Motor/jets Running Constantly To Heat?

We have a new to us (2006) Balboa tub with a Balboa Topside Panel, Lite Digital, 54116 display. This is a basic display with two buttons, lights/jets and temp. Digital heat disply in between. I have no idea how this display operates. I can not find any kind of manual anywhere re: how this control panel works. It seems that there is no setting that allows the tub to heat without the jets/motor running. The motor automatically varies from high to low speed as it's heating. I have been in/seen other tubs that heat without the motor audibly running so I'm hoping our tub can do this, especially for $ reasons. Is this possible? Any input about this particular control panel or the ways to use the tub most efficiently would be greatly appreciated. I live in AL, it will only be below freezing (lower 20s/upper 10s) at night for, maybe, two months. Approx. 2.5 more months of low 40s/high 30s at night if that makes a difference in keeping the tub warm. Thanks!!

The tub has a heating element, and water must be flowing over the element... in other words... there isn't a tub that doesn't pump water over the heater while heating.

Some tubs use small 24hour circ pumps that run in obscurity. Some tubs use the large jet pump (on "low speed") to push water through the heater.

Tubs don't typically "vary" between high speed and low speed while heating, as you describe. If it's cycling between high and low speed- something isn't right.

Hi,

I just want to clarify a popular misconception that I hear all the time. Balboa does not make spa's. We make spa components for spa OEM's. Also, your panel is from 1999. With that said, I looked through all the resources I have available and found this manual. Sorry about the formatting, its the best I could do for getting a PDF into the forum.

Lite Digital Control System

Quick reference card

Start-up

After your jetted bath is properly connected and the pump is activated, the jetted bath

will heat and maintain 100°F (38°C) until you change the set temperature.

Actual jetted bath operation may vary depending upon manufacturer selected features.

Temperature Adjustment

Press the pad to display the temperature previously set. Pressing the pad a second

time will cause the set temperature to increase or decrease depending on what direction

was last chosen. Each press to follow will change the set temperature in the same

direction.

If the opposite direction is desired, release the pad and let the display revert to the

actual water temperature. Press the pad to display the set temperature, and again to

make the temperature change in the desired direction.

Light and Jets Control

Touch the pad once to turn on the bathtub light. Touch the pad again and the

light and low-speed pump will be on. Press the pad a third time and the light and the

high-speed pump will be on. Press the pad again to turn the light and high-speed

pump off. The light and pump will automatically turn off after some period of

operation.

Freeze Protection

If the high-limit sensor detects 40°F (4°C) at the heater, then the pumps automatically

activate to provide freeze protection. The equipment stays on until the sensor detects

45°F (7°C) at the heater. Freeze protection is enabled regardless of spa status. In colder

climates, an optional additional freeze sensor may be added to protect against freeze

conditions. See your dealer for details.

Display Messages

“Overheat” (Bathtub is deactivated)

DO NOT ENTER THE WATER. The jetted bath is overheating. Turn off all

power to the bathtub and call your dealer or service organization. To reset the

jetted bath, press any panel button.

“Flow”

A pressure switch is not working. Call your dealer or service organization.

“Sensor” (Bathtub is deactivated)

The high-limit sensor or water temperature sensor is not working. Call your

dealer or service organization.

“Low Water” (optional)

The water level in the bathtub is too low.