Confused, Which Hot Tub Would Be Best For Us?

shermitte

Been researching hot tubs for a couple of months on line now. We live in Ontario, Canada. The brands we're interested in are Marquis, Sundance, Dimension One, Jacuzzi. I love the bells and whistles like blue tooth stereo, lights and waterfalls. The technical stuff is beyond me. We are a 52 year old couple with 5 kids and 2 grandkids between us. Most of the time we would be using the hot tub by ourselves. I think we should have a larger tub but hubby wants a 4 man. He feels it will cost more money in hydro and maintenance/chemicals to maintain a larger tub and we just don't need it. Lounger or no lounger? All new to me, don't know. We live 1&1/2 hours from most of these dealers but we do have a Marquis and an Artesian dealer here.

Was given a quote on a loaded/Ultimate Marquis Euphoria from the more distant dealer. It is a 2012 show room model. It has the speaker system, waterfall, LED lights, footblasters, premium cover with lift, smaller storage bench and 2 tier stairs that I won't likely need. Retails for $13,995. Priced at $9,995. + $200. delivery.

Hubby says it's just too big and he just wants hot, swirling water.

I moreso understand the theraputic value of a hot tub.

I want something well built, inexpensive to operate and the fewer the problems the better.

Does anyone have any suggestions on the best brand and model to suit us? Consider best size, features, lounger???

Thanks in advance. We are 5'10" and 5'4" in height.

shermitte- welcome to the forum. The brands that you said that are interested in are all quality tubs (artesan I am not as familiar with) so I think you will do well with any of them.

Before I say more I must confess that I am not a bells and whistles kind of guy. I may be wrong but I believe that the more bells and whistles, the more likely you will have something go wrong and need to be fixed. That means that all other things being equal - you may expect to spend more, over time, to keep everything working. will you have to wait long for a distant dealer to service you? For some people, these may or may not be concerns. Stereos have a short warranty for a reason. Many choose to provide music in a different way, rather than have it in a spa. You can generally get better sound and more versatility and save $ with a music system separate from the tub. On the other hand, some like the convenience of just having the stereo integrated into the tub.

As for size, even for two it is nice to have options for seating - I move around in the tub a lot, my wife, not so much but she rarely stays in the same seat during our usual 30 minute soak. I like having a bit of room to do stretching, which is good for us all, but I never do unless I am in the tub. Having said that, the Eurphoria is a pretty big tub. But if you have room for it, the price to heat and maintain it will not be a great deal more than a smaller tub.

Marquis had a couple of tubs that I was very interested in, on paper. When we wet tested, I was disappointed that they were not a good fit for my wife and me. This in no way suggests that they may not be a great fit for you. Bottom line, I suggest that you try to wet test the tubs that you are interested in. It is especially important if you want a lounge, because, simply stated, most people do not fit well into most lounges.

Thank you for the reply and great advice. Have to rule out D1 due to unreputable dealers in our area. Will take a trip to Ottawa to wet test a few. Awful to say but I just want to get the purchase over with. Going to look for floor model deals. We've decided our absolute limit is 10k + tax. With your help I've gotten him to look at larger tubs.

Sitting in a hot tub with a bunch of people isn't near as nice as sitting in the tub with just one other person. Not to mention you are sharing the tub with multiple people who may not maintain the same hygiene levels that you would hope. We have had our tub for 4.5 years and have had someone other than my wife, son or myself in the tub maybe a dozen times.

Our tub is rated for 4-5 people, but in reality there is comfortable seating for only 3 people since it has a lounger (which I love). I would like a few more jets, but other than that its perfect for 2 people. 375 gallons of enjoyment and it cost ~$5000 including deck and electrical upgrades. Are you considering those in your $10k number?

I thought I would get a floating radio for out there, but after we got the tub we never wanted music. We use it for 30 minutes of relaxation or talking

My suggestion is to wet test whatever tub you are considering and buy something that fits the primary users. And remember the bigger the rub the more it will cost to heat and the longer it will take to drain, clean, refill and heat.

I already had a set of outdoor weatherproof speakers (Cambridge Soundworks) mounted on the fence posts -- had a spare stereo amp/tuner and ran the wires into the house. I would skip the stereo, install my own. Water and audio electronics don't mix well.

My current dealer told me two things he has never heard -- "I bought a tub too big" and "I bought one with too many jets."

Mine has enough jets and is a 7-seater - technically. Most often it's just the two of us. Occasionally four. Sometimes a party - people just have to wait their turn, that's all.

Is it really that much more work to clean a larger tub? I'm not sure what to expect in hydro bills. I guess it would be foolish to expect a $30.00 increase with the size of tubs I'm looking at in our Canadian climate. I'm not being sarcastic, I've never owned one. We won't bother with the stereo. Too many negative comments on them. I'm looking at an Optima, Jacuzzi J480, Vanguard and Euphoria. We realize we are going to have to pay for the setup and electrical. We're building a new deck around the hot tub as long as our contractor can get here before the snow flies.

Boy there are a lot of mixed reviews on those salt systems. Just want to keep things as simple as possible. If anyone has any more insight on particular models and makes have at er!!

Hello, I have a Hotsprings Jetsetter spa and love it. Its 3 years old with no problems. I had it hooked up with 220 volts so the jets and pumps will run at same time if needed. I could care less about the water fall and have a wireless speaker system hooked to my MP3, works great, but hardley ever use it, just like the peace and quiet. WE are 55 (5-11 ht ) and 52 (5-6 ht )years old. I have 5 grown kids also, but they have only used it 1 or 2 times. I made them shower first before intering and they just dident seem to care for it.. I love the lounger with moto-massage, This spa iis very low cost to run. I use the dichlor then bleach method, with a gallon of bleach lasting 6-7 weeks at 2.50 a gallon jug, only uses 3oz a day. I paided 5800.00 us plus tax for spa (2010 model), came with chem-steps-cover lifter, install, and tri-x filters,which you just clean and resuse. I did have to buy electrical box from Hotspring dealer for install, becouse I went 220 volts. The Hotsprings Vanguard is a great spa, almost got one, just was more money and expance and really did not need the bigger tub. The Jetsetter is a great spa for two people. I use spa everyday, helps with back pain, wife uses it 2-3 times week with me. Its one of the better things Ive bought in my life, upfront costs low and cheap to run. Make sure you get a Taylor water test kit and read posts in here on diclor/bleach method. Seams hard at first, but is really easy when you read/pratice balancing your water.

I live in Virginia, get all four seasons.

Hope this helps you,

Rick

shermitte - As I mentioned, I tend to move around a bit. Usually I do so to hit different areas with the jetting. Sometimes I do so because of temperature. I may get a bit warm sitting with water up to my chin, so I may move to where my shoulders or heart are out of the water. If we are in for a long time, I may move up to the cool down seat, where just my waist and legs are in the water. Occassionaly I even go up on the rim, but you can do that in any tub. Personally I like variety in depth and jetting since we use our tub a lot. Some folks find a favorite seat and are delighted with it and rarely move elsewhere.

Back to your original post - I think the Euphoria is a nice tub and could be a good choice if it fits you well.

We live 1&1/2 hours from most of these dealers but we do have a Marquis and an Artesian dealer here.

I'd be careful with a dealer 1½ hrs way, thats pretty far when issues arise. If you do go that route, I'd want to get in writing how long it would take to be out for repairs and what the trip/travel fee would be for warranty work. If Marquis and Artesian are you only local choices I'd say the brands are about equal and probably similar in energy use so it should be about what models fit you best, what kind of deal you can get and which dealer you prefer unless they both seem like somone you'd be happy dealing with over the life of your spa.

Well on paper this is what I have it narrowed down to. We WILL wet test if at all possible. Brand new Marquis Euphoria (ultimate package) with all the extras/upgraded everything here in our home town just blocks from the dealer for $10,500. + tax.

Or 1&1/2 hours away: New Sundance Optima (loaded) for $10,450. + tax delivered or floor model Jacuzzi j480 (loaded) for $10,450 + tax delivered. This dealer would charge $150.00 travel for any service call but says you would rarely need one and that most of the time the technician can help you over the phone.

It kind of sucks in this respect with being in a small town with less options.

I think what's bothering me is that I think the Euphoria retails for less than the other tubs and the Jacuzzi is the most expensive so likely the best deal? I can tell you that Club Piscine in Ottawa is a high volume dealer rated A with the BBB. The local dealer likely only sells a few tubs each year especially his Marquis brand r/t price. Not a member of the BBB. Therefore without the volume can't offer a great price. I Like the idea of how long Jacuzzi and Sundance have been around and from research I think they would really stand behind their product? We want the best combination of the best quality tub possible with the best therapeutic benefits, easiest to maintain and least amount of problems regardless of price. I know, we don't want much, lol!!

Not 100% sure which way to go but I think we would be wise to stay close to home. Any more advice from all you experts in the field?

All I know is that I was sure I was going to get an Optima. Then, I wet tested it and completely changed my mind. However, I also wasn't a huge fan of the J-365, wet. So, that style of tub just isn't right for me. I am now leaning toward a D1 Chaiman, if I can can stomach the big price increase, maybe a D1 Californian, but there are non to look at, let alone wet test. I love the Hotsprings Motomassage, but their tub configurations are goofy. If only the Envoy just had two seats where that extra captains chair is .... My search continues as well. Everytime I read from someone who bought a slightly lower tier tub like Hot Spot, I think that maybe those will be great and just fine, instead of all the bells and whistles on these high end tubs. I just want to make sure I get a really nice back massage. good luck ...

shermitte - You are in the home stretch of a process that I hope has not been unpleasant. You have narrowed the field down to three well made spas from quality respected manufacturers. I would say that all three tubs fall in the same realm in terms of "the best combination of the best quality tub possible with the best therapeutic benefits, easiest to maintain and least amount of problems regardless of price".

As we go through this process we tend to focus on which ONE is the best for us. It may be helpful to think in terms of "each of these tubs would be great for us - we can't go wrong". I would say being just a few block from the dealer vs. 1.5 hrs and $150 away would be a good reason to go with the Euphoria. What if you have a relatively simple question - ask if a tech could swing by on his way back to the shop. So ON PAPER, for me the Euphoria is the winner.

Get wet before you pull the trigger...

The Sundance and Jacuzzi are made in Mexico, the Marquis is American made. In my opinion, the Euphoria is the best option. Maybe ask the dealer if you there is anything more they can do on the display model? Or ask for a new Euphoria in the Signature configuration without the stereo, and upgraded lighting.

Well when I bought mine I didn’t need the speakers because like another here I had an outdoor sound system that I could modify it to whatever I wanted and not be stuck what a particular model, so that was out for me.

My wife wanted something to party in with lots of people so we got a big one. As it turned out that wasn’t so great and as someone else said it’s much better with just two. And kids are a real problem in the spa. So now our parties are narrowed down to dinner and barbeques without the spa. It’s just for us.

I like the lounger seat but wish it had more jets. The one place in our spa that has lots of jets does not have a very comfortable seat and when turned on full blast, nobody can stay in without being tied down.

Another problem with a large one is leaks. The more jets you have the more leaks you can have and they are not so fun to fix. At the moment I have 7 leaks and maybe more that are a huge pain. If I were to do it over again I would have never have bought the one I have and would have gone with just a two person one. At $5k I think it should have lasted a few more years before leaking.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, we narrowed the hot tub purchase to Marquis Euphoria Ultimate package. $11,865. Inc. taxes, delivered. Local dealer. Now for the twist. A dentist from the office I go to overheard me talking about hot tubs and came in to tell me he has an unused, not yet delivered hot tub he needs to sell. Problem is all the bad stuff I've heard on here about Master Spas. It's a twilight series 7.25. He says with all upgrades which are listed that with taxes it cost him $20,000. He is asking $8,000. and I'm sure he's open to offers. Should I consider it or run like hell?

Thanks guys!!

This is the rundown on the Twilight Series TS 7.25 tub.

$13,995.

3,800. Options and accessories

$17,795.

+ 13% tax

$20,110.

Asking $8,000.

Sterling silver marble shell

Duramaster ezprexxo exterior

Deluxe cover

Removable steps

Ozone sanitizer

Starter chemical kit

Deluxe waterline Led lights

Stainless steel jets

Deluxe fusion sound system

Brand new still in shrink wrap at warehouse

Free, direct delivery ( no 3rd party)

Tempting!!

What would you do?

This is the rundown on the Twilight Series TS 7.25 tub.

$13,995.

3,800. Options and accessories

$17,795.

+ 13% tax

$20,110.

Asking $8,000

Tempting!!

What would you do?

1) I would think to myself "Really, its supposedly $20k and they're selling it for only $8k"? That’s not even Master's top of the line spas and I'm supposed to believe that inflated MSRP? It probably always sells for about what they're asking though certainly it may be a better price than others pay typically but even so....

2) I persoanlly would not ignore the reputation Master has earned over the years. There used to be a Master apologist who would come here and say their bad press was just sales people trying to knock them for their own sake. He never could explain why you don't see the same thing with regard to the other major brands. Either everyone is out to ruin their reputation specifically or there is merit to it. You be the judge, if you choose to ignore what you see when you do a search so be it but IMO there are multiple better options out there without the red flashing warning signals.

I agree. I knew already this had to be MSRP. I would have asked to see his invoice. I think I would be an idiot to waste all the research I've done. Gonna stick with the Euphoria.

Just needed to get some experienced advice.

Thanks!

Good decision to stay on track and not get distracted by this curveball.

I have to wonder why a dentist would "have to sell" an un-used, not yet delivered hot tub". Suddend drastic change in finances? Buyers remorse? I am sure he has an explaination but nonetheless...

You have gone through a thoughtful process and will end up with the right tub at a fair price if you stay the course.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree. I knew already this had to be MSRP. I would have asked to see his invoice. I think I would be an idiot to waste all the research I've done. Gonna stick with the Euphoria.

Just needed to get some experienced advice.

Thanks!

So did you end up getting the Euphoria? Did you wet test them before deciding?

I have been looking for some time now and live in a rural are with only a hot spring and beachcomber dealer with 45min. We have expanded our dealer radius and now tried out several of the Jacuzzi models. We really like the j-480, not sure what to do now.

Yes, we did make a decision and ordered the 2013 Marquis Euphoria Ultimate package just last Friday. It will be here around Nov. 7th. Only trouble is our contractor hasn't even started on our deck yet. Worse comes to worse we'll pour the concrete pad for the tub and build the deck in the spring. Gotta have that tub!!

If I were you I would seriously look at Jacuzzi. Sounds like they are very well built and have a good warranty. If there had been a dealer here I would have checked them out. I also liked the look of the J-480 on paper. Hot spring by the sound of it is a very reputable dealer and also make a fine tub. They've been around a long time.

I am very pleased with my decision on the Euphoria. The local dealer seems to be a great guy and I think is more excited about the tub than we are. I was super happy to get a new upgraded speaker system with blue tooth and also aromatherapy, offered in the 2013 Euphoria. Sorry, but I love all the bells and whistles. Our dealer is located approx. 1 km from our house. I'm comfortable with that. I just feel very confident in the purchase as a whole. I sincerely hope you also can come to that conclusion. I feel,as wisely advised by the spa grandfathers, that it's most important to purchase close to home and buy a well made, reputable tub and I do believe there are quite a few.

No we did not wet test. Read lots, talked to several spa owners and jumped in with both feet! I'll let you all know what we think of our new tub once installed and then a after a period of time after owning it. I truly want to thank all of you for the knowledgeable advice. It's a daunting task and helpful advise is greatly appreciated!!

• 2 months later...

shermitte did you ever get this installed. we are between the euphoria and the sundance optima optima about $1k cheaper but that comes from a big chain dealer and the marquis comes from a local spa guy that has been around a while and seems to really take care of his customers?