Cement Pad Questions

zzmac

Hi all,

I'm having a 4" cement pad done in my backyard. I bought a Sundance Optima and a Covana to go over it.

Does the cement pad need to be reinforced? If so, how?

Also my backyard has a 1% grade. Does that mean that the pad will automatically have the same 1% grade or do they have to pour it with a very slight incline so water will drain off of it. How does that work?

Thanks in advance.

Depending on your local code, the metal reinforcing may need to "Ground Bonded" This is a common requirement for pools and depending on your local code it may also apply to a hot tub. It's actually very easy to do and since you're starting from scratch it's not a bad idea to do it even if your local code doesn't demand it.

What's involved in "ground bonding"?

Depending on your local code, the metal reinforcing may need to "Ground Bonded" This is a common requirement for pools and depending on your local code it may also apply to a hot tub. It's actually very easy to do and since you're starting from scratch it's not a bad idea to do it even if your local code doesn't demand it.

Also, my tub will be recessed into my deck so no one would be stepping on the cement pad to get in or out of the tub. That being the case is ground bonding necessary?

What's involved in "ground bonding"?

Ground Bonding simply means that the wire reinforcing is electrically grounded to the hot tub bonding lugs. To do this simply attach a length of #8 copper ground wire to the mesh with a lug before you pour. Have the wire exit the concrete beside where your main conduit will enter the tub. Simply attach the other end of the wire to the "Bonding" lug inside the spa (Usually found on the metal heater barrel of most spa's, Check your owner's manual.

As for whether or not this is necessary, Local codes vary all over the map on this one. Some argue that a hot tub is "Portable" and is internally ground bonded therefore is exempt while others hold firm that any metal within 5' must be bonded. You have to check your local code! If it was Me, considering the minimal cost involved, I'd just add the bonding wire before I poured the concrete.

zzmac, Two comments. Note that you want a level base for your spa so the water will be level in the spa.

As for grounding to rebar or mesh in the pad, this is always smart. Even if people aren't standing on it this gives better protection, supplementing* the ground back at your main electric box and not requiring that a short travel that distance to effective ground. (all that rebar or mesh)

*NOTE WELL, a ground at the spa is no substitute for running neutral and grounding wires back to the main box. A ground at your spa can supplement but not substitute. Also, our local codes call for 6 gauge ground wires to earth.

Disclosure: I'm not an electrician.