Patio Is Not Level And Hot Tub Is Already Delivered!

mhaleusa

Hello All,

I've read all the threads that I could come across via Google and I'm just feeling that I'm not sure what I need to do. Here is our situation: We purchased a brand new Sundance Optima that was delivered less than a week ago. I couldn't tell when it was delivered but as I was filling it up I noticed that the water level was quite higher on one side than the other. Sure enough there is something like from 1 to about 1.5 inch difference from side to side. That is to say that the "filter side" of the tub is higher than the other side.

The difference actually is a huge factor because in order to have the "high" side have enough water to completely cover the top jets then the low side (where the filter is located) has to be very high. This will cover the speakers in water from time to time on that side and I am sure that the water level into the filter is far too high.

The spa dealer is really not offering too much help here. He suggested that we throw a 1x4 pressure (laid out on its side = raising the tub approximately 1 inch) treated board under the low side (using a jack that he has in the store) and some play sand to fill in the small gap that would remiain between where the tub touches the concret again. In doing some reading, I've read that pea gravel is something that many have used. So I picked up some of that.

I'm curious what the thoughts are on this here. The tub is already hooked up and I don't think removing the electric is an option (electrician said that he'd probably have to pull new wires). Even if I did that, I have no resources to get people to help me move this beast so that I could build a little box out of PT wood and gravel. In addition the tub dealer is telling me its not that big of a deal. I kind of feel that I'm stuck here and don't have a ton of options. I know you aren't supposed to shim these tubs but what about if the board runs along an entire side on the base and I use rocks to fille in the the small resulting gap?

Any thoughts or comments are appreciated. This is kid of ruining the "new tub" experience for me!

Pictures would be helpful.

The slab that my spa rests has a slope, I have it oriented so that the filter is on the "deep" side. There is only an inch difference in water level, side to side, it is barely noticeable and I don't worry about it.

If you must shim it to level, I would think that it is important to evenly support the bottom of the tub to prevent it from twisting or causing the tub from sagging, which could stress the shell or plumbing.

I'm sure a spa tech on this forum will have some good Ideas about this..

Dave

Well, with our tub the difference is too noticable. To keep the water on the deeper side at an appropriate level for the filter it leaves the neck jets in the therapy seat uncovered. So I have a hot tub that I have to turn the neck jets off if I want to run it. Not to mention that... but if I fill it a little higher then when you get in the speakers are underwater on the high side. I can't imagine that they are designed to be underwater!

I don’t know anything about the speakers, but I did have to remember about the neck jets and not turn on full power without being in it.

I have recently after years of use put in another concrete slab that is level and moved the spa. I actually like the new location much better anyway. Plus it gives me a larger patio

Id try this if I was in your situation. Id build a 4x6 frame around the pad. Get a few people to help you lift it on to the frame on 2 sides(supporting 3 corners) and brace the other corner with a chunk of 4x6 and back fill and level the gravel in the form. Then just shift it back onto the newly raised and level pad. It sucks if your electrician didn't leave even 6" of slack at your connection. I'm not a pro but I'm fairly handy DIYr and that would be my suggestion.

I can take a picture in a little bit when I get home. Yes, I suppose that a level patio should have been thought of first. I guess that since the previous owner had a hot tub there complete with the electrical set up I assumed that it would be level. The installers/dealer didn't say anything about how level it was.... it was only once I started filling it up that I noticed that it was significant. If the tub was oriented such that the filter basket was on the lower side I'd simply fill it with a bit more water but with the way it is set up... I've filled it to where the top of my filter basket is overflowing so that the neck jets can be covered on the other side. Once I get in... too much water of course.

Again, I guess I bare the responsibility of assuring it was level.... it looked level though and with the previous tub being there... I just made the assumption that I was set placing it there.

Most patios have a slope to them, it is so water will not collect and drain off when it rains.

I recently poured a slab, my friend, who has 35 years of concrete experience and was advising me on my project, told me to be sure to put at least a 1/2" difference from side to side in the form, to make sure the surface drains.

Dave

Most patios have a slope to them, it is so water will not collect and drain off when it rains. I recently poured a slab, my friend, who has 35 years of concrete experience and was advising me on my project, told me to be sure to put at least a 1/2" difference from side to side in the form, to make sure the surface drains. Dave
It's not only wise but in many cases (like mine) the patio is at the back of the house therefore it's CODE!! My tub has about 3/4" difference in water hight. Fortunately I took this into consideration when we were looking at tubs. When layed out the way we wanted, the filter was on the correct side

If it were me I would drain and disconnect the tub. Tip it up onto a blanket and skim coat the slab to level under the tub. There are several products now that are self leveling. Just form it up and seal your form on the bottom, pour in the product and let it cure. If your not familiar call a concrete guy.

Anyone here in Philadelphia/SJ area looking for some work to help me out with doing the above? I am new to the area and don't have friends, family, or "others" to help me out. I am also not very handy and I feel like I am out of options. Any references would be great. If not perhaps I'll try service magic and see if they refer me someone. I need to do this right and right now I've got the feeling of doom instead of joy that I thought I'd have.

Worth a shot.

If it were me I would drain and disconnect the tub. Tip it up onto a blanket and skim coat the slab to level under the tub. There are several products now that are self leveling. Just form it up and seal your form on the bottom, pour in the product and let it cure. If your not familiar call a concrete guy.

Well I like that idea and i wished i would have thought about it.

mhaleusa, i have to say that your tilt is a lot worst then mine was. I'm not sure but I believe I was told that mine was 1/4" per ft

Update: Actually I just went out and measured mine with a 4ft level and it is 1/4” in 4 ft

There are concrete companies that pump grout under your slab to level it out.

Here is a link to a site that tells how they do it,

http://www.concretenetwork.com/concrete/slab_jacking/what_is_slab_jacking.htm

I don't know how much it costs, get more than one estimate.

Dave

Thanks Dave... maybe that will work.

After getting in tonight... I am pretty fed up with it. Having one side that is clearly too high.. with the other side that doesn't cover the jets (as indicated in the picture above) just isn't what I thought I was getting. Nevermind if the wife gets in, that screws it up big time.

I think I am going to get the guy from the dealer to help me jack it up and stick a PVC pipe under it so it can be rolled off to the side. I've already called some concrete people and the electrician to get the ball rolling.

Anyone see any problems with leaving this sitting slight tilted (and empty) on a PVC pipe until I can get the concrete poured?

That's a great tub mhaleusa. I know it's a bummer now but once you get through this, it will be worth it.

FWIW I have about 3/4" difference in my tub and it works fine with my jetting layout and filter location, which I was aware of when I designed the vault that it sits in and choose the tub. I had to be sure that I could drain to a low spot to get water out of the cavity.

Hang in there - you have gotten some good input here and soon all will be well.

• 7 years later...

Mhaleusa,

Thank you for this thread as we are now in the same exact position you once were. Our water has a 2 in difference from one side to the other. We feel sad instead of happy.

Since i'm in the PNW and it is now constantly raining, we will have to wait until summer before concrete work can be done. 

It sucks b/c it was delivered yesterday. Electrician is here right now. I wish a quick disconnect existed...knowing I'm going to have to mess everything up at the first weather opportunity.

Since this thread was from 2012, I would love to hear how it all turned out for you!!!

10 hours ago, Ttaabbee said:

Mhaleusa,

Thank you for this thread as we are now in the same exact position you once were. Our water has a 2 in difference from one side to the other. We feel sad instead of happy.

Since i'm in the PNW and it is now constantly raining, we will have to wait until summer before concrete work can be done. 

It sucks b/c it was delivered yesterday. Electrician is here right now. I wish a quick disconnect existed...knowing I'm going to have to mess everything up at the first weather opportunity.

Since this thread was from 2012, I would love to hear how it all turned out for you!!!

I'd jack it up and put something underneath to get it closer to level.  My own spa is on my back patio and not perfectly level, but likely more level than yours is, I never gave it a second thought.  Been like that for 31 years. 

I installed a master shut-off GFI myself about 20 years ago, spa did not come with that back then.  Only GFI was for the light !