New Light Wont Fit Into Niche

My pool light was out, and stupidly I cut the light cord at the fixture and brought the light to my nearest pool store for a replacement (my friend told me you couldn't replace the bulb because it was a sealed unit.

Anyway, the light I had was small and said "Sunbrite" on it. The replacement I was given was the same size but an Aqualight by Pentair. They said this light should fit.

I pulled the new cord through the conduit without a problem, cut the cord and made my electrical connections, but not I cannot get the light to fit into the niche. I can get it secure but there is a major gap between the light and the pool wall. It seems that the niche had two metal plates (one on top with a screw hole and one on the bottom) that are preventing the new light from fitting securely into the niche.

Am I just not trying hard enough? Should I cut the metal plates out and use a light wedge to secure the light? I am at a loss. The pool company is of no help and they won't let me return the light because I already cut the wires.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Pulleyman

1) Sunbrite niches and fixtures are obsoleted out by the manufacturer.

2) Aqualites are a 1/2" larger at the face plate's rim.. I suspect this is keeping the fixture from seating fully in the niche. Does the original fixture fit inside the rim of the niche with a ring surrounding the fixture? Is the new fixture bumping into this?

A light wedge is intended to handle when the top metal tab's gone but not the bottom one. If the Aqualite can reach the lower tab, and you can remove the upper tab (not easy as its either spot welded or built in and needs to be ground down) and the extra diameter of the fixture can be made flush then, a wedge can be used,

Scott

The Sunbrite has a diameter of 5.58"

The Jandy version is 5.8" and the Hayward's is 5.75" according to my docs. Both are too big to fit in the niche. My Fiberstars doc is a couple seasons old and doesn't list the size.

Scott

Your best bet is probably going to be the Hayward Universal Color light. They claim that they have been designed to fit outdated niches, like Anthonys. I'm sure that they will fit a Sunlite as well (although I only have limited info on the light at this moment). Try checking out their website. Good luck!

Most pool lights anticipate the replacement of the bulb. Yes it is a sealed unit. Unscrew the unit from the back, replace the bulb, and reseal the unit, JOB WELL DONE. If your new light housing does not fit the nitch, Ouch! Most manufacturers have upgrades for discontinued products that will fit. If you can fit the light into the nitch, and secure it with one screw leaving only a small gap then it is what it is. The nitch is always full of water in any case, no big deal. Give me the model number of the origional, or the name, or even post a picturer. I can easy help you with this one. piece of cake.