San Juan 1958?

Integrity

I was doing some research into the claim that George Sullivan founded the company in 1958 What a bunch of baloney. Turns out that the facts are this, 1958 Robert and Mary Ann Stark formed the company and started making fiberglass pools. In 1968, Starks entered into a partnership with Ervin Parent and Edgar Harmon and continued making fiberglass pools. George Sullivan gets involved around 1975 some 17 years after. It is somewhat unclear on those details, but the notion that George Sullivan was the founder of San Juan Pools is an outright lie. Sullivan's first patent for a fiberglass pool was not until 1982. So for all those out there who thought The elder Sullivan was the pioneer, you are sadley mistaken

My point was to bring to attention the lie that San Juan places on there website, that George Sullivan founded the company and somehow invented the fiberglass pool. It's an issue that goes to credibility of facts. That continues to be there story line over and over again. If they lie about this, what else would they lie about"............

You are correct, Newbie. In the early 1970s, I developed the materials and process for tiling fiberglass. I installed tile for Caldera spas, Cal Spas, Dimension One (Spa Store at the time) and about 12 spa installers. I was based in El Cajon California. In 1973 I got a call from San Juan in Hemet California. They wanted to subcontract tile installs on their pools. Every check they gave my, came from a corp. I don't remember the name. I think it was 1975 that George Sullivan and group bought the company. I installed tile for them until the 1980s, I traveled to Lakeland Florida and helped set up their tiling facility. They filed a bankruptcy in the 1980s. Of course, I stopped installing for they.

George Sullivan did more for tile on fiberglass than anyone in the industry except me.

My point was to bring to attention the lie that San Juan places on there website, that George Sullivan founded the company and somehow invented the fiberglass pool. It's an issue that goes to credibility of facts. That continues to be there story line over and over again. If they lie about this, what else would they lie about"............

So tell me, what competitor do you work for that you feel this need to set the record straight and joined this forum to do so without any other posting history? (and for the life of me, I really don't see how it matters one bit since San Juan today is a quality pool).

Waterbear, I am actually a San Juan Dealer, I was just tired or hearing the same old BS over and over that's all. No axe to grind here, just the facts. San Juan is a decent pool and they offer good innovation to the industry. You will see more of me now, just found the forum recently. You seem to think I have an agenda, well for the record I do not.