I Have Bugs Under My Spa Living In The Foam

johnnyb60

I’m not sure what they are but I think they are cockroaches. When I first moved a tub a couple of weeks ago I noticed them running away as I was moving it and killed them by stepping on them. I removed the sides and didn’t see anything inside. I just happen to have a large spray bottle of insecticide for an ant problem and sprayed everything down except the foam. I didn’t know what kind of reaction there would be to the foam so I left it alone.

Well the next morning I found about 6 or 7 of the bug’s dead around the tub and thought all was well. So then last night I saw about 20 or 30 tiny bugs perhaps babies of the bigger one I killed earlier eating a piece of dog bone. I think I heard somewhere that that they lay eggs every 7 days or something. Anyway I sprayed and killed them all and then sprayed all the way around the tub. I think they are in the foam and I’m hesitant to spray the foam because I just don't know if it will melt it.

We don’t have bugs in the house and a neighbor said that he thought they were some sort of water bug, but i just don't know. I have seen some very large ones around our fish pond and I’m not sure if they are the same. Is this a common problem with spas? I’ve lived here for 20 years and I’ve never even heard of cockroaches in the area.

The bug spray will not melt the foam. I don't think they are living in the foam.

Thanks! I don’t know where else they are coming from. It’s almost all concrete surrounding the tub except for some fine packed shale rock in the back. There is a sheet metal bottom and they do appear to come from underneath, but its new concrete and I can’t imagine they would want to be under there. There are some places under the power panel and pumps that I can’t see where they might be.

The surrounding concrete is exposed to the sun all day long and gets too hot to walk on with bare feet so they would have to walk quite a ways to get to the tub. I noticed them only about an hour after sundown and don’t believe they walked too far especially that many at a time so they had to come from the tub.

I read about someone repairing leaks and finding mice burrowing into the foam so that's why I’m thinking they may be in the foam. I had the cover panels off for a few day while I was water sealing the wood and there were wasps really interested in the foam so I was rushing to get it closed back up.

Anyway I just got back from the store after buying some roach traps and also a spray roach barrier. I’m going to give it a try 1st then I’m calling the exterminator before they get into the house.

Hot Tubs are a paradise for Roaches, Spiders, you name it, especially if you have a leak, which has been mentioned. If your spa has a plywood bottom with or without the plastic sheet, there should be a gap between the tub and concrete. First fix any leaks, empty tub, then I suggest 1 by 2 pressure treated furing strips from building supply. Place strips about 10 inches apart(8 to 10 strips) under tub creating an air gap between bottom of tub and concrete. This allows bottom to dry after a rain, splashing, and your exterminator can spray under the tub when they service your home. Also throwing a couple moth balls inside enclosure will help with rodents and many bugs. The furing strips help save your wooden enclosure, bottom, and allows for bug prevention. You can also use steel wool for holes in the corners of enclosure to prevent rodents. Happy Hot Tubbing!

I suggest 1 by 2 pressure treated furing strips from building supply. Place strips about 10 inches apart(8 to 10 strips) under tub creating an air gap between bottom of tub and concrete. This allows bottom to dry after a rain, splashing, and your exterminator can spray under the tub when they service your home.

DO NOT DO THIS!!!!!!!! Unless checking with the manufacturer of the spa FIRST, AND GET THEIR APPROVAL in writing. Many, if not most spas NEED to be FULLY supported across the entire bottom or else they'll possible warp and crack.

I don’t want to take a chance on rodents, I read that a mouse can fit through a ½” hole so I made pretty sure the bottom was closed off tight, but I guess the bugs still can get in.

I have my entire backyard dug up while doing some landscaping and installing a new sprinkler system so it has not been watered in almost 3 weeks and it’s pretty dry. I do have leaks in the tub and have drained the tub for repairs but the foam is still wet, so I guess the bugs are after the water.

I haven’t seen anymore since I sprayed it all down with insecticide and I’m impressed with how effective this stuff is. I’ve started spraying all the way around the house just as a preventive. I still don’t know for sure what kind of bugs they are.