Easy Touch-Pumps Won't Turn On

PoolMedic

Is the main pump a variable speed pump? Does it have a panel on the motor with 4 speed settings? Does it also have a digital display?

If it is a variable speed without the display (4 speed buttons and a start/stop), then try turning the pump on manually when the panel is in service mode by using the controller attached to the motor. Selecting a speed and pressing "start" should fire it up. If this works, then there is a good chance you have an issue with your programing.

If it has a digital display on it (newer model of variable speed pump) then the display on the motor should tell you to control it from the easytouch panel (indicating that they are communicating). If it does tell you to consult the panel, try manually turning it on as listed above. If you can still manually engage the pump, then (once again) you may have a programming issue. If the display does not tell you to consult the easytouch, there is a communication issue between the pump and controller (which means something is goofy in the wiring, probably a bad relay).

The booster pump won't work without the main circ pump running.

A common issue with the easytouch is that people often create additional "schedules" within the system. In the settings for your pump schedules, it is very easy to make this mistake by scrolling up through your schedules. Just pressing the up button on the panel will make a brand new schedule, and more often than not, paralyze your equipment. I have seen homeowners with 9 duplicate schedules. Very common.

Without the panel in front of me or a manual I can't really be more specific on troublshooting the programming. If I have time today I will see if I can dig the info up.

Is the main pump a variable speed pump? Does it have a panel on the motor with 4 speed settings? Does it also have a digital display?

If it is a variable speed without the display (4 speed buttons and a start/stop), then try turning the pump on manually when the panel is in service mode by using the controller attached to the motor. Selecting a speed and pressing "start" should fire it up. If this works, then there is a good chance you have an issue with your programing.

If it has a digital display on it (newer model of variable speed pump) then the display on the motor should tell you to control it from the easytouch panel (indicating that they are communicating). If it does tell you to consult the panel, try manually turning it on as listed above. If you can still manually engage the pump, then (once again) you may have a programming issue. If the display does not tell you to consult the easytouch, there is a communication issue between the pump and controller (which means something is goofy in the wiring, probably a bad relay).

The booster pump won't work without the main circ pump running.

A common issue with the easytouch is that people often create additional "schedules" within the system. In the settings for your pump schedules, it is very easy to make this mistake by scrolling up through your schedules. Just pressing the up button on the panel will make a brand new schedule, and more often than not, paralyze your equipment. I have seen homeowners with 9 duplicate schedules. Very common.

Without the panel in front of me or a manual I can't really be more specific on troublshooting the programming. If I have time today I will see if I can dig the info up.

It is a whisperflo 2hp pump. I haven't checked the programs yet, but I will. The pool owner said they hadn't done anything with the settings. I found the user's guide online and will walk through it tomorrow when I go to service the pool. I had the pool owner put it in service mode to see if they could turn on anything manually. The waterfall pump came on but the main and booster didn't. I see in the manual there is a "self test" to show any error codes; I was thinking of trying that too.

Thanks for your time guys. The breaker was tripped. Reset it and the motor hummed and tripped the breaker again. The impeller is clear, the shaft spins freely, the integrity of the connections to the motor and inside the control panel are intact, and the EasyTouch passed the "self test." It's actually a 3 hp Whisperflo. I guess I'll be replacing a capacitor. Anything I may have missed?

It's a 3hp? That is a very large pump for a residential pool, especially one that already has a pump dedicated to water features and a booster pump powered sweep. Does he have 2nd story solar panels or a long run of pipe between the equipment and pool? What size is the plumbing on the pool? It may be wise to down size his pump, if he is receptive to that. That pump is a beast and no doubt guzzling power. It also has the potential to cavitate by attempting to pull more water than the flow rate of his piping will allow, which could lead to issues with the motor down the road or even be the catalyst for the issues you are currently dealing with.

If 3hp is the proper size for his installation then you shouldn't have a problem, but I would very much doubt that to be the case since it's unlikely that he has larger than 2" piping which has a recommended flow rate of around 90gpm. A 3hp Whisperflo pump puts out 150gpm if the system has a Total Dynamic Head of 50 - 60 ft (which would be a lot of head. The flow rate of the pump will only increase with a lower TDH, thus compounding his flow rate issue). I will venture a guess that his pump is (potentially) very over sized.

Just some food for thought. Has he had a lot of issues with his pumps in the past? Is this the original pump for his system? Has he had to replace it previously or recently at all? When the pump is running, does it cavitate at all (the pot only partially fills with water)?

• 6 years later...

I'm a homeowner with a Pentair EasyTouch 8 system.  I have a main pump (variable speed intelliflo) and another one to run the water features.  I have replaced the booster pump once and upon the following issue, ditched it completely for a robotic cleaner.  I also have replaced the motherboard twice in the 6 years I've had the pool.  I am shopping for a third now, since the Pentair help people nor my electrician can figure out what is wrong.  I have a theory it has something to do with lightning, but even after I installed a whole house surge protector, it happened again.  Here's the deal:

The main pump stops being controlled automatically.  The lights on the control panel say it's on, but it's not.  It will turn on/off via the controller on the pump, but I have to manually do that each day.  The pump that controls the water feature still runs its schedule.  The lights are still on automation.  It is just the main pump that isn't running on its schedule.  I am not able to turn any of the above off/on via the main panel currently.  HELP!  

I don't know why this problem continues to occur.  That's my first issue.  I'd love to figure that out so as to stop buying new motherboards.  Also, any thoughts on if/how I can avoid a 4th motherboard in 6 years this time???  I've spent an ungodly amount of money on motherboards, electricians and the surge protector.  Anyone?