Sta-Rite Sr200Na Problem

TNick

Sta-Rite SR200NA, about two years old quit on me. When I started the heater, I received an AFS error and heater would not ignite. I checked the air flow switch and it was working fine. After checking everything over I found there was water in the exhaust vent. I disconnected the heater, poured the water out, hooked everything back up and the heater works. My question is, where did the water come from? Is there an internal leak, or could enough water filled up through the vent to where it stopped some exhaust flow?

Agreed! While we contributors may suggest a brand and model of something, we won't try to sell anyone anything.

I do agree with the likelihood of the hole theory though. There is only one way I know to verify it and that is to take the top off the chamber with the unit turned off. While adding heat may effect when the leak shows, usually, it will leak when it's off too.

Scott

It seems the probability of a pin hole leak on a 2 year old heater and heat exchanger is small. Perhaps the water came from somewhere else. I always have water in my exhaust vent........from rain or my sprinklers. :rolleyes:

Having to deal with heat exchanger problems of my own recently (thank you PC and PGNJ), I'd be surprised if the heat exchanger is "toast" (or "tost", as Wizzard puts it).

After checking everything over I found there was water in the exhaust vent.

Are you sure it was the exhaust and not the intake(air)? This is located inside the heater, the exaust is outside the heater. When you get a hole in the exchanger, the firebox fills with water and eventually comes out the air intake for the blower. The exhaust(port) is higher and, well, you just wouldn't get pool water out of there since the intake is lower.

I disconnected the heater, poured the water out,

How much water would you say you poured out? IF the box filled with water to the point where it would come out the heater, you would get(at least) a couple of gallons of water.

hooked everything back up and the heater works.

If you completely flooded the box, the HSI too would get flooded too. The HSI would still work, and fire the heater, but you would no longer get (flame) rectification from it, and the heater would shut down after a few seconds.

My question is, where did the water come from? Is there an internal leak, or could enough water filled up through the vent to where it stopped some exhaust flow?

There are 10 bolts that hold the manifold to the exchanger. Remove either of the two bolts closest to the ground. If your box is flooded, you will get water out the bolt hole. That will confirm a leak in the exchanger.

A picture of the point where the water came out would clear things up.

I replaced the heater two years ago with the identical model. The old heater had electrical problems, but the water system was all fine. I kept the old heater in my shed in the event I would ever need a part from it. Is it feasible to replace the coil assembly from the old heater? I'm assuming this is where the leak is that you are talking about. I'd guess that I should replace the insulation as well as the compartment was full of water.