Del Ozone With 2000 Grandee

fibercoug

That is what I thought. I have a new Del MCD-50 ozone generator that blew its fuse. With all the problems I had with my old generator I am trying to figure out whether it is the board or the generator. I put in a new fuse and if that blows I will then put the generator on the bench and see if it blows independent of the spa board. If it is the board then I will find another spot to pull power from on the spa.

Fuse blew again so I pulled the MCD-50 and have it on the bench now. I will give it a day or two and if it does not blow the fuse then something on the control board is bleeding over to the ozone outlet and causing a power surge. I will probably bypass the control board and pull power directly from the terminals where the incoming power hooks into the control box.

It doesn't work that way- the ozone unit is just... bad

I will probably bypass the control board and pull power directly from the terminals where the incoming power hooks into the control box.

That's essentially what the ozone terminals are- only the through the main interlock relay- it doesn't modify voltage in any shape way, or form- it is simply a switch that's either open or closed. The fuse doesn't blow because the voltage is off- it blows because the amp draw is too high- the only way that's a voltage issue is if the voltage is absurdly high or low- you'd have other issues if that was the case. The ozone unit is responsible for the amp draw...

What size fuse is in there, and do you have an amp clamp?

No amp clamp only a multimeter. It is a 1 amp 250v fuse (T1AL slow blow) which is what was in there when I got it. It is a brand new MCD-50. I have had it running on the bench now for 9 hours and it has not blown. I didn't think the voltage was modified to the ozone generator terminals and I understand what you are saying as to why a fuse blows. The old ozone generator (a Del T3) was causing all kinds of issues with the control board until I unplugged it (see some of my other posts). At least I assumed it was the generator. If the new generator continues running on the bench for a day I will reinstall it with power coming before the control board and see what happens.

It keeps getting stranger. If I keep the cover on the Del MCD-50 the fuse will blow after an hour or two. Take the cover off and it runs fine. I checked closely for something that may be shorting out but can't find anything. I am wondering if it can be a thermal problem. Maybe the power supply is overheating but just guessing at the moment.

• 2 weeks later...

Update...

The second ozone generator did the exact same thing. It would run with cover off but with it on it would blow the fuse. I experimented and tried a bunch of different scenerios including running a seperate GFCI protected line to the tub to power the ozone generator and the fuse still blew. In fact the last time it blew it took out the power supply along with it. Now the fuse will blow as soon as power is applied to the generator and I traced the problem to the power supply. Del is being great about it and is sending me a third MCD-50. They believe I got two bad generators in a row. Just for giggles I put the original MCD-50 back in with the cover off and it has been running for 3 days now with no problem. This tells me it can't be a problem with the tub but has to be in the generators. I hope the third one is the charm.

Update again.

Third MCD-50 did the same thing. So I think we are back to the tub. Since I have tried independent power supplies seperate from the tub the only thing left is the vacuum. Could the circulation pump be getting weak and not pulling enough water through the injector to get a good vacuum? How much vacuum should there be? I have no experiance with the Mazzei injectors so I have no clue how much vacuum I should be pulling. I have a vacuum gage that barely gets off the 0 mark. The tech said the circulation pump was okay but I wonder. I plan in the next few months on replacing it and the injector.

Thanks for any information you may have.

The vacuum is unrelated to blowing a fuse. The ozone generator is clueless if there's any airflow, or not.

Three blown fuses in three separate units qualifies as weird. There just isn't anything in the spa I'm aware of that would blow a fuse in your ozone generator. And having it covered vs uncovered should have no bearing whatsoever. You're going to need a pipe, magnifying glass, and an Olde' English accent to figure this out.

Is there any chance you have the tub in summer mode, and water is backing up into the ozone generator when the circ pump turns off?

Not in summer mode. There is no evidence of water backing up into the generator. Besides the fuse will blow even if the ozone is vented to the outside and not even connected to the injector. As you can see by my posts I have tried just about everything I can think of and always end up with a blown fuse. It is a real head scratcher. I have sent one of the units back to Del to see if they can figure anything out. They are as stumped as I am.

The one thing in common with all the generators is it seems to be a thermal problem. The power supplies just get pretty darn hot.

• 1 month later...

Update again.

Del sent me one of their APG units. Their thinking is that EMI was affecting my control board and causing power spikes blowing the fuse in the MCD-50. So far after 2 weeks I have had no problems with the APG unit. The green light is on the APG and I have had no problems with my tub. If their thinking is correct I should be able to wrap the MCD-50 in aluminum foil and remount it inside the equipment bay (I mounted it outside the tub in an enclosure and it had been working fine out there.). I may try that experiment next summer when it warms up just to see what happens.

Del has been great through all this. I cannot recommend them enough if someone is looking for an ozone generator. Customer service is fantastic.

Thanks for the update,

EMI happens so infrequently, it's extremely unusual, but actually kind of special when you really witness it causing an issue. Congrats on your, and DELL's, continues perseverance, and getting to the root of the problem. This happens (rarely) with FWIII's as well. I've only seen it happen once, and the result of the interference didn't manifest as a blown fuse, although that too is possible.

Enjoy

~Ben