Evolution Spas From Costco

Jen07

Just ordered Evolution Spas Signature Salt water spa from Costco. I have read many reviews and decided to take the plunge anyway because of Costco's awesome return policy which gives us a chance to send back if we are not fully satisfied. Anyone else have one of these spas? If so, what are your comments on our purchase? Any suggestions welcome! Thanks

Just ordered Evolution Spas Signature Salt water spa from Costco. I have read many reviews and decided to take the plunge anyway because of Costco's awesome return policy which gives us a chance to send back if we are not fully satisfied. Anyone else have one of these spas? If so, what are your comments on our purchase? Any suggestions welcome! Thanks

I've had the Evolution Magnum 90 from Costco for a year and a half now. I had one problem with a pump that was fixed with one phone call to Strong Spas. I would do it again!

I have read many reviews and decided to take the plunge anyway

I'm not sure why you bothered to read any reviews but good luck, time will tell. It will help if you are a true DIYer.

Most of the reviews were positive but anyway, i will let you know how everything works. The thing Im really glad about is the return policy. If we are not fully satisfied, bye bye costco tub! lol

If, hypothetically (and I am NOT claiming in this thread it is true for Strong/Evolution) Costco was to sell a high quality spa, local "ma + pa" dealers would have a lot to worry about...which is why you get strong opinions on this forum.

As far as my own experience...had an Evolution for 14 months...delivered in 3 weeks, rather than 4-6...yes, I had to hire someone on my own for $200 to deliver to the back yard, and $650 more for electrical. I liked being able to put it down directly on existing pea gravel without voiding warranty...My only problem was a headrest that came off after 2-3 months. Even though they are specifically excluded from the warranty, one quick call and they sent out a replacement for free (no shipping charges either)...that included a new attachment piece that I could install with 2 screws in two minutes. Certainly easier than waiting all afternoon for a repairman! As far as the function and energy use, we are completely satisfied.

Yes, thats the one! My friend is an electrician so we will be all set before it arrives. Usually takes 4-6 Weeks for delivery apparently. Did you purchase one from costco too? I am quite excited about it actually lol

I can understand your excitement - we were very excited as we got ready for our tub. We use ours year around. Love to be in it on a snowy night and crazy as it seems it felt good to be in it on a recent morning with temps in the mid-80s on a day that would hit mid-90s. We used it more when we first got it but we still use it 3 or more times per week.

Very nice to have an electrician friend to do the electrical work - you can save some $. I think the tub pulls quite a bit of juice with all of the pumps,etc, so if it didn't work out for you, the electrical system should be able to power just about anything that you might choose to replace it with.

No, i don't have an Evolution or costco spa - I have a fairly simple D1 model that we enjoy alot. Good luck with your tub!

• 3 weeks later...

Very interesting post, as I just went back and forth for a month on whether to buy the Costco spa... In the end I decided to go with a local Jacuzzi dealer and pulled the trigger on Friday. Like to throw my business to local companies when possible.

Please keep us updated on energy usage, etc...

Enjoy your tub!

• 2 months later...

So its been a couple months with my 110 Signature Salt water spa from Costco. We absolutly LOVE IT and would recommend it to anyone! Strong spas is a great company to deal with for customer service. The Jets are fabulous, the Sound system is better than I would ever imagine from a hottub, the seats are super comfortable, and it is by far the best purchase we ever made! Our electrical bill was only $20 extra which is a plus as well. Great deal, superb tub! Thanks everone for all of your comments! :)

• 5 years later...

7 years in with an Evolution tub, from Costco.  Replaced the cover 6 months ago... not desperate, but was getting heavy, meaning it was absorbing water.   A few months ago, one of the pumps started having a slow leak at the "wet end seal" ...  Went back and forth about calling a pro, trying to change it myself, or just not worrying about it until it got worse... A pro wanted 500-600$ to fix... ended up ordering the part from Spa Depot... was told it was likely the single most popular spa pump used... and 7-10 years is the typical life... so ended up replacing it myself for < $300, ~ 4 hours, and only one skinned knuckle.  One of the things that attracted me to Evolution (by Strong) was, at least in 2011, they used just industry standard parts, as opposed to Jacuzzi(?) and possibly some others that used proprietary parts that are harder to source, and more expensive to replace. 

I also had the spa wired in such a way that I could easily attach an energy meter if I wanted to, but never did.  I would GUESS the spa uses $40-$50 worth of electricity in the winter, and too little to notice in the summer.  Keep in mind the Puget Sound has mild winters, and cheap electricity.  I have seen no strong evidence that any brand of spas will use substantially more or less electricity than others.  Much of the heat is likely lost thru the cover, anyway.

So in the end, I am happy with the brand, and the Costco purchasing experience, in particular for someone who is willing to handle some of the installation tasks on there own... or in my case, via independent paid experts, Costco of course did not coordinate any of that other than basic delivery.