Is It Cheaper To Get A New Inground Pool In One State Or Another?

If someone wants to buy and have installed a brand new inground pool (maybe even a custom one), is it cheaper to buy a brand new inground pool and have it installed in one part of the country versus another? (in the U.S.) As far as I know, a nice inground pool might cost between $20,000-$40,000+ (installed) depending where you live. I hear a new inground pool might cost more in a place like California than it would in a place like VA, NC, GA, or FL. Anybody know if it would be cheaper in one place or another, even outside of the geographical areas I have mentioned? I want an inground pool that is a minimum of 8' deep so that I can have a diving board.

Yes, location matters. So will the type of pool construction (liner, concrete, or fiberglass), features desired, and how much you want/are able to do yourself..

A $40,000 pool isn't likely to get you everything you want but it'll be close. Size, decking, fencing, etc.... make this a huge variable too.

Scott

Absolutely, I would consider moving to a new state if I was able to get a great deal on a custom pool. It would have to be significant though to override all other factors. Where is it cheaper to buy a custom pool, or a good predesigned pool, and have it installed, FL, VA, NC, SC, GA, CA, AZ, TX, TN, AL, NV, OR, CO, or MO? I personally want a pool with a deep end of 8'+ so I can have a good diving board. I would want it to be either a fiberglass or concrete pool, probably fiberglass.

You are going to be pretty limited in your selection of a fiberglass by requiring an 8' depth.

If by a good diving board, you mean a 1 meter spring board, you're looking at 10 to 12' of depth and longer and wider slopes for the hopper.

For the rest of us, we have non-spring loaded boards. Very little bounce.

Pool installers need warmer weather to work so the more Southern states can be priced more competitively.

Don't get fixated on cheaper. You'll get what you paid for but that may not be what you need.

Scott

Scott

Location absolutely matters. In the San Francisco Bay Area in California, a very basic bare-bones 16'x32' in-ground plaster pool will run $40,000. If you have it be of moderate quality, have a solar system, an automatic pool cover, gas heater, you get to $70-80,000. If you go with rock waterfalls, free-form shape, nice decking, attached spa, automation and other features, you can push to $120,000 or more (see this thread for more examples of pricing in the S.F. Bay Area). In more competitive markets (i.e. where there are lots of pools) such as Arizona, Florida and even southern California prices are substantially lower and in areas of the country where labor rates are much lower, prices can be half of what I quoted. Vinyl pools cost less and of course above-ground pools even less. See this site for an example of the lower prices in Florida and comparing different pool types where they note a custom in-ground plaster pool for $34,000 (though it looks smaller than an 18,000 gallon pool). This site notes a nationwide average $50 per square foot (in 2008) for in-ground plaster pool cost which would be about $26,000 for 16'x32' bare-bones. This link has estimates in Virginia with $20-45,000 for in-ground plaster without decking or options. Just note how "features" such as solar systems can add a lot to the price.

Are there any advantages or disadvantages to having a Concrete Pool? I am looking to have a pool built that is 10+ feet deep. Are there any other options for the type of pool if I want it to be 10+ feet deep at one end? such as, has anyone ever seen a 10+ foot deep fiberglass or vinyl pool? From what I have been reading, a fiberglass pool is the cheapest type of pool to maintain, mainly because of low maintainance fees and never having to replace the liner. Just wondering if a Concrete Pool would require about the same maintainance as a fiberglass pool or more. When I think of concrete pools, I think of southern california and people skateboarding in pools, and also I think most commercial/community pools are concrete, it doesn't seem like a concrete pool would require a lot of maintainance. Also, would a Concrete pool be more expensive to buy and have installed than a fiberglass one or less?

There are no fiberglass pools 10' deep. That would make them too long and too wide to travel on a truck. The main reason they have a lower chemical usage is they are smaller. It's that simple. The gel coat on them does wear out. Nothing will make it look new again though some paints will make a markedly improved appearance over a work shell's existing. It's a lot of work though.

Liner and plaster pools can go to 10' deep. Remember though, with the added depth, the width and length of the bottom and slope increase.

You'll get just as wet regardless of the pool, even a kiddy pool. Wet is wet.

A plaster pool has a little more care needed than a liner pool in most cases due to the need to watch the calcium level. With liner pools, this is usually only needed in areas of hard water but for all plastered pools, the calcium is the main ingredient in the cement used and, with plain plasters and products like Diamond Brite, the marble dust in them is also largely calcium. Water, being the "Universal Solvent", when a pool is incorrectly balanced, can either etch or form scale if the pH balance is off. Not a big deal as testing and corrective action are pretty simple.

Different plasters have different life spans. Plain plaster lasts about 10 years and is then redone. High aggregate finishes, such as Pebble Tech or Wet Edge Pearl Matrix have live spans over 25 years. I have never heard of either being replaced due to wear. They cost more but when amortized over the same life span, they come out less costly.

Liners by me typically last about 10 to 12 years and are then replaced.

Costs will vary for each by location. An apples to apples comparison doesn't exist as every build or install is different. As I have said before, beware of low bids. That usually winds up costing you more somewhere.

Scott

Scott