Dumb Question About Ozone?

egclassic

Can it cause skin irritation in any way?

I am at wits end on what I may be allergic to in my spa. This is our 2nd tub we have owned, and I never had any issues with our 1st, except once, I got Follicolitis because I listened to the dealer who suggested I use Baqua spa. Add to that it was my 1st spa and no experience with water quality.

Anyway, I started out with Chlorine and MPS shock. I got a horrible rash. I found this site and followed the decontamination procedure, twice. (forgot to mention, it is a used spa from a friend, 4 years old) Filled the spa and tried again. Rash.

Switched to bromine (waterbear's 3-step method) and quit using MPS. Rash.

My wife has had no issues whatsoever and my rash always appears within 12-24 hours after use. Chemical related from what I gather.

The only other thing this tub has that the old one did not is an ozonator, and the fact I was using MPS.

I know I am grasping at straws asking this question, but I am about to give up and drain the tub for good.

Here are my test results:

pH 7.6

TA 80

CH 275

Only other chemicals I have used are: Metal gon, Spa defender, spa perfect(enzyme), and I have added 50 ppm borates using 20 mule team and Muraitic acid.

If you are using MPS without silver ions (as with Nature2), then you may be getting a reaction from the minor component (sodium persulfate, not to be confused with sodium monopersulfate) that is a known irritant. However, you say you stopped that when you went to bromine yet you still got a rash.

Since you've got other chemicals in the spa as well, I'd just do things very simply and cleanly without extra chemicals and see what happens. First, see what happens in a bathtub with the water at a hot spa temperature -- you may just be sensitive to hot water now for some reason. Then for the spa, just use Dichlor then bleach but without any MPS, metal gon, spa defender, spa perfect or even borates (but handle your pH more frequently as needed). If all is good, then add the borates. If still good, you've mostly got everything you need already but you can add other items one at a time until you get a rash.

As for the ozone, it would have to leave a residual in the water to be irritating, but maybe it's a very strong ozonator and is on when you are in. If you have a way of turning it off, then you could try that.

Thanks Chem Geek,

That is what I was going to try after this rash clears, a soak in the bath tub and see what happens. I usually take HOT showers, twice a day, so hopefully I am not sensitive to hot water, that would be tragic.

The only way to turn the ozonator off is to unplug it from the control panel, so that is what I did for now.