Watkins Grandee Circ. Pump Help.

brokenrod

Hi all. New member, first post. We have a Watkins Grandee G271099 that has been sitting for a few years ( 5yrs to be exact). I finally got around to opening it up and starting it and all is well except for the heater and/or circulator pump. Whenever I turn the heater on, the safety switch trips and i get the blinking red light on the panel. after some troubleshooting, i realized i have no power coming out of the board going to the circ pump. I jumped the pump leads over to ozone gen. and light, but still no pump ( tried a plastic mallet on the pump to free it up too).

I'm pretty sure the pump is locked up and i need to purchase another one. My main question is- should the circulator pump run full time? I'm a little concerned about buying a pump and finding out that the circuit board is trashed too ( since i have no power coming out). I was thinking about disabling the ozone and getting power from that if the pump runs constant.

Am I on the right track? Is this a feasable option? This is my first spa, and really would like to enjoy it.

Thanks,

Brokenrod....

Don't know for sure about your model, but a circulation pump normally runs constantly.

Did you check the output with a voltmeter?

Simply swapping with the ozonator leads doesn't tell you much because if your board is like mine the ozonator is controlled by the board to turn on & off usually every half hour (or whatever is set by the low level programming), so it may be quite normal for there to be NO voltage at the ozone circuit.

For the circ pump, there is most likely a fuse somwhere on the board. I'd start there

Yes, I did check the output with a volt meter, and jumped the pump over to the light circuit ( which i know works), but still had no pump. The only fuse that i see is on the ozone generator box- which happens to be good. I am trying to get in touch with Hot springs for a definitive answer on wether or not the circ. pump should run constant. Thanks for your help.

When you ckecked voltage at the circ pump and ozone terminals- you're saying there's no voltage present?

There's no fuse on a 97 Grandee circ pump- you should just be getting voltage 24/7, unless it's in summer mode- in which case the heater wouldn't fire up. The ozone terminals (just to the right of the circ pump terminals) are not affected by the summer mode- and should stay hot 24/7 regardless. If everything else works, you could just steal a hot and neutral from the 20 amp line at the main terminal block, and energize the circ pump that way- the 97 control box is fairly expensive (over 500 iirc)

I would do all your testing on something other than the (expensive) control box. For example: connect it up to a power cord, or jump it over to one side of the 20A incoming power (it is a 110V pump). It may be worth taking it out - plug the lines with corks - and opening it up on the bench. They can get frozen up with a bit of calcium from when the water dried up all those years ago, or slime can form and then harden as it dries. They have very low starting torque, so it may take nothing more than a basic clean out with a wet rag to get it going again.

Only after you are sure you have a good, running pump - which is not shorted and pulling way too much amperage - would I then swap the leads over to the ozone leads.

HTH