Ice In Tub - Cover Blew Off While On Vacation!

coursonb

Hi, I returned from vacation to find my hot tub cover had blown off (straps broke), and the majority of the water was out of the tub. Of the water that remained, the water level was about up to the very bottom of the seats, so not much water. On top of the water was some ice that had formed. I can pick this ice up with my hands and get it out of the tub. The tub was on, and has been running without the water in, and with the cover off. The water in the tub is freezing cold. It is currently 45 degrees out, but had been 20-30's the last few days. I have a J470 hot tub. Any recommendations on how to get this back up and running and test if everything is still working?

• 10 years later...

Coursonb- hi, I found your post when searching for a resolution to the same issue. I realize this is an older post, but thought I’d try anyway. I just had the exact same thing happen with a Jacuzzi j245 tub. We just returned from vacation after a week and the cover was blown open. (During winter) all water, except for the center portion of the tub had drained and it was still running. I’m curious to know if yours required repair or if you were able to just fill it and run it as normal. Thanks so much!

Sadly the chances of you getting away without extensive repair are slim. Fill just the foot well with water and see if it holds. If it holds water then you are one of the lucky few. If the water drains out then I advise seeking professional help if you are not DIY inclined. The repair could range from just a broken 3/8" pump nipple (3/8" line attached to the front of the pump) a split pump face or cracked pump union but sadly you most likely have cracked manifolds. Even though all the water has drained there is still water in the plumbing. I recommend placing a small thermostatically controlled heater inside the cabinet on medium low temp to keep from doing further damage until a Tech can get there for a look... or you could use a shop vac and suck all the lines out and winterize the spa until a tech can get there. 

Thanks for the reply. The entire foot well was filled with water but nothing above that. in fact, I had to drain the water that was in the foot well. I am thinking I will try to fill it back up and turn it on and see what happens.  I suppose the worst that can is it drains out again.  Just strange that I never had a leak prior, not even a small one and it’s only about 2 years old.

• Like 1