Pool And Chemical Automation

KAT_Irish

I am planning on having an in-ground pool installed this coming spring (2013). My current plan will see the instillation of a Hayward Pro Logic (P8) system with salt generator.

I am also considering installing their chemical automation system such as the Ph and ORP / sense and dispense system, and this is what I’m hoping someone can provide me with feedback on as I don’t know how effective this automated system is.

I currently have an above ground chlorine pool with a copper core heater. Due to poor maintenance on my side the heater core has started to corrode. I will not be using this heater on the new pool. I will be installing a new Hayward natural gas heater which too will be controlled by the Pro Logic system.

I am contemplating the chemical automation system to try and avoid similar issues with the new pool and heater; I also hope to reduce the time I need to spend maintain the water.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated

Your heater corrosion problems were most likely due to too low a pH in the pool (were you using Trichlor pucks/tabs?). For your new heater, make sure it uses either cupro-nickel or titanium for the heat exchanger since the saltwater will increase the rate of metal corrosion due to the increased conductivity.

Your heater corrosion problems were most likely due to too low a pH in the pool (were you using Trichlor pucks/tabs?). For your new heater, make sure it uses either cupro-nickel or titanium for the heat exchanger since the saltwater will increase the rate of metal corrosion due to the increased conductivity.

All the new Hayward H-Series heaters come stock with Cupro-nickel exchangers, so there shouldn't be a problem there.

As for pH automation, I've never been sold on the technology. I think it's come a long way, but I don't think it's quite ready for prime time. The pentair system is decent, but it has it's problems. I would point out that the issue I had seen most frequently with pH automation is over dosing. Pools that had the systems would typically ride very low on pH because the alkalinity of the pool was constantly low which meant the pH would plummit when the slightest bit of acid was added by the system. If you were hoping to automate as a solution to corrosion, my advice would be to look elsewhere.

Thanks a million for your feedback, it's most helpful. I'm glad I learned my PH lesson the hard way on the above ground pool as opposed to on the inground.

My question is really about the hayward / other automated chem control systems. Duke, I've heard mixed reviews, so I appreciate your take on it.