Help! Hot Tub Surface Feels Like Sandpaper

landonk

First of all, DO NOT drain the tub.

You will need to get the pH and TA down rapidly - and work to keep them there for a few days. I wouldn't mess around, add three or four ounces of pH down if you haven't already. Then test every four or five hours to assure it is staying down - it will try to creep back up as the calcium goes back into the water where it came from.

Aim for a pH of about 6.8 to 7.0, and a TA of 80 ish.

Should take about three days to get rid of all of it, and if you begin to see the stuff sloughing on and piling up in the corners of the spa floor, go ahead and vac it out. Use a garden hose as a siphon to suck the loose stuff out, but don't loose so much water that you have to refill.

In future, keep an eye on your pH and TA - if they tend to climb, add some 'down' on a regular basis. This is the case at my home, I add an ounce every Saturday morning.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I'm really confused. My spa dealer told me to NOT add PH down. It would just add to the problem. He suggests to use "Spa Defender". I had to scrub like crazy to get that sandpaper film off of the tub. About a week later it has came back. What in the crap is going on. Is my dealer stupid or what?

Well, I'm really confused. My spa dealer told me to NOT add PH down. It would just add to the problem. He suggests to use "Spa Defender". I had to scrub like crazy to get that sandpaper film off of the tub. About a week later it has came back. What in the crap is going on. Is my dealer stupid or what?

Spa Defender is a great maintenance product, but it won't fix your problem. High pH has precipitated calcium out of your water and onto the surface of your spa shell, plumbing, etc. All the scrubbing in the world is not going to get this off the inside of your pipes. You need to change the chemistry of your water to get the calcium back in.

Your dealer is obviously not experienced in this problem. Follow Chas advise. For all the time I have been visiting the forums (years), his remedy has fixed this problem for many people.