Pump Whining

JFS

have 2yr old pump i was using to drain my elevated spa. i accidentally left pump on to long it ran about 8 min just sucking air it was making "VERY LOUD WHINING SOUND" i primed the pump and in about ten min the whining gradually dissapeared

what caused whining sound?

did it fix itself or have I done some permanent damage

Thanks

JOE

The whining was the sound of your pump crying because it was so thirsty. I wouldn't assume that you did any lasting damage if it only ran dry for a couple of minutes, but if this is a common occurance then I would think you may have caused some harm. As long as teh grinding goes away you will be fine. When the motor dies, it dies, and until then just run it (with water) and you will be fine.

Also, in the future you should just divert a little suction to the spa and change all returns back to the pool. It will take longer to drain but there will not be a risk of running dry if you pull primarily from your pool.

Is the pump leaking? If pump is not leaking, at the point where the pump joins the moter then you are good. Never dry run a pool, or spa pump. you will burn up the shaft seals, and even possibly melt the pump. Never ever run a pump dry, you wil destroy the pump (wet end). Most NOISE in pumps comes from dry bearings. What happens in most cases is,... The shaft seals begin leaking, water runs own the shaft to the forward bearings. watr gets into the bearings and drys them out, they corode, and wear faster exposed to water. the motor shaft, also exposed to water rusts, and enlarges du to oxidation, rust. This breaks the impeller shaft, crack/split, and the seals leak even more. the pump makes lots o noise, it soon seizes up, and you call me.

I do moter rebuilds for 120.00 complete, Includes bearngs, shat seals, and all O=rings. Impellers are extra if that far gone.

Motors make noise or they dont. Moters do not fix themslves. They do not fix themselves. Motor running in an air lock will not sound like a moter under a load.