What Are The Highest Quality/top 3-5 Brands?

3pedals4doors

I'm wanting to buy a large, high end high quality model, and I'm a little overwhelmed by the sheer number of different manufacturers out there. I think I need to narrow down my search to a handful of the highest quality brands otherwise I'll never get this figured out.

So I'd like to get some opinions on what would be the top few "go to" brands... the cadillacs of the spa world, if you will. I've heard Jacuzzi, Hot Springs, Dimension 1, and Marquis mentioned a few times... any others I need to add to this list? Any I need to remove from it?

I just finished researching and buying a new tub, and I was willing to pay a premium for a high-quality larger-size tub to hold my family of 5. Based on my research:

- I'd add Sundance to the list, based on the mechanical and design similarities with Jacuzzi (same company, manufacturing, often similar components).

- This is very subjective, but during my own experience, I disqualified Marquis from the running fairly early on. YMMV.

I had a bunch of dealers in my area (Silicon Valley / SF Bay Area), and I looked at the Jacuzzi 400 series, the Sundance 880 series, the Hotspring Highlife models, and the D1 Bay collection.

Caldera is also a hot springs brand as well as lime light and hot spot. In my novice opinion having just gone through the overwhelming search process, I found marquis, Watkins(hot springs/caldera/hot spot) jacuzzi to all be good tubs. We don't have any D1 dealers local so I can't comment on them but others love them. If you stick to one of those you should be good, just comes down to the bells and whistles you want to pay for. If you can live without multiple waterfalls and stereos and 187 jets you can get a nice tub in the 6-7k range. And having studied and read over and over again if it seems too good to be true it probably is. More bells and whistles and hundreds of jets are just more things to break and $$$ to replace in the long run. Nothing wrong with them, just something to consider. Higher end tubs often have the salt water sanitation system and that's one of the only things I wish my hot spot had. Wet test till you find the right one with the features you want.

Also try and find out through the BBB and other people in the area who the reputable and not reputable shops are. Go with a good dealer with good ethics and a good crew because even the best tubs will break and you will likely have need for services at some point so you want someone reliable in your back pocket.

@planetary: Thanks. What made you disqualify Marquis?

@Ja4496: Thanks to you also. What is it that you like better about saltwater? The local dealers I have talked to have tried to steer me away from salt, they say it is a lot of unnecessary expense for a hot tub and is more suited to a pool that doesn't have a cover and therefore loses chlorine to the sun.

FWIW the lead contender I have been looking at is a Hot Springs Grandee. The dealer on that one wants $10,995. That's just for the basic spa and cover (no salt system, TV, or audio), and doesn't include electrical, concrete slab, delivery, steps, chemicals, etc etc etc. I almost bought this one yesterday but the only Hot Springs dealer in our area doesnt have the color option my wife wants in stock (sigh) and says it will be 2+ months before they get one in, so that's what's prompted me to broaden my search.

For me:

- they seemed a bit too focused on glitz (lights, pop-up speakers, push-button scents) and jet count

- not quite as comfortable in the seats

- fit and finish on their higher-end models seemed half a step below the higher-end Jacuzzis (for example)

Overall, I was left with an impression that their higher-end models are very nice... but not quite where the competition us. Just my impression!

I spent the last month in a similar search. Wanted Sundance Optima, but couldn't get comfortable when I finally wet tested - had to get the dealer to move the water from another tub. Same issue with J-365. Never tested a 400 series. Loved the Hot Springs moto massage on the lounge in the Aria, but that is a small tub and poor space usage. Never wet tested the Envoy, but thought the seating was a bit kooky. The next step up was the grandee or vista - just too big and I was leaning back toward needing a lounge. My sense is that Hotsprings is a good quality, poor seating design, and expensive. Initally wanted, then talked myself out, then ended up loving lounges when wet testing.

Ended up buying a D1 Chairman. Best of all worlds as near as I figured. Now waiting for delivery ......

I'm wanting to buy a large, high end high quality model, and I'm a little overwhelmed by the sheer number of different manufacturers out there. I think I need to narrow down my search to a handful of the highest quality brands otherwise I'll never get this figured out.

So I'd like to get some opinions on what would be the top few "go to" brands... the cadillacs of the spa world, if you will. I've heard Jacuzzi, Hot Springs, Dimension 1, and Marquis mentioned a few times... any others I need to add to this list? Any I need to remove from it?

Obviously it depends on who is in your area but my short list would include caldera, d1, hot springs, jacuzzi and sundance. All are well made, built to last, back their warranties, do the hydotherapy job well and are energy efficient.

@Ja4496: Thanks to you also. What is it that you like better about saltwater? The local dealers I have talked to have tried to steer me away from salt, they say it is a lot of unnecessary expense for a hot tub and is more suited to a pool that doesn't have a cover and therefore loses chlorine to the sun.

FWIW the lead contender I have been looking at is a Hot Springs Grandee. The dealer on that one wants $10,995. That's just for the basic spa and cover (no salt system, TV, or audio), and doesn't include electrical, concrete slab, delivery, steps, chemicals, etc etc etc. I almost bought this one yesterday but the only Hot Springs dealer in our area doesnt have the color option my wife wants in stock (sigh) and says it will be 2+ months before they get one in, so that's what's prompted me to broaden my search.

You are wise to consider other options and if you end up with the Grandee you will know that you made the right choice. Two months isn't too long to wait, by the way, to get the color your wife likes - keeping the wife happy is always a good idea. Another way to look at is you have two months to get bids for the electrical work, choose an electrician and get the work scheduled and installed. Same with you concrete contractor.

If you can get the salt system thrown in on the deal that is great but I think for most people it is an expensive addition that is not needed. It is nice if you are going to be out of town for a long time, but there are work arounds and/or inexpensive alternatives for that situation too.

We wet tested Bullfrog, Hot Springs, and Sundance tubs. In our opinions, the Sundance Optima (880 series) was by far the most comfortable tub and had all the bells and whistles we wanted. We weren't really sold on the "moto jets" or whatever that were the signature jets in the HS tub. The last tub we got in was the one we bought... just kind of knew it was right.

We wet tested Bullfrog, Hot Springs, and Sundance tubs. In our opinions, the Sundance Optima (880 series) was by far the most comfortable tub and had all the bells and whistles we wanted. We weren't really sold on the "moto jets" or whatever that were the signature jets in the HS tub. The last tub we got in was the one we bought... just kind of knew it was right.

Congrats. You did it the right way: looked at quality tubs, sought others opinions and wet tested!!

You are wise to consider other options and if you end up with the Grandee you will know that you made the right choice. Two months isn't too long to wait, by the way, to get the color your wife likes - keeping the wife happy is always a good idea. Another way to look at is you have two months to get bids for the electrical work, choose an electrician and get the work scheduled and installed. Same with you concrete contractor.

If you can get the salt system thrown in on the deal that is great but I think for most people it is an expensive addition that is not needed. It is nice if you are going to be out of town for a long time, but there are work arounds and/or inexpensive alternatives for that situation too.

The other thing is that if the Grandee is what you settled on... Which is a nice tub, is it will take you a large portion of the 2 months to get permits, dig, form,pour concrete, cure, electrical install , etc just to get ready.

We did the same path you did and forums we could not justify the Grandee for number of people we have. We settled on a Jacuzzi J345. The 400 series didn't offer much more for the price. We get it delivered next Thurday. Side note, we could of had the Grandee with steps, delivery, starter chemicals, cover lifter for $10,700.

Spent countless hours researching. Ruled out ozonators and ended up with the Jacuzzi J495. I felt like I floated in all other hot tubs than Jacuzzi and the other jets were itchy. IMO! Guess that's why wet testing i so important!