill, and I have been heavily using my tub (2hr daily at 103F) so have gotten behind with oxidizing. I have had to shock up to 13 ppm twice this week to keep the water clear and clean. My CYA is up to 60, so I can't continue with dichlor at this rate. I'm going to start using unscented bleach, but haven't done that before. I use the pool calculator, so I know how much to add. I've read all the pinned posts from nitro and chem geek about the dichlor/bleach method, but don't recall any instructions on how to actually add the bleach. Do I just pour the desired amount into a measuring cup and dump it into the tub, or does it need to be diluted first? Do I put it in when the jets are running (I'm worried it would splash onto tub surface or me), or just while the circ pump is on? Also, how long after I add it should I check the FC to determine if it was the correct amount? Is it 5 min?

Thanks!

You don't need to dilute it, but should pour it in slowly with at least the circulation pump running. You don't need to run the jets and as you point out that might have it splash back at you and believe me you don't want that -- many a clothing ruined and you certainly don't want any in your eyes. With good circulation, you should be able to measure in 5 minutes, certainly 10 minutes would have it well mixed. Even in my 16,000 gallon pool, most of the chlorine registers everywhere in 10 minutes though it still slightly creeps up until around 20 minutes -- that's when pouring in front of a return/inlet in the deep end with a main drain below and skimmer on the opposite side.