5,000 Bucks?

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Roger has opened up 20-30 Hydrospas. Heck maybe even more. Big box stores sell spas and change about every 2-3 years. How many different brands have you worked on Soaker, so I can get some value on your opinion?

Roger, correct me if I am wrong but didn't you say you have worked on different models made my hydro spa but in fact never worked on Platinum Elite or Legend model? That is pretty much the same as saying in my industry all computers are the same because they all have the same components, but that simply isnt true. Just stating for the sake of the debate and to keep the costco post on top! :blink:

I personally dont care about the whole bash costco route anymore. People need to make their own decisions bases on likes/dislikes, budget and a few other select reasons. One thing I do think is Roger must be a good guy...why else would a "repair tech" complain about a model that is supposedly suppose to be low quality always breaking down? Isn't this suppose to be your bread and butter??

Roger has never opened up a Costco spa, worked on one let alone seen one so just realize this is his opionion only.

I am curious as to why a Costco spa --a misnomer since they Costco is simply the reseller and carry multiple brands-- would be any different than any other spa?

Roger, correct me if I am wrong but didn't you say you have worked on different models made my hydro spa but in fact never worked on Platinum Elite or Legend model? That is pretty much the same as saying in my industry all computers are the same because they all have the same components, but that simply isnt true. Just stating for the sake of the debate and to keep the costco post on top! :blink:

I personally dont care about the whole bash costco route anymore. People need to make their own decisions bases on likes/dislikes, budget and a few other select reasons. One thing I do think is Roger must be a good guy...why else would a "repair tech" complain about a model that is supposedly suppose to be low quality always breaking down? Isn't this suppose to be your bread and butter??

I misunderstand why people think that questioning the value and quality of a Hydrospa product sold at Costco amounts to an attack on Costco. I have yet to see a single complaint about the HotSpring tub or the Keys Backyard line of tubs Costco sells, and yet have come across many negative posts --in this and other forums--about Hydrospa. People regularly complain about defects, poor customer service and high energy costs. I think the subject of reproach is Hydrospa's bad reputation, not Costco.

So Roger..since you have opened so many of them up, what components are used in the Costco spa?

Whats funny is I get acused of bashing the Costco tub.......I'd like anyone to point out to me where I have done anything more than say they are exactly what they are, inexpensive low end spa's that have not proven there value.

Soaker, I would think you would want me to tell you what components are in the Hydrospa rebranded spas I have looked at. And the answer to that question would vay as they change all the time to what they can get the best deal on. As I said I have not looked inside of the Costco Plattinum Spa. If I had to guess I would say Starite/Waterway...and Balboa, which makes 15-20 different models. But it would not matter if I had to service one as THEY ARE ALL THE SAME. And I have access to all parts from all the manufacurers of the parts, not the tubs. Except for Sundance I have to get there stuff from them.

I misunderstand why people think that questioning the value and quality of a Hydrospa product sold at Costco amounts to an attack on Costco. I have yet to see a single complaint about the HotSpring tub or the Keys Backyard line of tubs Costco sells, and yet have come across many negative posts --in this and other forums--about Hydrospa. People regularly complain about defects, poor customer service and high energy costs. I think the subject of reproach is Hydrospa's bad reputation, not Costco.

I personally don't associate Costco with hydro spa other than thats where I purchased it. The only equation they play is they offer a refund on it but I don't hold Costco accountable for anything to do with Hydrospa. Go to http://www.hydrospa.com/ and look around their site. They imo have just as nice a product as other spa manufactures except they have a agreement to offer a line of their tubs through costco.

"Hydro Spa has manufactured quality hot tubs since 1975. During our 30 years in the hot tub industry we've taken a leading role in the development of product enhancements."

Seems they have been doing something right since this is a clip straight from their site. I think everyone can agree you can find horror stories on just about every product out there.

No one is bashing Costco or promoting it, no really pushing hydrospa. The fact is though with the Costco advantage of a unlimited time frame return policy, it guarantees a consumer will never be stuck with a lempon or a spa product that doesen't work out the way it should.It also is combines with the brake slammin great deal of the Hydrospa product which sells for double on their website. It is trully a "no brainer" in terms of value and security of knowing you won't be holding the bag if something goes bad. No dealer can offer the price, value or customer return if not satisfied as Costco can.

No one is bashing Costco or promoting it, no really pushing hydrospa. The fact is though with the Costco advantage of a unlimited time frame return policy, it guarantees a consumer will never be stuck with a lempon or a spa product that doesen't work out the way it should.It also is combines with the brake slammin great deal of the Hydrospa product which sells for double on their website. It is trully a "no brainer" in terms of value and security of knowing you won't be holding the bag if something goes bad. No dealer can offer the price, value or customer return if not satisfied as Costco can.

I'm not sure that your blanket statement about price and value is entirely correct soaker. It is likely that the markup is higher, but a smart shopper can bargain and wise dealers will bend over backward to ensure customer satisfaction. I also believe that as great as Costco's policy is, it is overstated in terms of what it will actually accomplish. While undoubtedly it affords consumers the ultimate protection from defective products, it offers spa buyers ZERO reseller support . They don't deliver, install, setup and they sure don't come out and remove defective units.

Costco does also offer an apparently better price structure for the products they carry, but in terms of spas, their selection of name brand spas in virtually nil. So in essence you get their price on what the limited selection they choose to carry. From what I have personally learned the hard way, quality counts for much in this industry, and with the exception of one HotSpring model Costco does not carry top brands.

My conclusion is that while I love Costco and will buy almost anything there based on the security of a no-hassle return, a spa is not easy to return. Thus I have spent months hassling with my Hydrospa and the Costco retunr policy has been of little value thus far in making the process any easier. Now that I've come to the conclusion that in addition to evertything else, the spa is an horrendously expensive energy hog, I will probably have return it on my time and my dime. I'm willing to bet that if I had originally purchased a spa from a reputable dealer, they would have taken care of me a lot better and a long time ago. Maybe that is why I have not seen a single Hydrospa at any of the dealers I've visited.

The fact that you still can return it is a huge value even though you choose not to use that option. Through a dealer, that choice simply isn't offered and as to support? No dealer will pick up your spa, return it to their store and refund your money. They won't even return your money even if you take the spa back, what kind of service is that?

I'm not sure that your blanket statement about price and value is entirely correct soaker. It is likely that the markup is higher, but a smart shopper can bargain and wise dealers will bend over backward to ensure customer satisfaction. I also believe that as great as Costco's policy is, it is overstated in terms of what it will actually accomplish. While undoubtedly it affords consumers the ultimate protection from defective products, it offers spa buyers ZERO reseller support . They don't deliver, install, setup and they sure don't come out and remove defective units.

I buy a car from Toyota, but I dont take it back to the dealer for support. Every repair I can have done for a lot cheaper at a local repair shop near my house. Value, like beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I like looking at my spa because I feel I got value. I got a tub that feels great to me, has plenty of jets, has a great sound system...yada yada yada...so she is beautiful to me. On the other hand, jmendoza17 has a tub that is just plain ugly no matter how you look at it! Costco's return policy is just that...a policy that allows YOU to return said defective product for a refund...no where does it state they will come out and work on it, fix it or haul it out. If you buy a defective tv you going to ask costco to come fix it no, you are going to "RETURN" it, just like you should be doing with your spa. If you for one instance thought it was more then I would almost say you must be one of those consumers that is never happy. They also dont come out and setup anything else you purchase from them...or spread that 12 gallons of "peanut butter" on your bread that you purchased there either.

Costco does also offer an apparently better price structure for the products they carry, but in terms of spas, their selection of name brand spas in virtually nil. So in essence you get their price on what the limited selection they choose to carry. From what I have personally learned the hard way, quality counts for much in this industry, and with the exception of one HotSpring model Costco does not carry top brands.

These are all things to consider when purchasing from Costco...its not a mail order where you can pick and choose. What you see is what you get. Were you lead to believe anything else?

My conclusion is that while I love Costco and will buy almost anything there based on the security of a no-hassle return, a spa is not easy to return. Thus I have spent months hassling with my Hydrospa and the Costco retunr policy has been of little value thus far in making the process any easier. Now that I've come to the conclusion that in addition to evertything else, the spa is an horrendously expensive energy hog, I will probably have return it on my time and my dime. I'm willing to bet that if I had originally purchased a spa from a reputable dealer, they would have taken care of me a lot better and a long time ago. Maybe that is why I have not seen a single Hydrospa at any of the dealers I've visited.

The only thing that hasn't made your process any easier is your inability to act on it. Take the spa back, plain and simple. I doesn't take a whole lot, a crane, a truck....what a day out of your weekend. To me that is smaill price to pay. You got a bad deal, return it, get a new tub and enjoy. Stop spending $400 a mo. on electric bills and act act act!!!!!!

Then come tell us how nice your new tub is.....because surely the "hot tub god" wouldn't allow you to get another bad tub!!!!

The fact that you still can return it is a huge value even though you choose not to use that option. Through a dealer, that choice simply isn't offered and as to support? No dealer will pick up your spa, return it to their store and refund your money. They won't even return your money even if you take the spa back, what kind of service is that?

Like I said, I don't know what every dealers offer, and I guess that you probably do not either. But based on experience in dealing with successful businesses, I am willing to bet that a reputabe, established dealer will do whatever it takes to leave a customer satisfied. Satisfied customers don't return goods.

The only thing that hasn't made your process any easier is your inability to act on it. Take the spa back, plain and simple. I doesn't take a whole lot, a crane, a truck....what a day out of your weekend. To me that is smaill price to pay. You got a bad deal, return it, get a new tub and enjoy. Stop spending $400 a mo. on electric bills and act act act!!!!!

I don't lack an inability to act. I returned a defective iPod last week. Stuck it in my pocket and drove to Costco and was done in a few minutes. I hope that anyone reading will consider this point carefully. A spa is not an iPod. Action will require much work, cost and effort. My spa will require draining, disconnecting, a crane and city permits, a crew of paid workers to drive it back, coordination of new delivery so I can accomplish removal and replacement at same time.

Just a lesson worth sharing if it saves someone else the pain.

Dealers return spas all the time for a different spa. Not that many need to be returned however as they have been fully tested by the manufacturer for defects and the consumer for comfort, and installed properly so as to function properly at the time of instalation by the dealer.

Never did quantify your experience Soaker? Couple months, year? I have been servicing pools, spas and anything plumbing for 25 years and am a fully licensed plumber that has seen the insides of 100's of manufacturers and thousands of spas. Yes I have a full time desk job but my experience quantifys my opinion.

Do allot of the tubs that are about 5,000 bucks come with covers and ozon???? i was Quoted 5500 for a sundance, then they aked if i need a cover?? :(

My nordic came with a cover and ozon :D Do most dealers and side shows just price the tub and nothing else??

"Never did quantify your experience Soaker? Couple months, year? I have been servicing pools, spas and anything plumbing for 25 years and am a fully licensed plumber that has seen the insides of 100's of manufacturers and thousands of spas. Yes I have a full time desk job but my experience quantifys my opinion."

It's funny, I've seen a lot of posts where the Costco gang is coming at people with the you don't own one, you don't know what you are talking about, ours are just as good. But if you were to flip that logic, as far as I can tell they've never owned a dealer owned spa or had a tub go bad and had to place a service call. They're saying the service is just as good but never placed a service call. The fact is the service is farmed out. Maybe a local dealer will be servicing your tub but I lets say you place a service request with this dealer and there are three service requests from people who bought tubs from this dealer, who's tubs you think are getting fixed first?

"Never did quantify your experience Soaker? Couple months, year? I have been servicing pools, spas and anything plumbing for 25 years and am a fully licensed plumber that has seen the insides of 100's of manufacturers and thousands of spas. Yes I have a full time desk job but my experience quantifys my opinion."

I know a guy who has credentials out the a$$....his MCSE, MCSA and all kinds of crap in computer science but I wouldnt trust him to tie his shoes much less set up my network and he has been in the industry since the 80's. I think soaker was calling you on the fact you spout info like you know the quality and all because you have cracked the hood on a few spas when in fact you have never even worked on the spa in questions. Yes, we all know they have the same make up as "every" other spa...come on now its a spa for gosh sakes, but to put a blanket statement out for all spas because you said so is kinda silly.

It's funny, I've seen a lot of posts where the Costco gang is coming at people with the you don't own one, you don't know what you are talking about, ours are just as good. But if you were to flip that logic, as far as I can tell they've never owned a dealer owned spa or had a tub go bad and had to place a service call. They're saying the service is just as good but never placed a service call. The fact is the service is farmed out. Maybe a local dealer will be servicing your tub but I lets say you place a service request with this dealer and there are three service requests from people who bought tubs from this dealer, who's tubs you think are getting fixed first?

You know whats funny to me...that there are "people" who have problems with "people" who bought their spa at Costco. "The Costco Gang".....nice ring to it! So what gang colors do you wear??? Red, for that spanking they gave you when you paid 10k for a tub, ....all for service after the sale, please! its like extended warranties....its a gamble....maybe you will use it, maybe you wont. I gambled and put my extra 5k in a different market than "after the sale" customer service....lets see who pays out in the end.

(jmendoza17) I don't lack an inability to act. I returned a defective iPod last week. Stuck it in my pocket and drove to Costco and was done in a few minutes. I hope that anyone reading will consider this point carefully. A spa is not an iPod. Action will require much work, cost and effort. My spa will require draining, disconnecting, a crane and city permits, a crew of paid workers to drive it back, coordination of new delivery so I can accomplish removal and replacement at same time.

So the spa isn't an ipod, hmmmmm really??? There are like zero moving parts on an ipod and you broke it already??? Man you must have like really bad karma or something...does everything you buy break? So, its like....well the ipod is "easy" so I can return it, but the "spa" is tooooooo heavy....toooooo much work....I dont care about that 5k I spent I would just rather complain and not use the "return policy" costco provides and was probably one of the reasons you purchased it yourself.

(jmendoza17)Just a lesson worth sharing if it saves someone else the pain.

If it pains you so much please do something about it! RETURN IT!!! The only pain anyone feels is for you jmendoza...your tub woes makes me even feel sorry for you.

You know whats funny to me...that there are "people" who have problems with "people" who bought their spa at Costco. "The Costco Gang".....nice ring to it! So what gang colors do you wear??? Red, for that spanking they gave you when you paid 10k for a tub, ....all for service after the sale, please! its like extended warranties....its a gamble....maybe you will use it, maybe you wont. I gambled and put my extra 5k in a different market than "after the sale" customer service....lets see who pays out in the end.

I need a dealer for if and when my tub goes down, its not a block of ice in two days. I can see where people dont need the attention in the warmer climates.

I gambled and put my extra 5k in a different market than "after the sale" customer service....lets see who pays out in the end.

I was going to disagree because IMO you did not "save $5k" because that is not a $10k spa but I see that you actually didn't state that, you said you "put my extra 5k in a different market" and I can agree with that. If you were to try to say you got a spa equivalent to the $10k spas out there and therefore "saved $5k" then I'd very much disagree. Now if that spa were sold by a dealer it would go for more than $5k so you did save some money but we all know the difference in purchasing methods and what you get from costco vs the dealer but it can be a good deal for $5k as long as you kow what you're getting into.

"You know whats funny to me...that there are "people" who have problems with "people" who bought their spa at Costco. "The Costco Gang".....nice ring to it! So what gang colors do you wear??? Red, for that spanking they gave you when you paid 10k for a tub"

I call you guys the Costco gang not because you got your tub at Costco and I have a problem with it but becuase of the way most of you post over and over again about how your costco tubs are just as good as 10K tubs blah blah blah and that you saved 5 k on a tub blah blah blah. Anyone who says anything remotely negitive about the tub is an industry insider and they are just bashing your tub or they don't know what they are talking about. It's basicly the same 4 or 5 posts over and over again worded a little different. You get you tub for 2 months and you are an expert. It's actually all quite comical to me.

You have experienced techs that I think are very fair and give an honest opinion and they are shot down as not knowing what they talking about. But I wonder what makes the costco gang know so much about the 10 k spas and service they get from the dealers they compare to the costco tub.

"Red, for that spanking they gave you when you paid 10k for a tub" This is a good example of the stuff on this board from the Costco gang. I say something not 100% pro costco tub and I am the man or I bought a hot tub from the man. For the record I paid even less than you did for your tub, got it at a box store, have had it for a year and a half and I'm very happy with it. I actually recommended to costco tub to one of my friends who just bought his first house and didn't have a lot of cash but wanted a tub. I think they are a great tub for the right kinda person who doesn't mind doing some work on it themselves. But I do think they have a down side, not being able to wet test and the poor insulation are a reality. Having said that, I think it is a good tub as long as you go into it with your eyes open. It's not a 10k tub.

P.S. And for the record anyone that has an MCSA is a tool.

Having said that, I think it is a good tub as long as you go into it with your eyes open. It's not a 10k tub.

Ok, what exactly is a 10k tub??...I was actually generalizing when I said spank that A$$ but somehow someone who paid less than I did was insulted by it. I guess when you are fishing you just never know what you are going to catch. /shrug

None of the tubs I looked at looked where anywhere near 10k in value! I dont go running around the forum posting on the value of others tubs because I dont know anything about the other tubs...dont own one. Never claimed to be an expert either. As far as some on this board I really do question what part of the equation they really play. In another thread I asked what temp. people kept their tub at and I think 4 people responded....but you post something about a costco or hydro spa and all the animals come out of the wood work. One would think temperature or pictures of their setup would be a common ground but its not....not like the call of the urge to go run down a spa that they dont own, havent worked on, havent sold, havent bought, havent sat in....where is the logic????

spatech (the unreal one)

If you were to try to say you got a spa equivalent to the $10k spas out there and therefore "saved $5k" then I'd very much disagree.

The way I look at it....there are spas for 10k at a dealer, there are spas that are 5k at costco....I got everything I wanted in my spa....for 5k. Do the math....10-5=5. No matter how you try and dilute it its still the same...you can try and subtract value, you can try and add "after the sale" service but the math is still the math. I am not here to hype Hydro spa...I think all products today are over priced...I just look for what I consider a good deal and act on it. If it goes south I learn from it...if it doesnt then I am lucky.

[The way I look at it....there are spas for 10k at a dealer, there are spas that are 5k at costco....I got everything I wanted in my spa....for 5k. Do the math....10-5=5. No matter how you try and dilute it its still the same...you can try and subtract value, you can try and add "after the sale" service but the math is still the math. I am not here to hype Hydro spa...I think all products today are over priced...I just look for what I consider a good deal and act on it. If it goes south I learn from it...if it doesnt then I am lucky.[/color]

[/b]

The way I see it is you can get a so-so value tub from Costco for 5 grand and a top of the line tub from a dealer (if you need a dealer) for 7-8 grand. There's a nitch for both. It's when I hear "I got the same thing from Costco for 5 grand that the dealer was trying to sell to me for 10 grand that I get irked, and I think that has been the stickler all along. Can't we all just get along? After all I paid 4 grand for mine.

The way I look at it....there are spas for 10k at a dealer, there are spas that are 5k at costco....I got everything I wanted in my spa....for 5k. Do the math....10-5=5.

LOL. You're the one comparing your purchase to $10k spas and pulling out the calculator.

You decided to spend less and get a $5k spa that has been everything you wanted/needed. Good for you, let's hope it all works out long term and if not put it back in the bag and return it.

The way I see it is you can get a so-so value tub from Costco for 5 grand and a top of the line tub from a dealer (if you need a dealer) for 7-8 grand. There's a nitch for both. It's when I hear "I got the same thing from Costco for 5 grand that the dealer was trying to sell to me for 10 grand that I get irked, and I think that has been the stickler all along. Can't we all just get along? After all I paid 4 grand for mine.

Why get irked? Arent you a repair/plumber man? So then you go and say "so so" value tub from costco and a "top of the line" tub from a dealer? lets run down the list here.....

Both hold water....................check

both have jets......................check

both have seats....................check

both have stereos.................check

both have pumps..................check

both have blowers................check

both have similar warranties...check

both have purdy lights..........check

both have a nifty waterfall....check

both have covers.................check

both have lifters..................check

both have aromatherapy......check

both have a saleman standing there ready to sell you........NOPE...no check....see in order to feed his family he will do whatever it takes to make a sale. We all know sales tactics. Having to pay that salesman takes money off the bottom line. So for a 10k tub if a dealer had no saleman he would still be selling that tub because its 10k, or would it be less since he doesn't have to pay a sales force? The markup comes from having an inventory to sit on, salesman's commission and the overhead of running a dealership.

"Ok, what exactly is a 10k tub??"

You are the one that is comparing yours to a 10K tub. Are you saying that all tubs are pretty much the same?

"I was actually generalizing when I said spank that A$$ but somehow someone who paid less than I did was insulted by it."

Who said I was insulted by it? I only said it was typical of the posts on here. I've seen it before dozens of times. It's the same over and over.

Both cost about $25-$30 a month operate in winter nope

You can wet test nope

I don't disagree with you that there will be more markup at a dealer but if you think there is 5K markup you are crazy.

"Ok, what exactly is a 10k tub??"

You are the one that is comparing yours to a 10K tub. Are you saying that all tubs are pretty much the same?

"I was actually generalizing when I said spank that A$$ but somehow someone who paid less than I did was insulted by it."

Who said I was insulted by it? I only said it was typical of the posts on here. I've seen it before dozens of times. It's the same over and over.

I never compared my spa to a 10k tub...what I said was they are both the same animal but for two different prices. I choose to pay 5k versus 10k. The only difference that really matters to me since I am happy with my spa. In your last post you are the one who said it wasnt a 10k tub....your right...I only paid 5k for it!