Ready To Remodel. Pipe Size?

kpolak

Ready to start renovation on the 16' x 40' lazy 'L' pool, approximately 23,000 gallons.

Hayward 1-1/2 hp superpump with a 1-1/2" inlet

Hayward S244T Sand filter

Hayward H250FD Heater (250,000 btu)

My typical pressure at the filter is 12 psi.

Existing suction and return lines are 1-1/2"

All other piping past the pump to the filter and heater are 1-1/2"

Return lines are 1-1/2"

Since we are replacing the skimmers I wanted to make sure the underground is updated. I am planning to make sure the suction lines are schedule 40, and the rest of the existing lines will be pressure tested.

The pool seems to work well when all the suction lines are open, but I can't turn off one skimmer to increase pressure to vacuum, as it causes air to enter the system, and the pump starts to cavitate.

I am planning to investigate the the piping, and make sure all is in tact.

Should I upsize the suction lines to 2"?

Thanks,

Kurt

Nope. No real need to bump up the plumbing line size.

What I do see is a too small a heater and too big a motor for your pool.

I also suspect the pressure gauge is bad or there isn't enough sand in the filter or the sand has channeled (not likely though possible). I would expect 16-18 PSI with a clean filter system of this size.

Scott

If the motor isn't too old, I'd just put a smaller, one HP impeller and seal set for the pump and the heater warrants a 400,000 BTU unit because of the surface area of the pool.

Scott

Given what I estimate your systems resistance to be, you should probably drop to a 1hp pump. You will most likely have a higher GPM than your plumbing and filter can handle (both are rated at around 62 GPM, your pump will move about 64).

So it won't be a deal breaker, but your pump will have a lot less strain on itself if it were a little smaller.

If the motor isn't too old, I'd just put a smaller, one HP impeller and seal set for the pump and the heater warrants a 400,000 BTU unit because of the surface area of the pool.

Scott

+1

Only thing i would add is if the pool is older than 30 years, confirm that your underground is plastic(PVC) and not copper. If it is copper, then i would replace the underground, and MAYBE go with 2".