Anybody Here Actually Work On Portable Spas?

johnnyb60

I need to reseal almost every jet housing in my 8’x8’ spa and I just can’t reach them all. I want to tip it on its side or better yet turn it upside down. I remember the guys who 1st delivered mine saying something about only being able to tilt it one way when I wanted to turn it 90 deg. They said they could not turn it because it would have to be tilted the wrong way. Is that true?

My only other alternative is razing it up about 30”, but there is a sheet metal bottom that I might have to remove to get at some of the lower jets.

I need to reseal almost every jet housing in my 8’x8’ spa and I just can’t reach them all. I want to tip it on its side or better yet turn it upside down. I remember the guys who 1st delivered mine saying something about only being able to tilt it one way when I wanted to turn it 90 deg. They said they could not turn it because it would have to be tilted the wrong way. Is that true?

My only other alternative is razing it up about 30”, but there is a sheet metal bottom that I might have to remove to get at some of the lower jets.

Most manufactures reccomend only tilting them up so the equipment is on the bottom. It's easier anyway. But there are some that can be tipped in any direction. And flipping it all the way over shouldn't be a problem at all. For sure remove the bottom.

I need to reseal almost every jet housing in my 8’x8’ spa and I just can’t reach them all. I want to tip it on its side or better yet turn it upside down. I remember the guys who 1st delivered mine saying something about only being able to tilt it one way when I wanted to turn it 90 deg. They said they could not turn it because it would have to be tilted the wrong way. Is that true? My only other alternative is razing it up about 30”, but there is a sheet metal bottom that I might have to remove to get at some of the lower jets.
Most manufactures reccomend only tilting them up so the equipment is on the bottom. It's easier anyway. But there are some that can be tipped in any direction. And flipping it all the way over shouldn't be a problem at all. For sure remove the bottom.

Thanks, I was beginning to wonder if anybody read these. I’m still struggling with how I’m going to pull this off and I’m not looking forward to the eyesore it’s going to make on my patio. I almost wish I could send it out to be rebuilt. I’m even thinking of just writing it off and buying a small 2 person one.

Anyway I guess if I do this, I’m going to stand it on the side it came in with the motors and controls on the bottom. This way I’ll be able to reach most of everything, but I may have to remove the motors and control panel for that side. The specs say it weighs 900 lbs empty and I’m not sure if I’ll be able to turn it upside down without some sort of support. It’s getting toward the time of year when we get really high winds, so I’m also going to have to secure it from blowing over and I’m not sure if I’ll have to protect it from the rain.

I have discovered a couple of defects from the manufacture while poking around in it. I had an air control knob that never seemed to do anything and I just discovered that hose for it is bent so much that it’s pinched off. I also noticed that the last time I used it a few jets we not working at all and I have no idea why so I’m hoping I’ll be able to see what’s causing that after all the foam is off

I do have one question and that is how would I know if I may need to replace a jet?

I need to reseal almost every jet housing in my 8’x8’ spa and I just can’t reach them all. I want to tip it on its side or better yet turn it upside down. I remember the guys who 1st delivered mine saying something about only being able to tilt it one way when I wanted to turn it 90 deg. They said they could not turn it because it would have to be tilted the wrong way. Is that true? My only other alternative is razing it up about 30”, but there is a sheet metal bottom that I might have to remove to get at some of the lower jets.
Thanks, I was beginning to wonder if anybody read these. I’m still struggling with how I’m going to pull this off and I’m not looking forward to the eyesore it’s going to make on my patio. I almost wish I could send it out to be rebuilt. I’m even thinking of just writing it off and buying a small 2 person one. Anyway I guess if I do this, I’m going to stand it on the side it came in with the motors and controls on the bottom. This way I’ll be able to reach most of everything, but I may have to remove the motors and control panel for that side. The specs say it weighs 900 lbs empty and I’m not sure if I’ll be able to turn it upside down without some sort of support. It’s getting toward the time of year when we get really high winds, so I’m also going to have to secure it from blowing over and I’m not sure if I’ll have to protect it from the rain. I have discovered a couple of defects from the manufacture while poking around in it. I had an air control knob that never seemed to do anything and I just discovered that hose for it is bent so much that it’s pinched off. I also noticed that the last time I used it a few jets we not working at all and I have no idea why so I’m hoping I’ll be able to see what’s causing that after all the foam is off I do have one question and that is how would I know if I may need to replace a jet?

What year and make is this thing? It may not be worth all the effort and work. If you put a price on your labor. Unless you enjoy it. Whenever I dig foam for a major repair I have the advantage of moving the tub into my garage. Most minor repairs there is not a lot of foam to dig out. Generaly if your digging foam to replace a bunch of stuff especially jets it's not worth it as the tub is 10 or more years old. Lets say it is an 8 year old middle of the road tub. It's only worth a grand or 2 so why invest more than that into it?

I’m inclined to agree with you. I would love to have a smaller one and I really like the layout of the Dream Maker Fantasy 2 Person Portable Spa, but I don’t like the 120V system and that silly heater. If I could find something similar in 240V, I might just go for it.

The one i have now is a Diamante Spas Mojave Elite Series 46 jets and I cannot remember exactly when I bought it but the plate on the side says it was made in 2003. We only used it in the summer months and there was about 5 years that we didn’t use it at all because my wife was battling cancer. Now she’s ok and back to normal, so I poured a new concrete slab and relocated it so we could enjoy it again. That’s when I discovered it leaked really bad.

Ahhh yes Diamante. Lower middle of the road tubs with a really nice wood shop. They had what I considered nice wooden cabinetry. However the rest of the tub was nothing but mediocre and it is now 9 years old. If they are wet their entire life they seem to fair better than if they are dryed out on and off over their life. If you havent replaced the pumps or heater those will also need replacing soon along with all the jet work your doing, personaly I wouldn't bother. If it was a higher end better quality brand I may consider it but even then I would limit the amount I put into it unless......like I said you enjoy working on stuff.

... If they are wet their entire life they seem to fair better than if they are dryed out on and off over their life. .....

Aw you just hit a nerve and maybe you can help me understand something. A guy at a spa store told me something that has been bugging me ever since.

When I first decided to start the tub back up after it being empty for so long, I needed some supplies and some advice on starting it back up. As soon as the guy heard shut down for 5 years, the first thing out of his mouth was “it’s going to leak bad”. I was immediately taken back and was on the defense, because to me it was still a new and expensive tub. Then it started leaking as soon as I got it cleaned out and working.

The thing that’s bugging me is how did he know without even seeing it and why? I work in construction and seal things up all the time. Most caulking that I use has a 10 or 12 year rating. Why do tubs leak only after a few years if empty? Then my daughter told me that when she was looking to buy a house she found one with a spa in back, but the real-estate person said to not get excited about the spa because there are too many problems and she would most likey have to remove it.

This sounds like a real flaw in the design or maybe it’s done on purpose so you have to buy another tub in a few years. Even an aquarium that’s been dry for years still holds water without a leak. I just don’t understand this.

I am not a repairman but I would guess that the temperature variations that an empty spa experiences contribute to the problem. It is common in many areas to have daily temperatrue swings of 20 degrees, 30 degrees or more. Annual temperature extremes may vary by 100 degrees. A filled tub wtih a heater will stay at 102 degrees year around. Further, if not properly winterized and exposed to freezing temperatures, water in the plumping could freeze, expand and cause problems,

I am not a repairman but I would guess that the temperature variations that an empty spa experiences contribute to the problem. It is common in many areas to have daily temperatrue swings of 20 degrees, 30 degrees or more. Annual temperature extremes may vary by 100 degrees. A filled tub wtih a heater will stay at 102 degrees year around. Further, if not properly winterized and exposed to freezing temperatures, water in the plumping could freeze, expand and cause problems,

Oh now that sounds pretty logical and I can accept that. Thanks

Bingo. The sealant around the jets is all nice and warm and snugly. Holds a perfect seal. Then you shut it down and let it get cold then warm then cold. Crack, split, deteriorate, leak. If it hasn't been run in 5 years then there is less than 5 years on the pump/heater. It may lest for a few more but the pump seal could go after a few days of operation. Then you might as well replace the pump, and hell if your in there might as well replace the heater. You want mostly trouble free for 5-7 even 10 years you better re-think. You want trouble free for 10-15 even 20 years you better go high end. Dimension One, Marquis, Hot Springs, Sundance in no particular order even though yes that's my preferential order.

Bingo. The sealant around the jets is all nice and warm and snugly. Holds a perfect seal. Then you shut it down and let it get cold then warm then cold. Crack, split, deteriorate, leak. If it hasn't been run in 5 years then there is less than 5 years on the pump/heater. It may lest for a few more but the pump seal could go after a few days of operation. Then you might as well replace the pump, and hell if your in there might as well replace the heater. You want mostly trouble free for 5-7 even 10 years you better re-think. You want trouble free for 10-15 even 20 years you better go high end. Dimension One, Marquis, Hot Springs, Sundance in no particular order even though yes that's my preferential order.

Thanks! Actually I did have to replace the heater within a couple of years after I bought it because I wanted to move it 2 ft and drained the water. I then turned on the power before it had water in it. At the time I thought there might be enough water in the pipes, but apparently not. I can’t remember now what it was but something else burned out at the same time and I had to send out for it.

I’ve been thinking about this leaking problem when shutting it down and I starting to think that maybe I should not have a spa at all, because there is no way I want to pay for heating this thing through the winter months. I’ve made a solar heater out of ABS pipe for the summer which works pretty good, but it doesn’t work very well in the winter

I’ve been thinking about this leaking problem when shutting it down and I starting to think that maybe I should not have a spa at all, because there is no way I want to pay for heating this thing through the winter months. I’ve made a solar heater out of ABS pipe for the summer which works pretty good, but it doesn’t work very well in the winter

Not sure where you live johnnyb60 but using the tub in cooler weather, even snow, is one of the most enjoyable times to use it. Of course it varies from spa to spa, utility costs and how much you use the tub, but if you have a well insulated tub the cost for heating is not a major percentage of the cost of ownership. It could be different for you but where I live in Seattle, a mild climate with very reasonable electricty rates, I estimated before purchasing that my cost for electrcity would be about 15% - 25% of my cost of ownership over the life of the tub. I realize tha most people will pay a higher percentage.

If you eliminate the winter use you will save $ on heating, but you will have to winterize when you shut it down, decontaminate when you start it up and you increase the liklihood of of problems. I am just a consumer but if that 60 in your name means what I think it might I think that spending a bit for enjoyment would be a good move, unless $ are tight. Great place to do a little stretching too - its good for physical health and mental health.

Not sure where you live johnnyb60 but using the tub in cooler weather, even snow, is one of the most enjoyable times to use it. Of course it varies from spa to spa, utility costs and how much you use the tub, but if you have a well insulated tub the cost for heating is not a major percentage of the cost of ownership. It could be different for you but where I live in Seattle, a mild climate with very reasonable electricty rates, I estimated before purchasing that my cost for electrcity would be about 15% - 25% of my cost of ownership over the life of the tub. I realize tha most people will pay a higher percentage. If you eliminate the winter use you will save $ on heating, but you will have to winterize when you shut it down, decontaminate when you start it up and you increase the liklihood of of problems. I am just a consumer but if that 60 in your name means what I think it might I think that spending a bit for enjoyment would be a good move, unless $ are tight. Great place to do a little stretching too - its good for physical health and mental health.

Well my wife will argue with me on this but the last time I looked, it cost me about $200 to $250 per month to operate in the winter. She says it was a lot less and I can’t say for sure because she pays the bills. Our winters are not extremely cold, but it does drop below freezing and once in a while it snows for a day or two. I myself can’t take the shock of jumping out of hot water and running through freezing temps to the house although everybody else around here seems to enjoy it.

My wife wants the tub and is willing to compromise on shutting it down in the winter. I admit I defiantly need it myself. I don’t have that many more years before retirement and with the economy today my retirement is going to hurt so I’m trying to save as much as I can now.

If I did leave it operating all winter, I definitely need to buy the best cover they make and somehow insulate the bottom. Maybe I can fill it with foam or add 2” ridged foam insulation around the bottom of it for the winter.

Not sure where you live johnnyb60 but using the tub in cooler weather, even snow, is one of the most enjoyable times to use it. Of course it varies from spa to spa, utility costs and how much you use the tub, but if you have a well insulated tub the cost for heating is not a major percentage of the cost of ownership. It could be different for you but where I live in Seattle, a mild climate with very reasonable electricty rates, I estimated before purchasing that my cost for electrcity would be about 15% - 25% of my cost of ownership over the life of the tub. I realize tha most people will pay a higher percentage. If you eliminate the winter use you will save $ on heating, but you will have to winterize when you shut it down, decontaminate when you start it up and you increase the liklihood of of problems. I am just a consumer but if that 60 in your name means what I think it might I think that spending a bit for enjoyment would be a good move, unless $ are tight. Great place to do a little stretching too - its good for physical health and mental health.

Well my wife will argue with me on this but the last time I looked, it cost me about $200 to $250 per month to operate in the winter. She says it was a lot less and I can’t say for sure because she pays the bills. Our winters are not extremely cold, but it does drop below freezing and once in a while it snows for a day or two. I myself can’t take the shock of jumping out of hot water and running through freezing temps to the house although everybody else around here seems to enjoy it.

My wife wants the tub and is willing to compromise on shutting it down in the winter. I admit I defiantly need it myself. I don’t have that many more years before retirement and with the economy today my retirement is going to hurt so I’m trying to save as much as I can now.

If I did leave it operating all winter, I definitely need to buy the best cover they make and somehow insulate the bottom. Maybe I can fill it with foam or add 2” ridged foam insulation around the bottom of it for the winter.

Its not the jumping out. After a good soak your body heat is plenty to keep you warm toasty and steamy for your walk to the house. It's the gettin in that has to be quick.

johnnyb60 - Well, if your wife wants a tub, it's a slam dunk - you have to get her a tub!

But seriously, the extra cost to heat it through the winter should not be a huge amount more with a well insulated tub in a climate where you only get snow a couple of days per year. I would be very surprised if the difference in your electric bill for January was $200 more than your bill for July, so I am siding with your wife on that debate. If in doubt, look at the old bills, although that doesn't necessarily tell the whole story. There may be some things that you can do to provide extra insulation for the winter months but there are some precautions to take - there have been other threads about this.

I agree with Roger - no problem with the cold when I get out in winter. In fact I sometimes sit with a robe in a chaise lounge (we have a covered area near the tub) for awhile before heading in. One caveat - I usually don't wear a suit in the tub but when I do and get out in winter it seems that it gets cold almost immedaitely. Getting in is the tricky part - we have learned to coordinate our actions and get in the tub as fast as possible.

Well it has been over 5 years since I came up with that figure and I don’t remember now how figured it. My neighbor claims that they pay about $15 extra a month during the winter, but it’s just hard for me to believe that. I don’t know if they mean the whole cost of running the spa or the difference between winter and summer.

I found a monthly cost calculator for spas and it was around $30 a month @ 15 cents a KWH in OK. I pay 25 cents a KWH here and I believe the climate is about the same.

So anyway it looks like the spa is going to get fixed after all because I just had a new slab put in and I repainted it. My yard has been torn up for a while the concrete was being put in and I’ve made some major changes in the landscaping so want to get that done before making another mess from pulling out all the foam.

I don’t plan on staying here in CA for more than 5 years and I’m not taking it with me so a new one is out of the question.

IMG_4148_zps0e46b2fa.jpg

Without putting a meter on the tub it is always only speculation.

Well if my spa was working right now, I could find out what it will cost me through our power company. They installed a new meter this summer to the house that is accessible thru the internet. I haven’t tried it yet, but I understand that you first check the KW usage without the spa on and then with it on. Then you can get a good idea of what it’s going to be. Off course it would probably work best when its actually cold and monitor it overnight I guess.

Like I said I haven’t tried it so I don’t know exactly how it works, but I remember hearing a story on the news about someone checking his power usage while away from home. He saw that his power usage was way over the top and called his daughter who was at home at the time to check to see what was going on. Then suddenly it dropped to almost nothing and when he got home, he found out that his daughter was throwing a huge party