both have pumps..................check

both have blowers................check

both have similar warranties...check

both have purdy lights..........check

both have a nifty waterfall....check

both have covers.................check

both have lifters..................check

both have aromatherapy......check

LOL, that list makes it seem so simply. My neighbor's wife and Jessica Alba are also similar catches. Maybe I can run down a list of how their anatomies all have the same parts to show they are of equal value LOL.

The part about similar warranties is a bit much even for me to see and not get a headache from my eyes rolling back into my head. First of all, the warranties are not the same as the $10k tubs you always reference. Second, the successs rate of actually getting them to come out for service and cover that warranty cost will not be equal FOR SURE.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those darn monthly electric bills will not be the same either. Multiple posts on here about $100+ a month bills from the lower end tubs. I have 2 friends with the Hydro tubs and they are both in the 75-100 a month for electric costs. Mine (Keys) is close to 70 a month in winter and my friends Gulf Coast is in the same range. What do these tubs all have in common. They were all around 4-5K and if you look inside the cabinet they all have the same insulation.

LOL, that list makes it seem so simply. BTW, also both have a manual too. My neighbor's wife and Jessica Abla are also similar catches. Maybe I can run down a list of how their anatomies all have the same parts to show they are of equal value LOL.

The part about similar warranties is a bit much even for me to see and not get a headache from my eyes rolling back into my head. First of all, the warranties are not the same as the $10k tubs you always reference. Second, the successs rate of actaully getting them to service and cover that warranty cost will not be equal FOR SURE.

It really is pretty simple isnt it? Glad you got it! I didnt say they were the same...I said similar....similar warranties. And to be honest, I really dont think a warranty has ever been a deciding factor on if I purchase an item....but thats me. As far as your neighbor's wife...sure whatever....but you still havent told me where the 5k difference is on the costco tub versus a dealer tub. Break it down in simple terms for me please.

It really is pretty simple isnt it? Glad you got it! I didnt say they were the same...I said similar....similar warranties. And to be honest, I really dont think a warranty has ever been a deciding factor on if I purchase an item....but thats me. As far as your neighbor's wife...sure whatever....but you still havent told me where the 5k difference is on the costco tub versus a dealer tub. Break it down in simple terms for me please.

Same reason why a Lexus is more expensive than a similarly equipped Buick. Both are fine and both have their satisfied customers. Just don't tell the Lexus owner why you were smarter to buy yours. To each his own (and I own 3 Chevy's BTW).

Those darn monthly electric bills will not be the same either. Multiple posts on here about $100+ a month bills from the lower end tubs. I have 2 friends with the Hydro tubs and they are both in the 75-100 a month for electric costs. Mine (Keys) is close to 70 a month in winter and my friends Gulf Coast is in the same range. What do these tubs all have in common. They were all around 4-5K and if you look inside the cabinet they all have the same insulation.

My electric hasnt been 100+, hell it was only 40 more a month but since you have two friends it must be so. Have they metered their tubs to actually see if its the tub? I know when I had to replace my ac unit/air handler in july of last year it took my bill from around 140 to 280 in less than a month of operation. I guess since they are your friends and they both have hydro spas it must be that!! I guess if thats what you need to feel better so be it.

Same reason why a Lexus is more expensive than a similarly equipped Buick. Both are fine and both have their satisfied customers. Just don't tell the Lexus owner why you were smarter to buy yours. To each his own (and I own 3 Chevy's BTW).

Once again you skirt the issue.....

To compare a lexus and a buick.....come on you can do better than that! Oh, thats right they are cars...but they both do the same thing...get you from point A to point B. One is a status symbol the other is not. Tell me in simple terms why a 10k spa is better than a 5k spa. Get off the electrical argument and the dealer service and break down the numbers....

Tell me in simple terms why a 10k spa is better than a 5k spa. Get off the electrical argument and the dealer service and break down the numbers....

Watch the Artic video and you will know the differences. Hay!! Nordic is coming out with an updated web site and up dated models in 4 to 6 weeks. Yahoo :D

104 Degrees

Tell me in simple terms why a 10k spa is better than a 5k spa. Get off the electrical argument and the dealer service and break down the numbers....

So we can't count efficiency/insulating ability and service? Darn, I always thought those were good differences. Does the warranty count? Does the reliability fo the dealer/manufacturer backing the warranty count?

How about design and quality of parts used? Does that count or are we going with the old "but they both use pumps, control, jets... and acrylic"? You'll say this is general to say "parts used" but it accounts for so much and its difficult to just lay out on a spread sheet what those differences are but they're there. Not all spas are made alike nor should they necessarily be expected to be.

Some spas are designed and built to last longer than others. That's a basic principle in manufacturing but it does not mean all the "premium spas" are good value and all the bargain spas are poor value. I'm not so sure I'd call Cal Spas, Master or Thermospas are a very good value and they make $10k spas so it's not just about how much they cost. Maybe your spa is a very good value for $5k, maybe just ok or .... We shall see and chances are it's at least a good value.

I really don't want to argue this with you because you really don't want to hear that there even are differences. Be happy with your spa. Maybe its a better deal than a comparable one bought at a Hydrospas dealer (that sounds like a reasonable argument) but I don't have to agree that it's worth more (or much more) than you paid for it and I never said it wasn't worth what you paid either.

So we can't count efficiency and service. Darn, I always thought those were good differences. Does the warranty count? Does the reliability fo the dealer/manufacturer backing the warranty count?

How about design and quality of parts used? Does that count or are we going with the old "but they both use pumps, control, jets... and acrylic"? This may be general to say "parts used" but it counts for so much that makes up a spa and its difficult to just lay out on a spread sheet what those differences are but they're there.

Some spas are desinged and built to last longer than others. That's a basic principle in manufacturing but it does not mean all the "premium spas" are good value and all the bargain spas are poor value. I have never thought that a Cal Spas or a Thermospas have historically been a good value and they make $10k spas. Maybe your spa is a very good value for $5k, maybe just ok or .... We shall see and chances are it's at least a good value.

I really don't want to argue this with you because you really don't want to hear that there even are differences. Be happy with your spa. Maybe its a better deal than a comparable one bought at a Hydrospas dealer (that sounds like a reasonable argument) but I don't have to agree that it's worth more (or much more) than you paid for it and I never said it wasn't worth what you paid either.

No, I know exactly the point you are making but I wanted it broke down in spa terms not car versus car terms. Please don't use the word argue...wasn't arguing...its called debating...at the end of the day I dont lay in bed at night feeling bad we had this debate! :)

But as with any other hobby, and yes I consider tubing to be a hobby there are different levels of entry. Knowing nothing about the hobby I feel a 5k purchase is much easier to swallow if things aren't what I expected than to go to a dealer and pay twice that.

My biggest object to overcome was whether I would use it as much as I expected once purchased, what happens if its defective and I cant get my money back from a dealer. As far as being a novice and not knowing the difference between x pump and y pump they really are the same thing to me....so I opted to purchase the least amount for the biggest pay off in terms of what I was getting. (in other words things I can put my hands on)

Watch the Artic video and you will know the differences. Hay!! Nordic is coming out with an updated web site and up dated models in 4 to 6 weeks. Yahoo :D

104 Degrees

Oh, there is one for you...watch a video....please...who makes this video...the same people who make the spa...like thats not biased. For that matter go watch the video on hydrospa.com....I once again was never one really influenced by marketing....I like the hands on, real experience approach. Those videos are there to make you feel value in their product....nothing more than a commercial.

Here is a link to it for your viewing pleasure... Hydro spa video

is there a way to add insulation or are you beating a dead horse?

there is a thread on the forum for adding insulation...Insulation

Oh, there is one for you...watch a video....please...who makes this video...the same people who make the spa...like thats not biased. For that matter go watch the video on hydrospa.com....I once again was never one really influenced by marketing....I like the hands on, real experience approach. Those videos are there to make you feel value in their product....nothing more than a commercial.

sorry i was just trying to figure out why some people say your tub cost more to run.. if its a insulation problem could it be fixed? or are they saying it has to do with heater, pump, or programing

I was trying to find a spa for under or around 5k . i am a plumber by trade so im not worried about leaks as much as cost of operation and maybe eletronic problems

sorry i was just trying to figure out why some people say your tub cost more to run.. if its a insulation problem could it be fixed? or are they saying it has to do with heater, pump, or programing

I was trying to find a spa for under or around 5k . i am a plumber by trade so im not worried about leaks as much as cost of operation and maybe eletronic problems

From what I have read there is a couple posters who have had crazy electric charges. Since none of them have actually metered it I dont know how much merit you can put behind it. I know my bill hasnt seen that big of increase...but I also havent metered it. I am only going by dollar amount. I also live in Orlando so my tub isnt trying to keep itself at 104 degrees with the temp outside lower than 40 degrees so who knows.

Here is a link to it for your viewing pleasure... Hydro spa video

So your going to tell me that by watching the two video's---- the hydro spa is built like the Artic spa?? I'm not saying the artic spa is best or is number one, it looks like the craftsman ship is better on the artic and its made in canada. Thats a cold place, the hydro is made in Florida--- A warm place.

From what I have read there is a couple posters who have had crazy electric charges. Since none of them have actually metered it I dont know how much merit you can put behind it. I know my bill hasnt seen that big of increase...but I also havent metered it. I am only going by dollar amount. I also live in Orlando so my tub isnt trying to keep itself at 104 degrees with the temp outside lower than 40 degrees so who knows.

I keep my Crown Xl at 104 in 20 below. It does cost less when i rap the outside.

So your going to tell me that by watching the two video's---- the hydro spa is built like the Artic spa?? I'm not saying the artic spa is best or is number one, it looks like the craftsman ship is better on the artic and its made in canada. Thats a cold place, the hydro is made in Florida--- A warm place.

Ok, so you joined the forum like 4 days ago and have been in almost every post about hydro spa bumping Arctic.....whats your story? I think you have like 60 post but havent said much in any of them!! Do you plan on buying a spa or are you just here to troll? No, I am not here to tell you anything...I was saying I dont need a video to sell me on a product...especially one put out by a manufacturer to hype their own product. I never watched arctic's video so I couldnt tell you anything....looks can also be deceiving so if you are basing your decision on a video knock yourself out!

Hey...we also make ice cream here in Florida....do you think it might melt????

So when does the manufacturing plants location have anything to do with how a product is made? That to me is about as lame as saying watch the video to determine who has the better product. This site is always good for a good laugh!

Oh, by the way its spelled Arctic...and its cold there also...but hey...maybe thats where they get their name

whyymee22 "is insulation in a spa still as important in florida as elswhere?"

When I said 70-100 dollars a month for a poorly insulated tub that was for the winter months only (I live in new england). I have 2 friends with Hydro, 1 with a Gulf Coast, and I have a Keys Backyard. They are all in the 4-5K price range and all of similar quality with about the same insulation. We all have similar bills that in the winter months get up there. My parents have a higher end tub and they pay about $30 a month in winter and less than $20 in summer. Living in florida I would guess it would be in the $25-$40 a month range (JW also said as much in another post). I am basing that on what mine is in the summer. I think it would be up to you to decide if you can live with that or not. There are some good posts on here about adding insulation and it seems cheap and easy. Good Luck with your search and I think if you look past our little "debates" and take everything with a grain of salt there is some good info on this site and a lot of people that would be happy to answer any of your questions.

"My electric hasnt been 100+, hell it was only 40 more a month but since you have two friends it must be so. Have they metered their tubs to actually see if its the tub? I know when I had to replace my ac unit/air handler in july of last year it took my bill from around 140 to 280 in less than a month of operation. I guess since they are your friends and they both have hydro spas it must be that!! I guess if thats what you need to feel better so be it."

Now to JW's important questions. As Florida isn't a COLD CLIMATE I wouldn't expect you to have $100+ electric bills. No one in my group of friends has put a meter on thier tubs so these are not exact numbers but I think they are right in the ball park. If you look in the cabinet of all 3 brands they all look almost exactly the same (insulation wise) and I did look in each cabinet as I was the one that wired each one of them. As for what will make me feel better I just really want JW to belive me. Please JW!

whyymee22 "is insulation in a spa still as important in florida as elswhere?"

As Florida isn't a COLD CLIMATE I wouldn't expect you to have $100+ electric bills.

Whyymee22 does live in Florida....so their electric bill according to you should be about $25 to $40 range?

No one in my group of friends has put a meter on thier tubs so these are not exact numbers but I think they are right in the ball park.

They use to "think" the world was flat!

Ball park. Plus or minus. There are a lot of other variables besides climate and insulation. Months when you do a refill are always more. But I'm sure you know that.

I'll take what my friends say over another post on this board any day but maybe I'm just cynical.

I have yet to see a bill top 50 dollars and I keep the spa at 102. The temps where I am at get down to the twenties to low teens. When we lost power for three days my spa was at 90 degrees when power came back on nd the temps where in the high teens, so much for the crappy insulation theory in my book. I would venture to think that this spa will run within 15 dollars a month of any major brand spa.

Ball park. Plus or minus. There are a lot of other variables besides climate and insulation. Months when you do a refill are always more. But I'm sure you know that.

I'll take what my friends say over another post on this board any day but maybe I'm just cynical.

See thats my point...there are too many variables to take into play so one really does not know how much their tub is using unless they meter it. Using ones tub causes the bill to go higher...some like to soak, others like to feel jets...or both. I would take a meter reading before I would believe someone regurgitating someone else's story.

See thats my point...there are too many variables to take into play so one really does not know how much their tub is using unless they meter it. Using ones tub causes the bill to go higher...some like to soak, others like to feel jets...or both. I would take a meter reading before I would believe someone regurgitating someone else's story.

There you go again, discounting the posts and information posted by other people as somehow less than your esteemed opinion. For the record, there have been more than a few people --myself included-- who have firsthand direct experience with the high costs of Hydrospa units. I have enough technical understanding of the principles of electricity, basic math and economics to be qualified to call the product an energy hog.

You may live in a place where juice is 5 cents/kwh and therefore don't see high bills, but where juice is costly, the Hydrospa is definitely a more expensive unit to operate. And for pete's sake learn some netiquette and quit yelling. I can hear the bold type and big red letters before I even walk in my front door.